Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is about ethics

My daughter had a 2` fishtank for xmas, she had put a few fish and crabs in it caught at the local beach, she wanted some "Nemo" fish, I talked her out of this in favor of some tropical fish, so after a clean and prep we went to the petshop to get some tropical fish, we came out with a Basilisk lizard:blush:
we live in Spain so there is a bit of a language barrier when it comes to technical issues, but we did ask:
Will our 2` tank be big enough-Yes
Is the 18" strip light right-Yes
Will it be warm enough-Yes but a heat lamp will be better,
do we have to have a heat lamp-no
what sex is it-you cant tell till they get older,
he then told us about food and that it needs to be kept moist
, and that was it we came out the owners of a basilisk lizard, 2 days later my other daughter went back with her mum and came home with a terrapin to keep it company, this was 2 weeks ago,

at the time I had no idea what type of lizard it was (yes i know lol) so I went on the Internet to try to identify it, 2 days surfing later and its OMFG:censor::censor::censor:

I have replaced the bulb for a uvb reptile type
installed a ceramic heat bulb,
got a day night thermostatic controller
humidity sensor
some food supplement powder
and i am just about to order some materials to build a bigger viv,

To the shop assistant it was obvious from my basic questions that I had no knowledge of keeping lizards, with hindsight i feel it was irresponsible of him to sell me the Basilisk, I am presuming this is not the norm?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
This post is about ethics

My daughter had a 2` fishtank for xmas, she had put a few fish and crabs in it caught at the local beach, she wanted some "Nemo" fish, I talked her out of this in favor of some tropical fish, so after a clean and prep we went to the petshop to get some tropical fish, we came out with a Basilisk lizard:blush:
we live in Spain so there is a bit of a language barrier when it comes to technical issues, but we did ask:
Will our 2` tank be big enough-Yes
Is the 18" strip light right-Yes
Will it be warm enough-Yes but a heat lamp will be better,
do we have to have a heat lamp-no
what sex is it-you cant tell till they get older,
he then told us about food and that it needs to be kept moist
, and that was it we came out the owners of a basilisk lizard, 2 days later my other daughter went back with her mum and came home with a terrapin to keep it company, this was 2 weeks ago,

at the time I had no idea what type of lizard it was (yes i know lol) so I went on the Internet to try to identify it, 2 days surfing later and its OMFG:censor::censor::censor:

I have replaced the bulb for a uvb reptile type
installed a ceramic heat bulb,
got a day night thermostatic controller
humidity sensor
some food supplement powder
and i am just about to order some materials to build a bigger viv,

To the shop assistant it was obvious from my basic questions that I had no knowledge of keeping lizards, with hindsight i feel it was irresponsible of him to sell me the Basilisk, I am presuming this is not the norm?
I wouldn't say its the norm at all. Like any business, you get good ones and you get bad ones. What the owner did was hugely irresponsible.

There are plenty of people here who have had bad experiences and bad advice given by reptile shops. Some is down to a lack of knowledge, ignorance or even just people who never changed with the times. Most people chalk it up to just selling the reptile and making money but I don't think this is the case. If the shop owner could have sold you a big viv, UV, Thermostat and heat lamsp he could have. Instead he didn't.

It's obviously very important that the keeper does their own research on the animals beforehand so they can make an educated decision. Unfortunately a lot of trust is placed in reptile shops (and understandably so). Afterall, You would expect them to know what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
luckilly you had the sense to look it up quickly i would also increase the size of the viv 2ft isnt really big enough for a true temp gradient. good luck with it mate,

·
Registered
114 Posts
although the shop owner undoubledly gave you bad advise, you also need to shoulder some responsability, what ever you were told , you still made an impulse buy of an animal, this seldom ends well, even after keeping animals for over 35 years i still still go away after seeing an animal i want to take on, and do as much research and reading as possible, that having been said fortunately you sound like one of the few people who are prepared to right there mistake, so well done on that and good luck

·
Registered
178 Posts
Steve please don't take this personally as it is not meant as a personal attack but a comment on the subject you have raised.

I can understand people feeling that the shops are being irresponsible but not all the blame falls there. Buying an animal when you have no idea about the care needs seems to me to be just as irresponsible as the pet shop selling it to someone with no knowledge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve please don't take this personally as it is not meant as a personal attack but a comment on the subject you have raised.

