Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm new to snake ownership but iv been told snake have too thoughts , can I eat it is it a danger. I realy hope this ain't true I was stroking my boa earlier (that sounds bad lol ) and he looked like he liked it he's only a baby my question is do they like being stroked ect. Fully aware might get a mixed bag of answers but just wanted to know what people thoughts or experiences are.

Reactions: corpselight

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Some seem to like it - at least it doesn't seem to bother them. Others can't stand it.

You will get a mixed bag of answers to this, as different snakes respond completely differently. I suppose it's true of most animals, including us. Some people love having their hair stroked - I can't stand it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
my female pin loves it male pastel prefers slithering all over me as does my bci they both 'like' being stroked but prefer roaming my mangrove...just about bears being stroked just

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was just trying to get a insite in to there mind set , so I don't think I'll sit there stroking him for no reason. PS I wouldnt mind some hair to be stroked Iv got about as much as my boa lol.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
It's the same with chin tickles. Some of our snakes seem to enjoy having their chin stroked/tickled/scratched and will stop dead (like our FWC), others will flinch away.
You can tickle me under the chin any time! :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I think the majority of snakes just tolerate it to be honest. Most would prefer to be left alone.

That being said I MAKE mine love me :flrt:

They don't have a choice in the matter :2thumb:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't think any of them like being handled at all, some just tollerate it more than others. They don't react to stimuli the same way we and certain other species do.

I don't believe handling is beneficial at all with snakes and is only for our benefit. I understand handling to tame down but *cuddles/stroking* just isn't necessary and they probably hate it. Mine only get handled when I have to clean them out or during spot cleaning.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
my housey once seemed to push towards being petted, but the next time i tried, i realised she was trying to push me away...she quite literally got the hump.
they do seem to learn to tolerate, but even then being touched weirds them out a bit. fair enough really.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I have always fallen firmly on the side of handling snakes to desensitise them to the experience, making moving them for any reason stress free (eventually.)
But I have never felt the need to have one draped around my neck while I'm doing the washing up, or sat in my lap while I watch telly etc. :lol2:
I don't think the majority of snakes get anything from petting or stroking. In fact if I run my finger down the flank of my gopher (the most pliable, and accepting of a bit of mauling about) he will "shrug" me off sometimes, to let me know he isn't in the mood. Let me out then leave me alone!
However, I've seen enough strange things to think that SOME individuals may get something "pleasurable" out of it.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
i'll sometimes have on my lap while watching a film (not for the whole film, they'd get cold), or draped over my shoulders (try to minimise around the neck, they are a bit strong, and i don't really want a darwin award) when i'm cleaning out...
i have had my MBK simply curl up on my shoulder and stay there while i played some game, and one of my bloods may have fallen asleep on my lap (he totally stopped moving about for a good while).
so while i may be the huge annoying bald monkey that bothers them frequently, but a few of them seem to have come to grips with it.

i usually pet them a lot too.

weirdly, when my mum visited, she showed signs of being a proper snake whisperer. several snakes lay their heads in her hand and just sat there totally relaxed for ages.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I think it's a tolerance thing

It's not a snakes instinct to be handled like a domestic pet

Mine pulls away and flinches if I go anywhere near her head or tail (although she's getting better with that)

If I attempt to stroke her mid section she doesn't seem too phased although will start to try and wriggle off after a short time

I don't really try to stroke her though, I just leave her to make her way around my hands/fingers at her own free will.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I don't think any of them like being handled at all, some just tollerate it more than others. They don't react to stimuli the same way we and certain other species do.

I don't believe handling is beneficial at all with snakes and is only for our benefit. I understand handling to tame down but *cuddles/stroking* just isn't necessary and they probably hate it. Mine only get handled when I have to clean them out or during spot cleaning.
Would you not agree that handling has the benefit of exercise? This is often how I see it. A chance for them to stretch out and mooch about.

I believe this is at least one benefit for the snake rather than our own.

Reactions: Fen

·
Registered
246 Posts
Would you not agree that handling has the benefit of exercise? This is often how I see it. A chance for them to stretch out and mooch about.

I believe this is at least one benefit for the snake rather than our own.
Not really, if it is homed in a proper sized viv where it can move freely then I don't see why it would, and if you feed them at appropriate intervals then I don't see why they would need the exercise from being handled because the likelyhood of making the animal obese is very low unless it can't move anywhere and you're feeding it huge meals as often as possible

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow ok a real mixed bag I get it he ain't a dog so won't come for a tickle, but I was trying to ascertain weather they have emotions and bonds to us or see us as food provider/ no danger , and that's it so guess it's a snake by snake thing they all decide to or not put up with the petting

·
Registered
805 Posts
I had my Scrub out recently and thought I'd try the stroking thing, starting a foot or so down from her head. She didn't seem overly concerned so I worked my way up, until eventually I was stroking her head as she rested it on my leg. She actually seemed quite receptive to it, whereas I on the other hand was completely freaked out by the experience. :eek:mg:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.