Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My youngest carolina corn shed 2 days ago and last night he had a lil bit of shed left on the tip of his tail.

I soaked it in warm water and helped it off very gently and I was shocked to see that a piece of his tail came off with the shed.
The piece of tail was rock hard and brittle! (hope that amkes sense?)

He seems fine now and looks somewhat releived, but i am a lil worried that he might contract an infection.

It looks like a clean break with no bones or fresh flesh showing.

Please can I have some advice on what I can do before I take him to the vets next week.

Thanx to all.

:help::cry:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
keep the tail end clean with dilute betadine (or iodine) as this will help kill any bacteria and also greatly assist in healing the wound.

This is the third case I have seen/heard of when a snakes tail has died, decayed and dropped off due to stuck sheds.

Obviously it has had a number of incomplete sheds, which had built up and constricted the tail, cutting off the blood supply. The tail end then dies, usually goes soggish as it basically rots, then drops off.

Make sure you keep the end clean and even bath it in dilute betadine. It shouldnt affect the snake in anyway, the main thing I would be worried about is septicemia; so just keep the site scrupulously clean until you get to the vets.

best wishes

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for that pied python.

I have him out now to check his tail and he is using it better today than he has since I got him 2 weeks ago.

He seems to be more lively, which I am pleased about.

What do I need to look out for right now or over the weekend?

The next availible appointment isnt til next friday.:censor:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Just keep a close eye on the snake; look for any unusual changes in behaviour, such as overly lethergic, not moving around much or unresponsive etc.

Also keep a close eye on the wound; whether it is getting worse, smells, localised swelling etc. Anything suggesting it is different to how it is now (unless it looks better obviously and thats a good thing.)

The best you can do until this time next week, is keep bathing the wound as this will be the best protection against infection and bacteria. In usual circumstances with this type of 'wound' I would bathe every day; but this may stress your snake out unduly especially as you have only had him such a short time. What with settling in etc.

So I would say, it is down to you as to how frequently you attend to the wound. Perhaps every other day; but without knowing the snake etc it really isnt my place to say. I wouldn't like to give out definate advice.

The vets may give you a topical type cream to apply to its tail, or a course of antibiotics etc. Depending on how its tail is looking, he may just tell you to keep it clean and leave it to heal.

From what you have said, it's not an open wound as such, so should heal rairly rapidly. Being the end of the tail it shouldn't affect the snake in any way.

Any pics would be good?

thanks

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
It may be worth just raising the temperature a couple of degrees as this aids the immune system.

Depending on how and how often you decide to attend to the tail you could feed as usual. Obviously you don't want to be handling for a couple of days after feeding; and wont want to be feeding him just before the vets trip.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok cool, he is due a feed on tomorrow and as I said he is looking much happier since it came off.

I will pop to the petshop or chemist and get some iodine to aid the wound and I will up the temp in his tank too.

Thanx for your advice pied pythons. Much appreiciated.

Will let you know the outcome with the vets next week.

:2thumb::2thumb:

·
Premium Member
16,486 Posts
if the vets appointment is a week away it will prob have healed by then - you can get wound healer from rep shops if you have one close. As previously said this isnt that uncoomon and is caused by a number od incomplete shed they get stick and affected the blood supply to the end of the tail and the tissue dies.
I wouldnt be too concered and your snake will more than likely be fine and suffer no negative effects at all. Just keep an eye out for unusual behaviour, refusing food and of course any sign of infection in the wound. I dont know what substrate you are using but it would be a good idea to change to newspaper or kitchen roll - that way you can keep is superclean and with the kitchen roll it will be easy to see if there is any puss or blood from the wound - im sure there wont be

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His tank is made up of a bark hide fake plants and beechwood chip.

I think I might change his bedding today to newspaper and see if there is anything tomorrow.

But as I said he does seem sooo much happier since it came off, where as before he was abit snappy and quiet.

Just checked on him again and he is moving about all over his tank now, so I think he is happy. : victory:

Thanx again guys.

·
Premium Member
16,486 Posts
i am sure he will be fine - just a good idea to do as much self help as poss - it can save costly vets bills later:smile:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am sure he will be fine - just a good idea to do as much self help as poss - it can save costly vets bills later:smile:
Def will do as much self help as poss.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I dont think this is a vets issue, you just need advice from someone who is an expert (not me lol)

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
if the wound were to get infected from not being clean and it contracted blood poisoning; then yes it would be a vets issue. Often these things are not immediately apparant, and it can be too late by the time it is a visible illness.

I'm not claiming to be any expert, but I do know that if it were my snake that had lost part of its tail, I would be taking it to the vets regardless; just to be on the safe side.

As mentioned, from what has been described the vet may well advice only to keep it clean and leave it to heal. On the other hand, depending on how it heals over the next 7days, the snake may require a cream or antibiotics.

It's not worth the risk; and not worth assuming a vets trip isnt necessary. I'd rather be on the safe side.

I have physically seen a case like this a number of months ago in a friends snake (one of mine which I sold her) and although there was no exposed flesh or a wound as such, the tail had died, and was rotting. This rotting if not cleaned and attended to in the form of betadine/iodine could very realistically cause blood poisoning or just a normal infection due to bacteria; which would spread to the healthy tissue.
Even with cleaning and betadine treatment, there is still a chance infection could set in.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please dont get me wrong, I am def still going to the vets.

If he doesnt show any sign of wanting food and such like, I am going to the vets on monday and wont move til they see him.

I would hate it if he died on me, I just wish his previous owner had noticed it in the first place. :whip:

I just want the best for him, cos he is such a lovely lil lad and I want him to have the best possible help I can give him.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I want having a go at you! Lol, it was in reply to Youngy's comment. Although I wasnt really having a go at him either, just making the point.

It's great that you have got a vets appt, and asked for help/advice on here. You are doing all you can :)

best wishes

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oops I think I got some wires croosed there. :blush:

Never mind, lol.

I just panic about my boys sometimes hehehe.

Again thanx for the advice you have given me. Much appreiciated.
(i think I had better not say that again cos I am Pissing myself off now LOL)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts