Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there.... this is directed at Pollywog.

I see from another thread you are doing phoenix worms. I also note the ca:ph ratio but can see no other nutritional values? Fat/protein/ etc?

Also can these be home bred? What do they eat?

Sorry for asll the questions but like to check all out before ordering nw foods. ;-)

Thanks for your time

Andy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey Andy. Try www.phoenixworms.com the home US producer site for a full nutritional breakdown. It seems these things are a wonder product. Glad I'm not the only bod who feels it may be too good to be true. :oops:
Am going to try some, anyway. In for a penny.....

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I see from another thread you are doing phoenix worms. I also note the ca:ph ratio but can see no other nutritional values? Fat/protein/ etc?
Hi,
Nutritional info can be found on our website: www.phoenixworm.co.uk just follow the link on the main page where it says Phoenix Worms - We are please to offer this exciting new high calcium livefood from the US, for more information on the nutritional advantages of the Phoenix Worm click here.
These can't be cultured at home, they are raised on a special grain based diet but do not require feeding, just keep them in the tub they are supplied in at 60-70F and add a few drops of water if the packing medium starts to dry out - any attempt to feed them will spoil the medium the worms are packed in.
Sorry for asll the questions but like to check all out before ordering nw foods.
These have now been in regular use in the US for over a year and all is well, I have been using them for the best part of this year and I am having good results from them as are most of our customers, even London Zoo have added them to their feeder list and are placing regular orders.

·
Registered
597 Posts
thought i would bring this up seeing as my shipment of these just arrived and my beardie had some lunch :)

ummm my thoughts on them is they are kinda small, i got the large phoenix worms and wasnt impressed with how large they were, i think i will stick to dusting large crickets, plus my beardie likes the crickets moving around so he can catch them and the worms dont attract him too much, i bought a tub of 100 and he ate 20

·
Registered
336 Posts
my little beardies love em! i chuck a few in with some pellet food to try and get them intrested (hopless battle i know) .

Syrup my female is happy going nuts chasing cricks but pancake werent too happy about it so i got pheonix worms (medium) and he goes as mad as syrup does.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Jack13>
Sorry to hear your Beardie isn't that keen on them, it can take them a while to get used to them if they have not had grubs or worms before so keep trying with them, also the warmer the worms get the faster they move which will help to attract his attention.
Unfortunatly we can't do anything about the size of these worms however we have now taken delivery of our first shipment of Tebos direct from Chile, these are quite a bit larger and again have good calcium levels although not as high as the Phoenix Worms - perhaps they would be worth a try?

·
Registered
597 Posts
yeah tebos might be worth a try, i think my beardie was just acting funny, he ate most of them while the worms were in my hand, the pheonix worms would probally be good for hatchlings but an adult i would have to feed like a 100 at a time :) how big will the tebos be?

·
Registered
457 Posts
pollywog said:
These can't be cultured at home, they are raised on a special grain based diet but do not require feeding, just keep them in the tub they are supplied in at 60-70F and add a few drops of water if the packing medium starts to dry out - any attempt to feed them will spoil the medium the worms are packed in.
no offence but seems like a trade secret thing as you dont want others encroaching into your market.

however form what i have been reading up on these, they are infact larvae of soldier flys, Hermetia illucens

used in manure management and now moving to livefood as they have been tested in poultry, swine and fish sectors after manure managment.

with average of 5% ca after manure processing and a ration of 7.2 on ca:phosphorus

dont feed as adults so dont actually need a food soucre then, only as grubs, and seem to breed very readily given the right conditions.

it really intrigues me and will be looking into this further and seeing about home cultivation

im sure if i an get hold of some manure management companioies they can advise on their growth methods for these and can go from their and match manure compounds to a grain based diet as i presume you use or you jsut tel lus you use to throw us.

i expect eventually the culturing secret will come out to phoneix worms.

which will make them more reaosnably priced then.

**wonders if thsi psot will be deleted though

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
how big will the tebos be?
They range between a half inch and 2 inches.
no offence but seems like a trade secret thing as you dont want others encroaching into your market.
We don't breed them, we import them from the US manufacturer. But if the manufacturers have spent years developing them why shouldn't they keep their methods a secret? Do you take the same stand against Lee & Perins because they won't tell people what their secret ingredient is in their Worcestershire Sauce so you can't make it at home?
im sure if i an get hold of some manure management companioies they can advise on their growth methods for these and can go from their and match manure compounds to a grain based diet as i presume you use or you jsut tel lus you use to throw us.
The worms we sell are raised on a grain based diet in laboratory conditions, they are 4-5 years removed from the wild and so have never been anywhere near any manure.
I thought I read somewhere that the worms were irradiated before export to prevent breeding.
No not Phoenix Worms, however the harvesting process has been changed since their first launch to greatly reduce the number that turn into flies but they are not treated with anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts