Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Was wondering what you thought about buying reps from the above 2, which you would choose to buy from?

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
you're the top post :lol:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Pet shops! Private breeders like nige are weird :p

Jking, private breeders would be first choice for me, cheaper etc...thou there aint that many where i live, hopefully you do.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Id defo go for private breeders mainly...unless I went to a shop and fell in love with summit instantly or they stocked something i had been searching for for ages and hadnt found. :)

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Out of 15 corns I have owned only two have come from a shop. My first snake which I still have did (Anery) and I also bought a normal but that died within a few weeks. Since then they have all come from private sellers usally because they are much cheaper more than anything.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
my local(ish) shop is quite reasonable but generally shops are 2-3 times more expensive.
private breeders are usually very knowledgable about their animals and quite passionate too.
i'd say private (almost) everytime.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i would say either are ok if you check reptiles health out,although do agree with Shane2 its the same in republic not many private breeders so most have to be got from pet shop which can be costly,although alot need to be rescued and i'd rather go that way if i can(and not just to get freebie)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
i would buy from a private breader because they are alot cheeper (example - i got 6 corns for £160 at the end of july they were 2 x anerys, 1 x creamsicle, 1 x classic, 1 x amber, 1 x ghost) and the ones ive delt with take alot of care with there animals.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
it depends what you want.
with breeders you can often get a coffee (and sometimes bourbons lol) and chat for ages... you can often see not only the parents and siblings,but sometimes grand parents.
you will often get more info on the snake, hets, temperament etc.
shops in general do know there stuff, but they have to make a profit too.
then again, i usually say,if you see something you like, then you should buy it.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
cornmorphs said:
it depends what you want.
with breeders you can often get a coffee (and sometimes bourbons lol) and chat for ages... you can often see not only the parents and siblings,but sometimes grand parents.
you will often get more info on the snake, hets, temperament etc.
shops in general do know there stuff, but they have to make a profit too.
then again, i usually say,if you see something you like, then you should buy it.
Good impartial answer there good to see rather than the usual buy from private cos pet shops are shit advice!

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
lol, well most rep shops are good.. the main reason not to buy from them would be money i guess.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Private breeders are often good for a bargain, and its nice to meet others in the hobby and have a chat etc. However the kind of snakes I keep arent often on offer privately so other than westerns, most of the hogs I buy are from shops who can order me in something I can't find on the classifeds!

If I saw an animal in a pet shop that was at a reasonable price, I wouldnt be put off just because it was from a shop. Equally I wouldnt buy something privately if I didnt think it was a good deal or quite what I wanted. It really depends on the individual situation.

Dont think Ive helped at all really! :lol:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
whatrare hogs have you got then?
i know the guy who breeds probably the most in the uk.. he has dozens of different types and morphs.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I assume you mean Baz Summerhayes? Very jealous of his collection!
I have some tri colours (semicinctus) on the way and possibly an Eastern, I've currently got some dusty x red phase hogs and a CB malagasy giant too on top of the typical westerns.
Not really into the western morphs but may invest in some albinos or pastel pinks eventually, my student loans wont stretch that far though! A dream for another day perhaps.

Also looking into getting some dorbingyi (south american hogs) - there are currently none in the UK but there may be some in Houten come the end of the year according to the "grape vine".

Id have a whole lot more if the wallet would allow :roll: Namely a mexican and a speckled I've been looking at for months now!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts