Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why oh why oh why?

Why do pet shop owners still try to sell you sand when you ask what you need for a lizard. There are plenty of debates out there as to is it safe isn't it safe, but i would have thought the best practice for any shop owner would be to strongly advice against the use of sand not promote it?

Is it just me or does there seem to be more and more people who have a lizard so decide to open a pet shop and become the authority on whats right and wrong.

I wouldn't mind so much if they all said you need the same sand but they don't, I remember going to 3 diff pet shops all selling the same sand plus a diff sand product and not one told me to use the same as the other had they all picked out the most expensive product they carried and formed and argument on why that was better than the other product.

One shop owner also told me that the use of lino in a geckos viv was wrong and should be replaced with playsand!!!!

So rant nearly over lol is it all about the money and don't give a dam about the animal after they have it you?

OK THATS RANT OVER LOL

Just gets me sound angry.

I must point out that i use a very good shop now and they don't even carry sand never mind try to sell it lol.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Yes it is all about money but also staff that dont have a clue about the animals they are selling just doing what they are told to.

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
I agree somewhat but not all shops are the same and to be honest it really depends on what type of lizzard it is as some do live and thrive on sand.
As for the bit about "Is it just me or does there seem to be more and more people who have a lizard so decide to open a pet shop and become the authority on whats right and wrong."

Its not that easy believe it or not although it depends on the council and what conditions they have to the licence.

I do however agree that most pet shops shouldnt be selling reptiles and if they are then they should be educated. This does not include reptile shops although so of them are still not very knowledgeable you just have to hunt around and go by word of mouth not by what is closest.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes i know not every shop is like that but in my experience i have only found one shop where i live that i would trust and it seems that every little pet shop now has reptiles in it and some of them hand you a book to read when u ask questions cause they realy dont have the answer and i am talking about simple questions like how big will it get. I dont want to tar every shop with the same brush as i say i use a very good shop now and have always valued there expertise and advice, but there seems to be (at least where i live) a lot of shops that dont have a clue.

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
Unfortunatly cant comment on that as i havent a clue where you live but yup ive been in pet shops that sell reptiles and have to admit that they seem to have less knowledge than our little girl

But as i said i havent come across a bad reptile shop yet!
Just corner pet shops that sell the odd leo or corn nothing to exotic and nothing that there isnt a lot of info on
also tbh i really think anyone buying a reptile be it in a pet shop, rep shop or online should do a lot or research before hand

·
Registered
559 Posts
i got quite upset and angry going to pet shops so now i use livefoods and rick's livefood for all my stuff. if i do go, i go to christy's shop when i'm out in cardiff (avrathan on here, she owns reptile cymru) because i know she keeps her animals in fantastic conditions, i'm not peering into vivs and gasping at the size of the gecko's tails etc. i actually enjoy going out there!
it's not all reptile shops, but some of them you can tell are only there to make a profit. the ones that keep their animals well (there are a fair few, you just have to go on recommendations) often don't make much money out of it.

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
Agree as many will prob tell you on here that have large collections unless you are breeding high end morphs constantly there is hardly any money to be made once you take off the bills for food heating equiptment etc not forgeting that most rep shops buy from private breeders in the first place
They would mainly make their money from selling equipetment and foods tbh

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
I wouldn't mind so much if they all said you need the same sand but they don't, I remember going to 3 diff pet shops all selling the same sand plus a diff sand product and not one told me to use the same as the other had they all picked out the most expensive product they carried and formed and argument on why that was better than the other product.
There's your reason.

They get more money if they sell you the expensive sand.

If you get reptile carpet, you'll only need more when one piece wears out. If you get lino or stone tiles, you'll only need new when you get bored of what you've got - and you won't be buying it from the pet shop. And if you buy playsand, you're getting several months or years supply for a fraction of the price of the sand with a lizard on the packet.

