Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

Anyone who's spoken to me in my last few threads know I'v only just got my first snake. Had her for around 3-4 weeks now and she's growing like an absoloute weed. Her brown is a lot darker than a lot of ghost corns I'v seen and I saw a picture the other day of a snake which looks pretty similar to my ghost on a site called Ians Vivariums and according to that site apparently she's a Hypo Kastanie (hhhhkkkk). I'm starting to think she's that. Here's the link for the site. Have a look at a normal ghost look at the pictures, then look at the morph which i'v just pointed out and tell me whether u think im right or not:2thumb:

Here's the link the the site and the photos are below.

Cornsnake Morphs - The Definitive Online Guide - Ians Vivarium Cornsnakes

·
Registered
529 Posts
Shes a cutie! :flrt:

Love the pics of her all curled up!
Sorry can't help with the ID....

But shes lovely! : victory:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Shes a cutie! :flrt:

Love the pics of her all curled up!
Sorry can't help with the ID....

But shes lovely! : victory:
Snap sorry cnt help with the ID but thanks for sharin pics lovely corn ya have there :p

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
What a little cutie.
Cant really tell from pics as they are a touch dark would need belly pics and eye pic in good light.

Its been a while since I have been in corns but Kastanie are rare to find being a specific locale, you have a few morphs that mimic other things but only the breeder knows the actual genetics. But saying that it does look like it has a charcoal influence as well as the hypo of course. But im sure someone a little more up to date than myself will pop along soon.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What a little cutie.
Cant really tell from pics as they are a touch dark would need belly pics and eye pic in good light.

Its been a while since I have been in corns but Kastanie are rare to find being a specific locale, you have a few morphs that mimic other things but only the breeder knows the actual genetics. But saying that it does look like it has a charcoal influence as well as the hypo of course. But im sure someone a little more up to date than myself will pop along soon.

Thanks. It was sold by the pet store as a ghost corn. But the ones i'v seen are very pale. The Kestanie looks very milk chocolaty like my one seems to be. I could be wrong but that's why I'm asking. No harm aye: victory:

Thanks guys for the comments on the pics. Hope you all enjoyed them :flrt::flrt:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lovely snake, but imo its a ghost. There is a HUGE amount of variation within morphs.

Did you have a look at the link I posted too?

I mean for all I know (an know very little about morphs) It could be a ghost or a very slight possible kastanie. As I said i'd like people's opinions.

That's what forums are for and completely full of. :lol2:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did have a look, I know that website well.

As I said though, Imo its a ghost, nothing more nothing less.

Cool cool. well that's what I posted for. People's opinions. Thanks hun : victory:

It doesnt really bother me what she is. I'm just interested is all. :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
SHe is very cute and much more likely to be a ghost than a hypo kastanie. Hypo kastanie is pretty rare in Europe and probably non-existent in the UK I would think (Although there may be one or two that have come across this year from Europe). There's no way a hypo kastanie would be available in a pet shop.

Plus she looks like a ghost! (I like ghosts :) )

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SHe is very cute and much more likely to be a ghost than a hypo kastanie. Hypo kastanie is pretty rare in Europe and probably non-existent in the UK I would think (Although there may be one or two that have come across this year from Europe). There's no way a hypo kastanie would be available in a pet shop.

Plus she looks like a ghost! (I like ghosts :) )

Thanks hun. Well I didnt realise tht kind of breed was so rare. I didn't realise there were so many morphs and variations to the corn snake before I read that website.

I just wondered as the brown is so much darker than a normal ghost. She's almost milky chocolate where as a normal ghost is quite pale. Could she possibly have like a gene of anery in her then to make the brown darker. It's kinda interesting.

Shame about the Kastanie but you never know. Shame there isn't a simple way to prove then i'd be able to know for sure you know like blood tests n such. Ah well.

I don't mind what she is as long as she's healthy. My healthy little bubba. Well her name's lillith. :2thumb::2thumb: She's my gorgeous little bub.:flrt::flrt:

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I just wondered as the brown is so much darker than a normal ghost. She's almost milky chocolate where as a normal ghost is quite pale. Could she possibly have like a gene of anery in her then to make the brown darker. It's kinda interesting.
Ghost is anery and hypo, so yes, she does have anery in her ;) The hypo then lightens everything and strips out the darker colours- hence ghosts just being light anerys. : victory:

For comparison, here are 2 pictures of my adult ghost- identical to yours as a hatchling.

In this one (taken about a year ago) he looks dark. He is not in shed.

In this one he looks much lighter, taken earlier this year.

I think with Kastanies being as uncommon as they are, even without hypo thrown in for good measure, you can be 99.99% percent sure your lovely Lillith is a ghost.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts