Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if any1 as tried there,collections on pheonix worms?
i have 2x beardies the male 12 months old loves them,my baby girl dont seem that bothered!!try them,visit pheonixworms.co.uk....
damo

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pheonix worms!!!answer

hi, yea they id say between a wax and a maggot,not that i give mine maggots,,,they are full of goodness
fat 9.4%
protien 17.3%
calcium ppm8155
phosphorus ppm 5355
calcium;phosphorus ratio 1.52

so yea full of goodness,the guys at the the email addy answer any questions you send them!!!they were £6.50 that was delivered as well,not bad!!!!!
damo

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
apparantly they are the larvae of the black soldier fly?
from the pics they look like the hairy caterpillars you sometimes get in with crickets? never used them personally the hairs put me off! :)
but they are meant to be high in calcium.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
leos can get really funny and only want one prey type usually waxworms..they get addicted! :) my female does the same if i give her a locust and then try and fool her into eating a cricket...she goes for it then spits it out!! :)
you could give them ago no reason why you shouldn't variety is most definately the spice of life!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
just a word of warning with the old waxworms...they have really sticky feet being a caterpillar and they have a horrible habit of sticking themselves to the jaws of leos! nothing serious but it freaks the leo out a bit!!! :) my female now runs a mile if she sees one!! think she scared herself when the last one stuck to her! :lol: bless...

they are a great food source though..for a treat that is...my chams love them...

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
im planning on changing my food source to phoenix worms from crickets in the not to distant future as they have very simular if not better nutritional value compared to crickets. Also, the ease of handling and having no more or fewer roaming crickets gives it a huge bonus.

jay

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi

are you all ordering from pheonix.co.uk??or can they be got from else were????

damo

·
Registered
336 Posts
pollywag are the other website that do them, they are owned by the same people though

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea thats where i go!!!!

i wonder if they are anywhere else?i will try and find out and keep you all up dated!!!!is any1 trying the wax breeding i am!!!!

damo

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
OOH! made a mistake :oops:
meant silkworms! waxworms stick but nothing like silkworms...like they got superglue on their feet!
sorry!! :oops:

·
Registered
336 Posts
they hold the rights to them and are the only onlnine places, the do supply a couple shops though

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I've tried them this week with my mourning and sand geckos. My mourning geckos love them to bits (will be getting them the extra small next time) but then again there isn't much that I've tried that they haven't liked :lol: . My sand geckos though aren't keen on them at all. Two of them have eaten them, though not particularly eagerly and the other won't touch them at all. I've tried mixing them with waxworms to see if that will help but that isn't working. May try a cricket scent on them - but as they have a habit of licking them first that might not work either!

I'm going to try breeding waxworms so I can harvest of the smallest ones for my mourning geckos. Because they are laying eggs pretty much constantly its taking a lot out of their fat reserves. Ordered some waxies but all of them were too large, hence the plans on breeding my own :lol: I figure I can send the extra ones to the nature reserve where I volunteer and put them out on their bird feeders :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts