Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i tried to purchase 2 small goldfish as a trial to see whether my adult false map male would eat or cohabit with, it stated with the usual list of questions they feel the need to ask, the first being how big is your tank, i replied 55 gallons looking puzzled she went back to the tills to discuss this with her friend, she came back and said she considered this to be too small i asked "why" she calculated there being 2.5 litres to the gallon. i corrected her stating it was 4.5 to the gallon, still not satisfied this was big enough i then snapped and said forget about it was only a test for my turtle.
The comments that followed annoyed me, she stated that turtles are dirty animals and the water quality is too poor and that this was cruel. i can accept the cruel part although it seemed ironic as they sell live crickets and worms to feed to reptiles, but the dirty water i told her she was misinformed and that they are not dirty animals and my water quality is better than any of the tanks she had in-store. RANT OVER

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
It sounds like you're in the wrong. They can't sell you an animal knowing that you plan to use it as a prey item for your turtle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but as i said crickets and worms!!!, but my main upset was the fact that she considered the tank being too small

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
but as i said crickets and worms!!!, but my main upset was the fact that she considered the tank being too small
A fish from a pet shop is sold as a pet, feeder foods such as crickets and worms are sold as feeder foods. I'd have no right moaning that a pet shop wouldn't sell me a live mice for my snake.

In all fairness them saying that your tank is too small is a good thing. Think how many goldfish are sold off in those silly little bowls and tanks in your average pet shop.

·
Super Moderator
16,923 Posts
Today i tried to purchase 2 small goldfish as a trial to see whether my adult false map male would eat or cohabit with, it stated with the usual list of questions they feel the need to ask, the first being how big is your tank, i replied 55 gallons looking puzzled she went back to the tills to discuss this with her friend, she came back and said she considered this to be too small i asked "why" she calculated there being 2.5 litres to the gallon. i corrected her stating it was 4.5 to the gallon, still not satisfied this was big enough i then snapped and said forget about it was only a test for my turtle.
The comments that followed annoyed me, she stated that turtles are dirty animals and the water quality is too poor and that this was cruel. i can accept the cruel part although it seemed ironic as they sell live crickets and worms to feed to reptiles, but the dirty water i told her she was misinformed and that they are not dirty animals and my water quality is better than any of the tanks she had in-store. RANT OVER
Goldfish should not be fed to turtles because of the risk of thiaminase. Also its somehow not really right to buy fish with the thought that the turtle(s) may eat them so if you had said that then that is possibly another reason why they may not have sold you them.

3.71 litres = 1 UK gallon, so 55 gallons is a large tank - 6' or so in length.

Although as you say turtles produce a lot of waste but with the correct filtration etc good quality water is possible, although you can't really expect her to know that as (fortunately) [email protected] do not sell turtles.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Feeder fish have to be bred by yourself I believe. Once you've produced them you're allowed to do whatever you want with them (within reason of course)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UK Gallons to Liters conversion according to these guys 1uk gal is 4.5461 L, and i had not found that out about gold fish but thanks for the info and i just wanted to add fish to the tank not really as food more as a tank buddy but the more i read the more i find they are more than likely will be eaten

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
That makes sense i guess i will just feed the dried dead ones
I'm sure there's a few things you can feed them like frozen thawed shrimp or prawn maybe? I'm guessing they'd eat worms and other insects off the surface of the water. Could be wrong so have a quick google and see for yourself :2thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.