Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

My friend has just mated his Amel female with a supposed pewter corn.
Now i dont have any pics but i would bet my life on the fact they are not pewter since she bought a pair for peanuts, also they are huge and do not look like corns, they look like rat snakes (bulky with lack of the arrow on the head).

What are the main differences in Corns and Rats as she is wanting to sell these babies as amel/pewter offspring.

If they were pewters what would the offspring be?
Didnt know whether to put this here or in genetics.

Thanks
Vicky

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
If you mean North American rat snakes as in Pantherophis obsoleta...

They would have a plain head as adults with no markings. As youngsters, they have markings on the brow but these vanish with age... although some may have some remnants.

There would be no checker markings on the belly like you get with the majority of corn snakes ( except striped or motley I think )

The key thing to my mind would be muscle tone. Corns are generally pretty small and weak animals whereas obsoleta certainly give you a good squeeze when they anchor themselves to your arm.

Photos would be good though :D

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are strong creature but bigger than my adult corn. they look like normal carolina corns but the colouration is different. They are pretty dark almost pewter in colour but compared to "pewter" corns theyre no where near the right colour!

I'm gonna try get photos but the female of this pair is due to drop any time now and she aint too happy.:2thumb:

Have you got a link to look at ratsnake types i might be able to match.
They dont have the arrow marking i dont think.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts