Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it wrong to buy Crested Geckos from Pets at Home? They have 4 cuties in currently :D

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I have heard horror stories about them dropping dead after a week or so, but that could be just 1 branch at fault, or 1 poorly bred group of animals. I dont see why you shouldnt if they seem healthy tho

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
If they are healthy then I don't see the problem with it. Theres a few people on here with PAH Cresties and they have absolutely amazing colours on them!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
ive got a pets at home crestie,had him 14 mths and hes fighting fit and a little stunner.
if you like it buy it

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
both of mine came from [email protected] in april this year they are fit healthy and lively only trouble was they fed them on baby food so took a while for them to eat cgd
both are dalmations not sure of the morphs though

·
Registered
25 Posts
i got my first crestie from pets at home, he was fine for 2-3 weeks but then i noticed a swelling on his leg. so i spoke to the guys at pets at home and they offered to exchange him or pay vets fees to get him looked at.
i was worried because it looked like mbd but thought a crestie this young shouldnt have this disease.
i didnt want to give him up so took him to the vets and he was x-rayed, turned out he had very bad mbd and had to be put down.
pets at home then payed my vets fees and also gave me a replacement.

this crestie is doing great, theres nothing wrong with buying from pets at home as long as you know what signs to look for.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Monkfield nutrition

Same as above really just check the animal over first , I run a reptile shop so know most suppliers and noticed that pets at home get their stock from a supplier called monkfield nutrition , they are good quality breeders and suppliers and have a pets at home crest also but I only bought mine as they weren't keeping them properly in my local pets at home butcheck out the website for the suppliers and make your descision through that too hope that helps guys

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
:2thumb:
Same as above really just check the animal over first , I run a reptile shop so know most suppliers and noticed that pets at home get their stock from a supplier called monkfield nutrition , they are good quality breeders and suppliers and have a pets at home crest also but I only bought mine as they weren't keeping them properly in my local pets at home butcheck out the website for the suppliers and make your descision through that too hope that helps guys

As above, they mostly come from the same suppliers as other petshops, monkfield are one of the two biggest wholesalers in the UK. So yes, it is fine to buy them from their.....however.....i would much more recommend buying them from a shop or private breeder that is able to show you the parents so you have a better idea of what the animal will be like when adult. There is also less chance of health issues as if the parents can be seen you can see that they are being looked after, which would in turn mean the babies are likely to grow into healthy adults!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
If it looks happy and healthy, go for it.

Whilst I dont want to seem one sided (I work as an Aquatics Manager in
[email protected] Warrington) there is always a stigma with Pets At Home and reptiles. Whilst not every colleague is an expert this can also be said for far too many local herp shops. I recently walked out of a well known Manchester based reptile and aquatic store after seeing numerous (about 15) underweight adult leopard geckos cramed together in a 2ft viv. if this had been pets at home, there would be an uproar.

We only stock a small species range, and only deal with c.b stock. what an aweful way to run a reptile section hey! We always hear the occasional horror story about reps from [email protected] yet this thread alone has dozens of positive views and experience's that seem to vanish into thin air!

As for a chain putting local shops out of business, I think most physical shops will agree that mass online discount site's cause the most of the problems!

Sorry to rant and go off topic!

·
Registered
37 Posts
i got a crestie from pets at home i only had him a week and had to take him 2 the vets, sadly he had calcium deficiancy and a damaged spine so i had to have him put to sleep but they paid for the vets bill and offered a refund , i bought my second crestie off them 2 because u wudnt get many pet shops doing that for you once theyve got your money

·
Registered
114 Posts
my sister in law is a P&H manager and they really try to do there best for the reps but she says the training isnt the best. its the bigwigs are the ones that choose whether a P&H has reps. as it happens my cresty came from P&H and its doing just fine.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I bought a 5 month old male from there around a year ago, he was living with a larger male at the time who was completely stunning. I decided to bring him home with me and have never looked back. He is a gorgeous boy, and although it took him months to eat cgd or fruit he now tucks in happily. He is one of the few that gives me a clean bowl, and also scoffs his crickets really nicely.
At my local the Cresties are cared for far better than their leopards, at least I haven't spotted any Cresties on their death beds. I would rather see them with Cresties any day, they actually keep these alive.

AND they feed cgd. Although it is Komodo.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.