Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have started this petition in the hope that you-tube will listen. please read, and if you agree, please will you sign.

ban animal cruelty on you-tube Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

when a number of signatures have built up, i will contact the administrators of you-tube to bring this to thier attention.

please can a mod make this sticky for a week or so.

thanks
Dan

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
I've signed it, come on people , there are always posts on here containing these videos , wiht us saying how cruel it is! so if we sign the petiton maybe something can be done!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Iv went straight a head and signed, i watched that video with the live chick and have to admit it took my partner some time to calm me down. Poor little thing...think the petition is a brilliant idea

Come on people it only take a minute or two of your time!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just signed it.

It's not so much seeing live rodents being fed and constricted that bothers me (although I can't say I'm in favour of it unless essential), but stuff like the live chick one and the one with the goat a while back are just a bit too much.
What'll it be next - some attention seeking pr*ck feeding a cat/dog to a retic?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
I have to admit I will refrain from signing for two reasons.

1. An online petition is worth only and exactly the paper people signed on.

Unless you've got people signing with their real names, real addresses and on real paper, you are unlikely to get any results from a petition - I've never heard of a SUCCESSFUL online petition.

2. What you're complaining about is live feeding - whether or not someone videos it.

These people are still going to feed live, whether or not they've got a camera. What does it matter, in the grand scheme of things, if you upload a video of yourself feeding your reptile - if it's really the FEEDING that is the problem, not the fact that others can see it?

I have feeding videos of my tegu eating, among other things, a whole raw egg, pieces of banana, locusts, morio worms, pieces of raw chicken wing and yes, even (F/T) mice and rats. This is because we have family who is interested in our animals but can't come to where we live to see them or feed them with us. Yes, people are fascinated with how reptiles eat - we're used to dogs and cats who chew their food, with rodents that nibble - so watching a snake or a lizard swallow something that is recogniseable as another animal whole is something people have a morbid sort of curiosity about.

Me? Yes, I like to see my animals eat... because it means I know they're healthy. I don't get any sort of thrill out of it, and I wouldn't feed live. And I don't have any great desire to upload the videos to Youtube, but that's because I know there's a great proliferation of that sort of thing already... unless you thought that a RESPONSIBLE feeding practices video would be a good idea. In which case, I can certainly upload THAT.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
count me in!:D
put mine name down too. Annoys me seeing usualy AMERICANS (no-offence) laugh and shouting jokes as the snake kills the animal. Like the goat vid!:-x Well I'm in!: victory:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

Unless you've got people signing with their real names, real addresses and on real paper, you are unlikely to get any results from a petition - I've never heard of a SUCCESSFUL online petition.

2. What you're complaining about is live feeding - whether or not someone videos it.

These people are still going to feed live, whether or not they've got a camera. What does it matter, in the grand scheme of things, if you upload a video of yourself feeding your reptile - if it's really the FEEDING that is the problem, not the fact that others can see it?

I have feeding videos of my tegu eating, among other things, a whole raw egg, pieces of banana, locusts, morio worms, pieces of raw chicken wing and yes, even (F/T) mice and rats. This is because we have family who is interested in our animals but can't come to where we live to see them or feed them with us. Yes, people are fascinated with how reptiles eat - we're used to dogs and cats who chew their food, with rodents that nibble - so watching a snake or a lizard swallow something that is recogniseable as another animal whole is something people have a morbid sort of curiosity about.

Me? Yes, I like to see my animals eat... because it means I know they're healthy. I don't get any sort of thrill out of it, and I wouldn't feed live. And I don't have any great desire to upload the videos to Youtube, but that's because I know there's a great proliferation of that sort of thing already... unless you thought that a RESPONSIBLE feeding practices video would be a good idea. In which case, I can certainly upload THAT.
The way I see it, it's not so much live feeding vids where live mice, etc, are used that are the problem. It's the clips where something is fed (e.g. a live chick dropped into the mouth of a large python) purely for "entertainment" and has nothing to do with the welfare of the reptile, nor has any educational purpose.