I can understand people feeling that the shops are being irresponsible but not all the blame falls there. Buying an animal when you have no idea about the care needs seems to me to be just as irresponsible as the pet shop selling it to someone with no knowledge.
you and grasser are quite right and I have been irresponsible and I am trying to rectify this?
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, lol,
The main difference between me and the shopkeeper is that I had no idea about the lizards requirements and he did. I relied on his advise, I thought I had asked the right questions and had no reason to believe I was being given incorrect advice,

saying
Buying an animal when you have no idea about the care needs seems to me to be just as irresponsible as the pet shop
is fine from your (and now my)perspective as an educated reptile owner, but as a layperson your perspective is different, and I saw no problem following the advice of the shop keeper, before the Internet i would of thought this would be the primary souse of advice for reptile keepers,

·
Registered
178 Posts
is fine from your (and now my)perspective as an educated reptile owner, but as a layperson your perspective is different, and I saw no problem following the advice of the shop keeper, before the Internet i would of thought this would be the primary souse of advice for reptile keepers,
Your right Steve. In a perfect world you would hope common sense would win and people would find out what there getting in to before hand.

It's the age old problem of impulse buying and live animals. Some people just don't think it through. Personally I think they should have a cool of period like the US have when buying guns.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Spain is not known as a great country for animal welfare overall sadly.
Ive visited a few shops in the south close to gibraltar and the standards have been shocking, but then this is a country that throughs live animals of the top of tall buildings and so on..
But as bad as this shop seems the buyer also has a role to play, least things seem to be heading the right way now?

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Is the terrapin still living with the basilisk? Tbh I know nothing about the temps / needs for basilisks and little about terrapins, but generally mixing species isn't a great idea especially if their needs are different / one may attack the other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't feel bad

I work in a place that sells reptiles and other exotics and there is no way I would have sent you home with what you went home with. Should people beware of purchasing animals with out knowing much about them? Yes. But that doesn't excuse them from what they did to you!

Beware pet sales;
1. Where you don't know what your looking that take under a half an hour.
2. Where the associate doesn't ask you questions about your expectations in a pet and your willingness for care.
3. Rushing and the answer always being "purchase it a friend". Most animals don't need friends. Exceptions being schooling fish. And if you came in explaining that you were overwhelmed with your current pet, giving you a second one is malicious.
4. You buy an animal and the set up is cheaper than the animal. Expect the set-up to at least match if not double the price of the pet.
5. The associate does not tell you the full size or life expectancy of the pet. (Sure that baby green iguana is beautiful, but do you have a gigantic enclosure for the adult? or are you willing to take care of a 50 year old tortoise?)
6. You waiver on the idea, and they insist. If your freaking out they shouldn't be selling you anything except literature.
7. They give you expectations that exceed the realm of the possible. I.e. "This adult water dragon will be your best friend and not require an enclosure." "This ball python wont get bigger if you put it in a ten gallon tank." "This biting barking Tokay lizard will definitely be a great pet for your three year old." "This red eared slider will stay that size."

If you feel pressured or uninformed in how a pet will live to full adulthood in your care, leave the store! It's better to go home empty handed than go home with something that you'll regret for the next 15-50 years.

I've sent people home when they've practically begged to give me 1000.00 dollars (I'm not in the UK) and my sales were down, because I could tell they weren't prepared for the lifespan of the pet they desperately wanted. There are people in the pet industry that are responsible and don't buy from people who aren't.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
foresight

its strange how things turn out,
given the information beforehand I would not of purchased the basilisk, as its adult size and viv size would of put me off,
now I have it I am excited to build a new viv and watch it grow, and have just excepted the size (more to the point the wife has lol)

Yes i am a complete novice, and yes I should of learned before I bought, but I am here trying to get a crash course, and I want the best possible environment I can provide, time money or energy wont be be compromised in providing it,

I want advice, no amount of reading is a substitute for experience, so please fire away

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
its strange how things turn out,
given the information beforehand I would not of purchased the basilisk, as its adult size and viv size would of put me off,
now I have it I am excited to build a new viv and watch it grow, and have just excepted the size (more to the point the wife has lol)

Yes i am a complete novice, and yes I should of learned before I bought, but I am here trying to get a crash course, and I want the best possible environment I can provide, time money or energy wont be be compromised in providing it,

I want advice, no amount of reading is a substitute for experience, so please fire away
its pleasing to hear you've realised that keeping reptiles is more involved than just "stick it in a tank"!!

good luck with your lizard, they're awsome critters. there's lots of basalisk care ionfo knocking around so it'll help with the basics such as temp gradients, humidity, water requirements etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

I now have all the temperatures under control
30dg in the day with 33 basking
25 dg in the night
75% humidity
27dg water temp

Everything I have read seams to suggest these temps, most suggest higher humidity, this is without misting, I will start misting to increase humidity slightly

Again any advice is welcome

1 - 14 of 14 Posts