Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im a bit concerned about vet bills if my darling Legs (nelsons milk)gets ill so i was wondering...
1) is there any insurance i can take out to cover him?
2) can you recommend any good companys?
3) how much does it cost?
4) is it worth getting?
x thanks in advance x

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
there are loads of pet insurance companys on the web if you put it into your browser i think its just a case of finding the best deal, sorry i cann`t help with cost or if they are any good as i don`t use them

·
Registered
1 Posts
slashvenom said:
hey im a bit concerned about vet bills if my darling Legs (nelsons milk)gets ill so i was wondering...
1) is there any insurance i can take out to cover him?
2) can you recommend any good companys?
3) how much does it cost?
4) is it worth getting?
x thanks in advance x
I found a company, the only company I must say, and I got a quote for my corn for £85 for a year which covers vets bills up to a £1,000, anyway its called exotic direct and this is the website:

http://www.exoticdirect.co.uk/

Davey

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Yes - I use Exotic Direct too - made a claim once for my beardie and they were really good and not only paid my vet fees but also gave me what I paid for her (though to me she was totally irreplaceable and I still haven't got another beardie) . They pay up quickly too.

·
Registered
632 Posts
exotics direct would be the company i'd use if i didn't work ata vets, its the only reptile company that we advertise, although pet plan is going to be looking into covering reps too on a special request from our practise... i guess its watch this space for that though!!

G

·
they only cover upto 9 pets??
i need insure way more than that...and upto 9 its gonna cost me £8...is that a week or a month?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I have 3 insurance policies with exotic direct.

Policy (1) covers my BP + 3 rankins dragons - total ins. payout p.a. is £1000 (way I look at it is, my dragons are unlikely, I hope, to get ill the same time as my BP) One year's immediate premium is c.£90-100 (can be paid in 10 monthly instalments)

Policy (2) my boa - but she's a hypo and is worth that alone just to cover herself (it cost me about £90 p.a. for a one-off payment)

Policy (3) this last one is for my parrot

So you can cover multiple pets per policy and it's cheaper if you pay once per year rather than monthly D/D but it's up to you. The maximum is 4 normals per policy. Hope this makes sense! Insurance costs, but then it's peace of mind - you never know what's round the corner. As for me - I'm on BUPA ;)

Edit: Just thought I'd add - I'm not an Exotic Direct Representative though perhaps I ought to be, the number of times I recommend them! :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Well Im going for a different way of covering my reptiles. Going to get a credit card which I only use if my reps need anything done at the vets. Means I have the money there and then and I can pay it back when I can. Means I dont pay out for insurance I dont use and only pay for what i need.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
NNY said:
Well Im going for a different way of covering my reptiles. Going to get a credit card which I only use if my reps need anything done at the vets. Means I have the money there and then and I can pay it back when I can. Means I dont pay out for insurance I dont use and only pay for what i need.
Good idea! but that will not cover the loss of an expensive snake i.e. a snow boa! Still I think pet insurance isn't worth it once you get to a certain number of animals..... Thats a much better way of protecting urself

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Luckily I dont have expensive snakes as of yet... I would consider the insurance for expensive snakes but for vet bills a credit card is a better way. Ive got 26 snakes now and the insurance for me would be a hell of a lot.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
NNY said:
Luckily I dont have expensive snakes as of yet... I would consider the insurance for expensive snakes but for vet bills a credit card is a better way. Ive got 26 snakes now and the insurance for me would be a hell of a lot.
Exaclty! I now have 10 reps and to insure those would be more than I think its worth it... I'm gonna have some expensive one hopefully soon!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I prefer just paying the vets bills. Have a savings account especially for this reason. Had to dip into it recently to get the kitties castrated :lol:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I'm sure they thanked you for it :lol:

Actually I think the special savings account is a good idea - trouble is I'm not very good at saving :( I wonder what the breeders with lots of, say, exotic ball pythons do - some of those BP morphs run into thousands ...

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I would guess they insure them for theft/fire/flood but not medical conditions. Thats what most large mammal breeders do, but I cant say Ive ever met a big rep breeder who insured their stock.

·
Registered
632 Posts
insurance seems like alot to pay to me i'm considering it for my cats as 90% of RTAs etc cost a fortune!!! (scarlet) - might be an idea if your little babies go out! but the main probs with reps r resp inf, kidney prob, mites, ecdysis, anorexia or obesity obviously there are some more odd bod probs but not so common, the majority can be prevented though :?

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I've never seen specific insurance plans for reptiles, but I know many vets do their own plans.

I have insurance for my cats, and it's well worth it. I had to use once, and the amount I saved will pay the premium I pay for years to come :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys I think I will check out exotic direct thingy website an go from there...my dogs and cats are already insured which saved me a crippling £480 vet bill this month after one of my dogs sliced her foot open :shock: so I know insurance can come in handy...I just i didnt know where to start as reptiles are usually a bit awkward when it comes to vet type things :lol:
by the way I only want to insure the one snake
x Thanks again x

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
Check the policy details well, I believe that pet insurance doesn't cover problems associated with breeding animals.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts