Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right not gonna bore you with the story so I'll just tell u what she doing an let the pics do some talkin

Snake : royal :lol2:
late 2011
Current weight :170g
arrived at ours a month ago (still early days yet)

Problem : Striking at food after tracking it down but just hit and release ....3 others off same purchase feeding fine for me

temps

tub

few from inside view

rub kept in rack so dont think secure feeing is the issue here

I know its still early days and am by no means panicing ( yet :lol2:) just wondered if anyones come accross this behaviour before and how they got around it ......

tried leavin it in - no result
tried putting a hole in head in last 1 - no result

what shall i try next ?

·
Registered
22,115 Posts
My royal used to do this. After she struck and constricted she would let go, sniff it for a bit then leave it. Someone suggested I tried warming the head of the rat by dipping it in very hot water just before feeding (obviously check it's not too hot for the royal). Since doing this she never fails to eat and always goes for the head pretty quickly after constricting. Could be worth a try :)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My royal used to do this. After she struck and constricted she would let go, sniff it for a bit then leave it. Someone suggested I tried warming the head of the rat by dipping it in very hot water just before feeding (obviously check it's not too hot for the royal). Since doing this she never fails to eat and always goes for the head pretty quickly after constricting. Could be worth a try :)
Thats my std tactic with all my royals ( should have perhaps mentioned it:bash:)

:bash:not even got her as far as constricting just smashing into it and pulling away ...... if she hadnt of followed the food half way round the tub I'd have said it was a defensive strike .... but then she comes back and does it again :bash::bash::bash:

·
Registered
22,115 Posts
Thats my std tactic with all my royals ( should have perhaps mentioned it:bash:)

:bash:not even got her as far as constricting just smashing into it and pulling away ...... if she hadnt of followed the food half way round the tub I'd have said it was a defensive strike .... but then she comes back and does it again :bash::bash::bash:
Can be very frustrating :(

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey bud, you offering rats or mice? What size food?
Good point ....... Defrost Rats so far other 3 off scott takin rat fluffs / weaners no probs

with her tried fluff & pup same response on both ..... was just sorta giving it a settling in period of persistance before changing food types etc as she shows "interest" in rats

could be worth tryin mice i suppose ........... will pick 1 or 2 up when near pet shop in the week an give um a go next week

Reactions: dr del

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
ignore the snake for another week
just change water etc
offer a suitable sized rat, defrosted at room temp near to the snakes enclosure
heat the head and offer on tongs, and see how you go
i think a lil more patience will pay off:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ignore the snake for another week
just change water etc
offer a suitable sized rat, defrosted at room temp near to the snakes enclosure
heat the head and offer on tongs,
nice method : victory: you sure you not been watching me on a secret cam :lol2:

and see how you go
i think a lil more patience will pay off:2thumb:

... kinda what i'm hoping for ...... seem to remember our lesser doing a simmilar thing but only for 1 week we packed het tub out and she fed like a demon (now in a 50l hardly decorated no probs) just hope that this lil pin goes the same way but cant pack her tub out much more lol

why is it I only ever had fussy "female" royals :lol2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Right not gonna bore you with the story so I'll just tell u what she doing an let the pics do some talkin

Snake : royal :lol2:
late 2011
Current weight :170g
arrived at ours a month ago (still early days yet)

Problem : Striking at food after tracking it down but just hit and release ....3 others off same purchase feeding fine for me

temps
tub

few from inside view
imageimageimage

rub kept in rack so dont think secure feeing is the issue here

I know its still early days and am by no means panicing ( yet :lol2:) just wondered if anyones come accross this behaviour before and how they got around it ......

tried leavin it in - no result
tried putting a hole in head in last 1 - no result

what shall i try next ?
Cracking set up mate! Have you tryed putting him/her in a smaller rub with that rat and puting that rub in the original rub ? My lesser didn't eat for a couple of months when i got him and he didn't want to eat, so tryed that and he'll now take it from the original tub if left alone, but actually think he's going to strike feed next, best of luck

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And i had an albino which did the same thing to rats, but when offered mice took instantly, apparently mice are alot 'sweeter' where as rats have alot more protein/meat - bone ratio or so I've heard..
this makes me think trying mice next week is an even better idea ..... glad to hear someone else who's experienced this

funny how its always albino type stuff or so it would seem :whistling2: she's pin het albino ...... and my other fussy one is an albino :lol2:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My butter did this I got her feeding on mice or multis. Then back to rats after a few feeds. Patience is a must with royals, very fustrating, my het pied fed weekly with a great feeding response for 8 months, then just decided to fast for 4 months. She's just started eating again took a rat every week for 3 weeks now, its amazing when they feed again. Hope yours feeds soon.
I carnt recomend multis enough, great for picky feeders.

·
Registered
750 Posts
pick your brains

When i got mine , the teeny one . It was suggested by a member to defrost in hot water .. I do it all the time and they never miss ! all mine are fed like that now . Our big corn would never take a rat before and shes too big for mice really .. She eats warm ones though :)

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Reactions: daniel-james

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
yep deffo a lil web cam in the room
but stop doing that in front of the cam, i'll go blind :2thumb:

on a sensible note, try mice, i switch between mice and rats with no problems with my collection, sometimes the snake fancies something a little different

i think someone else said about tastes etc, i think mice will be taken a ajority of the time with no fuss

deffo worth a try

Ryan

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My albino did this when I first got her, I done the same defrot and heat method but I put her in a cloth bag with the rat left her in the faunarium for a few hours hey presto rat was gone. she now feeds fine....well she hasn't eaten since last year now but on Friday she gave an aggressive strike a perfect constrict so I celebrated only to find one rat and one fresh shed in the viv next morning :bash:

ah well looks like her feeding response is back so she will probably eat on the next feed, fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tbh 90% of my lot will take rats or mice too just been feeding only rats with the exception of a gerbil for me albino for so long sorta overlooked the mouse thing :bash: will get a few smalls i think know ive got some fluffs in freezer but they been there since sept so they for the bin when i get to bottom of freezer to get them out got freezerburn etc
also anyone know anywhere up my way where could source multi's ?? know can get them mail order but not due to make a food order for another month and postage stings if only buyin a handful

yep deffo a lil web cam in the room
but stop doing that in front of the cam, i'll go blind :2thumb:

on a sensible note, try mice, i switch between mice and rats with no problems with my collection, sometimes the snake fancies something a little different

i think someone else said about tastes etc, i think mice will be taken a ajority of the time with no fuss

deffo worth a try

Ryan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts