Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says perspex of glass for sliding doors what would you use? Ive built a viv all i need to sort is the removable partition in it to house my female fire and female jcp,not sure what to use for the doors,and if glass should it be toughened? thanks

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Toughened glass is always better, saves on the accidents! As for glass/perspex, both have pros and cons; glass weighs a great deal more- an important consideration with a big viv- but perspex gets scratched relatively easily.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i never over 3 years noticed signs of deformaty in regards to heat however like i sed i notice a slight and i must admit it was very slight yellowie tinge to the said perspex

from there ive always used glass, its cheap too if from a glazier, i paid 11 quid for 2 x 4mm 6ft tall 2ft wide pieces of toughened and smoothed off glass doors

hope that helps

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Perspex is expensive, difficult to cut perfectly straight, scratches easily, flexes, loses heat easily.

Glass is cheaper, readily made to size, slides easier and looks a million times nicer

Hate perspex with an absolute passion!!!

Perspex or Glass.......

GLASS GLASS GLASS GLASS...... oh and just a reminder.. GLASS :lol2::lol2:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
yea thanks just gotta find a cheap glazier now the main one near me quite exspensive.
Find volly on here... they had a few spare sheets kicking around a few weeks ago I paid £25ish with delivery for 2 sheets of 460*610 for my 4*2*2 build

·
Registered
153 Posts
My mrs is getting me some acrylic today from where she works. Cut on a CNC machine..happy days :Na_Na_Na_Na:

But failing that I'd go to a local glazier for glass and see about the prices. Couldn't be doing with cutting acrylic myself.
Float glass is the cheapest, but laminated glass is the best. If broken it doesn't break into millions of pieces like toughened glass, but that all depends on your budget obviously.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is laminated cheaper than toughened?and is it as strong as i have a one year old who likes to peer in hands and face on the glass sometimes bangs on it.so for that reason im thinking toughend?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Its more expensive that toughened, as far as I know, but I'm not sure by how much.

When toughened glass breaks it drops to the floor in tiny pieces. But with laminated glass the laminated sheets either side hold it together if it breaks.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
i never over 3 years noticed signs of deformaty in regards to heat however like i sed i notice a slight and i must admit it was very slight yellowie tinge to the said perspex

from there ive always used glass, its cheap too if from a glazier, i paid 11 quid for 2 x 4mm 6ft tall 2ft wide pieces of toughened and smoothed off glass doors

hope that helps
wow that is cheap!!! I paid more than £50 for 4 panes of 1x1.5ft glass :O

1 - 13 of 13 Posts