Point taken about the value of online petitions, but it's better than nothing!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
it's not live feeding we're against. its people doing it for their own enjoyment and then filming it for others to enjoy. even if it doesn't work at least we've acted in a moral way.
i can see both sides to live feeding so im'm not being narrow minded. i'd live feed my snakes in second if i thought it would save them.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

Sorry folks but I have to agree with the above.
Also, while there are a couple of laws in this country that confine live feeding to the privacy of ones home and would probably make the filming of it illegal, there are no such laws in the States. Basically what these numpties are doing is totally legal.
Likewise in the UK it is totaly legal to run and sign a petition (though it is not illegal for Government and U- Tube to ignore it) so good luck to all you guys that want to give it a go.

Natrix

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sorry folks but I have to agree with the above.
Also, while there are a couple of laws in this country that confine live feeding to the privacy of ones home and would probably make the filming of it illegal, there are no such laws in the States. Basically what these numpties are doing is totally legal.
Likewise in the UK it is totaly legal to run and sign a petition (though it is not illegal for Government and U- Tube to ignore it) so good luck to all you guys that want to give it a go.

Natrix
The petition is worded in such a way that it doesn't argue against live feeding or the filming of it, just against the idiots that post videos like these...
YouTube - Python Eats Bird Alive
YouTube - Snake vs Goat
...which are cruel, unnecessary, offensive (especially considering the commentary on some) and in some cases dangerous to the reptile.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

while i respect this veiw, on the petition i ask that only the most extram examples of creulty be removed, but live feeding, in some cases should remain.

there i one video of a mouse repeatedly hit, thrown into a fishtank where it swims around, then offered to a corn snake far to small for the size of the prey item.

another depicts a leo geck thrown into the water, of a snapping turtles pond.

another shows a monitor and a leo put together so they will fight.

another shows a live chick in the mouth of a burmese python, and the tail of the rat is clearky visable, so it was put there for show, and my burm, as do others constrict FT prey items, and it is not in their nature to swallow live animals.

another shows a pinkie rat put in with a mexican red knee, which urticlates hair at it. the pink then rolls in pain/distress.

need i go on.

sorry if this sounds offencive, but i am sure that youwill agree that none of the above fall into live feeding.

i do not agree with the vids of a python eating a live mouse, but i dont see this as un-necassary, and excessive cruelty. the above are.

if we are sucsessful with the petition, then at least we wont have to watch these events, and it will prevent a lot of sick people from getting ideas, and possibly trying these things out.

these vids are very distressing to watch, i nearly cried in one where a white throat was fed a chic, the screeaming, and the chicks eyes made me feel physically sick. this is a normal live feed.

imagin how i feel when i see some prat abusing his animals, and his live foods.:bash:

if you doo not agree, then do not sign, i cannot, and will not try to force you to do so. but i ask, if you agree that the above should not be exibited as "cool" and "fun" then i ask that you do sign.

and following an online petition, orgrish remove all vidoes containing animals creulty, this type of petition has worked before and i hope that WE can make it work again.

if this saves the life of just one mouse, or prevents the suffering of just one chick, surely it is worth it?

thankyou for reading, and thankyou to those who have already signed.

Dan

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
243 Posts
Signed also.

While I know that live feeding is sometimes necessary I don't feel that it does herp keepers, as a whole, any favours when people put up videos of what is obviously 'live feeding for fun' - which is how I would describe most of the youtube videos where live feeding is being done inappropriately (wrong sized prey etc) and for obvious enjoyment etc.

I know that live feeding is sometimes the only option,so I haven't signed because I'm horrified at the general concept of live feeding but because in many of these cases its being done for all the wrong reasons and gives a very bad impression of herp keepers.

Anyway, tis just my opinion :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
signed

1 - 20 of 33 Posts