I once went to a fairly local pet shop that had some skinny leopard geckos on wood chip. These poor babies weren't just at death's door, they were trying to bash it down. Black bellies (so possibly impacted) and barely moving. I approached the folks at the counter - waiting until the previous and only other customer had left so that they could talk to me without worrying what other customers thought. They told me that they got a discount from their supplier for displaying the animals on the wood chip - and that was why they would not switch to a safer and more appropriate substrate. I was so concerned about the animals that I left my phone number and asked them to contact me if they wanted their animals to be taken in and rehabilitated by an experienced leopard gecko keeper and breeder.

Next time I went in, the babies were gone. Adults in their place. Still on woodchip.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in west midlands and use a shop in Birmingham for my lizards but i use livefoods now for my supplies but only for the fact that i dont drive and the shop is a jaunt for me lol.

I agree that rep shops are the better place to go and wasn't flaming them it was more the small petshops i was on about and we do have some BAD ones here wonder how they get them set up bth of any animal have reported one two council and rspca before now over the state of all the animals in the shop.

Didn't mean to cause any offense btw just wanted a rant lol i get angry when people who clrearly dont know what they are doing are trying to take the authority and tell you what you have been doing for years is wrong. In some cases this may well be correct but i was more on about sand with geckos tbh as i lost one from inpactation before i found the shop i use now due to being told sand was the thing to use now i wont touch it and it just gets me upset i guess when you hear them selling it to others.

I know before you buy any animal you should do research but as i'm sure we are all aware the debate on substrate is still ongoing and to be fair there will be people out there who have used sand for years with no probs so they dont see what the fuss is about and people like me who used it and lost a gecko due to impactation. So with that said i guess it's live and learn.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm a sand user and to be honest I don't see a problem with it.

I know what you're saying though I have no idea why they stock calci-sand. Thats the stuff you want to be worried about!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I keep my adult beardies on sand, but wouldn't dream of putting babies on it. But I what makes me annoyed is seeing baby beardies on sale in shops, mostly on sand!

New owners would probably see no problem with that, and think that's how they should be kept!

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
If you look in a reptile shop. the staff generally specify in one type of reptile. Say one of them will know everything about retics, where as another will know everything about most lizards, etc etc along those lines. So the person you're asking probably doesn't even keep lizards let alone beardies

·
Registered
719 Posts
hi,

i started with slate, and that was great then went to play sand, that is better, and i now use Calci sand, neq and improved to see whether any problems actually occur!! i know lots of problems have occured and lots of people say no, but this stuff is new, it says all these things about no impactation, no problems gauranteed, at least we can take them to court if any problems.

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
Sorry id rather not lose a leo than get my money back from it
As for calci sand tell me this
If its new and improved have they stopped leos self regulating their calcium intake?
I doubt that very much so there for unless they can tell the difference between sand and calcium (which they cant) they are still going to get a mouth full of sand
Sand is not digestable no matter how fine it is ground up
Your basically using crushed glass
No wonder its not digestable

·
Registered
559 Posts
hi,

i started with slate, and that was great then went to play sand, that is better, and i now use Calci sand, neq and improved to see whether any problems actually occur!! i know lots of problems have occured and lots of people say no, but this stuff is new, it says all these things about no impactation, no problems gauranteed, at least we can take them to court if any problems.
:\...

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
hi,

As Faith has said before me...

No amount of money will return a dead reptile to life.
No amount of money will stop me from remembering the shaking, agonised arching of one of my pets after surgery to resolve impaction from play sand. She was euthanised. I wish I hadn't made her suffer through a week of pain post-surgery before having it done.

Isn't it better to prevent the problem from happening in the first place instead of getting your money back afterwards?

Besides, the problem with calcium-based substrate is that they lower the acidity of the stomach. Calcium carbonate requires acid to dissolve it, and as it is dissolved by acid, it turns that acid into other things - water among them if I remember rightly. The more calcium carbonate there is, the more acid is converted ... and the less acid there is to dissolve the remaining calcium sand.

·
Registered
916 Posts
i will point out, there are some species of gecko that should ONLY be kept on SAND.
reptile shops should sell sand. nobody can debate that. otherwise, what would be stenodactylus live on? or teratolepis?
Anyone keeping leopard geckos on sand because this is what they live on in the wild is also wrong, because they are actually more commonly found in dried up mud ground and hard rock...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts