Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple of pics just to remind everyone or inform any newbies on why not to keep youre geckos on loose substrate one of these was kept on bark chip the other one on digestible sand.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
ur pics didnt show up

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
:p

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just bumbing it up to top as i think people looked at this thread before i figured how to post pic :oops:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
:shock: :shock: :?

I was already convinced about those substrates being crap.
Thanks for the pic mate,it brings good evidence.

Just funny Blazey posted on the same thread,as she kept repeating me wood chips were ok...without mentionning the fact we were talking about a wounded animal who might have get a more severe infection due to bacteria which multiply quickly on such beddings.

Use fine sand for adult leos,like playsand,you will never get into such trouble. :wink:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all blazey posted was pics didnt come up and then when i got them up no reply now i know why hey dont be shy post a reply or some other persons little gecko could die you know its not a lie why would i?. god im bored starting to look forward to going back to work tomorrow :shock:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
:lol: I should have kept this talk with Blazey between () :twisted: ,don't worry Agazzi it was a really good idea to post this pic,it is very helpful thanks :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thx thorr hope it hits home on the newbies really. do you think it would be a good idea to bumb it up to the top once a week for all the newcomers to get a look at?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
says the image does not exist for me.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
re impaction pic

sorry blazey i deleted it from image shack and it deleted it from here to i didnt know that would happen as i opnly learnt how to use it today soz agazzis

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
As said above, for adult leo's, sand is fine. I have used both calci sand and playsand and had no problems. I don't however use it with babies.

Bark chips however, IMHO should not be used.

Emma xXx

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi gary geckos dont live on newspaper in the wild but their natural habitat is not sand either they live on rocky clay surfaces in deserts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Emz118 wrote:
As said above, for adult leo's, sand is fine
i think there are a lot of issues about keeping leos on sand but i think its down to choice at the end of the day.I dont agree to the bark chippings but sand is ok FOR SOME.some leos are fine on it and some do die from impactation.those ones are the unlucky ones but i really think everyone should stop getting so up tight about the issue.I keep my juvies on kitchen roll and my adults on sand.Leopard geckos do come from rocky areas of desert coverd with sand from afganistan-sorry about the spelling- and yeh they dont live on newspaper in the wild but at the end of the day cant we all agree or disagree that there are a number of substrates that can be used when deciding to keep a leo, but cant we advise what is there instead of arguing all the time that sand is either bad or good? pretty please :(

·
Registered
632 Posts
plus all sand has different properties... you'l only know by lookin under a microscope. natural sand in deserts is usually perfectly round whereas manufactured sand can have more jagged edges. i've operated on countless impactations an sand does cause impactations, wether used on juveniles or adults. (wet sand clumps!).

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
to nutty about geckos i will quote u on this
I dont agree to the bark chippings but sand is ok FOR SOME.some leos are fine on it and some do die from impactation.those ones are the unlucky ones
thankyou could not of put it better myself :lol:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
agazzis said:
hi gary geckos dont live on newspaper in the wild but their natural habitat is not sand either they live on rocky clay surfaces in deserts
Having seen where these animals live i can honestly say that if you think for one minute it isn't sandy then you are miss-informed.

The ground comprises of what can only be described as compacted dirt. By that i mean grit, soil, sand and bits of twigs/wood.
The top layer of the dirt is loose and constantly moving around in the breeze. You can't wear black on your feet at all and expect them to look anything other than dusty within seconds.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts