Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :D

I am new to this forum and would just like to say that some pet shops do actually care about their animals. I own a small family run pet shop and we give full information and care sheets with our animals and would not sell to inappropriate circumstances (we have lost sales because of our standards). We have just lately had many enquiries as to whether we would start selling reptiles or not. We would like to do so but will not until I feel we know enough about them to advise them properly. This is how I ended up on this site actually as I was doing my research. We havejust had customers enquiring about terrapins - so any advice would be greatly recieved.
:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I did argue the case for some reptile shops and pet shops a few months back as my friend owns one and she loves her animals and hates seeing them leave lol

Glad to see you are not a dying breed (boom boom) of caring shop owners!

·
Registered
121 Posts
i agree, even my local pets at home were very caring of their fish and wanted to ask me 20 questions before i could buy some gold fish.

However some pet shops sell birds, rodents, reptiles, fish , livestock and more and im afraid to learn evrything about all these differnt kinds of animals would take a lot of years of research that you just know the 16 year old serving you doesnt have.

Anyway well done for doing your research, im sure your pet shop will benefit because of it. As for terrapins i hardly know anything but i have heard they can be easy carriers of salmonela so warn the customers to keep clean.

·
Registered
551 Posts
pinkellie,
I think everyone starts up a pet store for love of animals. After a while most decide money is more important than the wellness of the animals. I like the idea that you are making the wellness a priority. Keep it up! Welcome, and I hope to see a lot of you as an owner of a pet store. It's reassuring to know that at least one pet store owner is doing things right and actually care for the animals. Follow your morals.

Tort

·
Registered
82 Posts
As regards turtles or terrapins as they can be known, i ask one thing make sure you tell people exactly what they are buying and how big they get and i would sell sub adults or juveniles rather than 50 pence size babies that everyone finds so cute.
Sorry to seem so cynical but if you saw how many turtles have come to me in the last few years either from owners who cant keep them because the shops have given false info or that have come in from being found abandoned youd understand where im coming from :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts