Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.....

The word on the retic street is Pieds and in all honesty.......rightly so! Stunning animals and so striking and different.

I wanted to start a central thread for retic lovers to discuss and ask questions about this awesome morph.

With the original being started by Bob Clark a number of years back and a recent influx in popularity with the likes of Gabor Kaminski producing high white examples, I wanted to discuss where, who and why we should consider getting Pieds from - The States? Europe? Here in the UK?

Prices are still reasonably high for visuals (average between £1000 - £3000) and hets available anywhere from £300 upwards - how is this market going to develop?

Obviously over the coming 2 years more and more people will be offering them as it seems an awful lot of people have jumped on the band wagon.....they obviously just wanted there finger in another pie(d)!

Lets see some pictures of your awesome Pieds! Come on....Get your Pied out!

People that have more experience please feel free to pass on your wisdom and advice!

Go.......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to wet the appetites.......

Two retics in Peter Rice's Shop - both absolutely stunning beasts!

And the pies de la resistance.....

Available for £3k I believe - Money well spent if you ask me!

Now....lets see your pieds!

·
Registered
180 Posts
the market for pieds I think will start to crash over the next 12 months. They will go like the mochinos did. mochinos this time last year were going for £1700 - you can now get them for £500

I reckon this time next year youll be able to pick up a pied for £600-£800 easy. They are getting cheap(er) quite fast........

obviously high whites will go for more and those with little white will be more affordable.

that's my 2cents.

I don't own a pied but I'm sure I will one day. im very much looking forward to jay brewers pandas as that's when the pied will shine the most.

although id love to see a pied ghost/ plutonium pied and snow pied.

TASTY !!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
This trend it retic morphs worries me. Retics aren't easy to shove in a plastic shoe box. They have huge clutches of eggs. Where are all these spare retics going to end up while people breed them to get that super morph. It really worries me.
Personally I have never liked pied retics. Even a normal wild type retic has such a beautiful pattern and colour. Why would anyone want to swap that for white blotches?

·
Registered
13,316 Posts
This trend it retic morphs worries me. Retics aren't easy to shove in a plastic shoe box. They have huge clutches of eggs. Where are all these spare retics going to end up while people breed them to get that super morph. It really worries me.
Personally I have never liked pied retics. Even a normal wild type retic has such a beautiful pattern and colour. Why would anyone want to swap that for white blotches?
Just the usual different tastes ..... I don't care for the normal Retic pattern at all but the Tiger variation really appeals to me ....

·
Registered
13,316 Posts
Just to wet the appetites.......

Two retics in Peter Rice's Shop - both absolutely stunning beasts!

[URL=http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w410/jurassicherp/Jurassic%20Herp/pied1_zpsawxtq43q.jpg]image[/URL]

And the pies de la resistance.....

[URL=http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w410/jurassicherp/Jurassic%20Herp/pied_zpslrpmfhrp.jpg]image[/URL]

Available for £3k I believe - Money well spent if you ask me!

Now....lets see your pieds!

The second one ( lower photo ) is simply beaut !

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone recently bought pieds? Got Pied projects underway?

We would one day like to own one - they look particularly beautiful as adults!

Very interested to see what happens over the coming breeding season in terms of the albino combinations in pieds and also adding other morph combo's with the pied gene!

I can imagine Gabor Kaminski will be announcing some exciting animals over the next year.

If anyone has any low down on the pied developments please do let us all know!

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I hate pieds, worst morph* in any snake imo------- but in honesty I've seen one that I did like.

*excluding those known for neuro problems etc

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Worries me too. It's easy to house excess unwanted royal morphs (which raises it's own questions anyways) But you still see them flooding rescues and passes around left right and centre. Hopefully the size issues will put a lot of smaller scale breeders off :hmm:

Reactions: Paul F

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate pieds, worst morph* in any snake imo------- but in honesty I've seen one that I did like.

*excluding those known for neuro problems etc
There's something about a white or almost all white snake for us! Hence why we love the pied's and lucy's.

I wasn't aware of the neuro in pieds. My Jags used to have a little bit of it - horrible to see

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I wasn't aware of the neuro in pieds. My Jags used to have a little bit of it - horrible to see
There aren't neuro problems in pieds. Bradley was saying that he thought the pied was one of the worse morphs in his opinion - apart from anything that is associated with neuro problems.

The jaguar reticulated pythons appear to have neuro or "head wobble" issues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahh....my bad! Head wobble was tragic in my jags - so sad to see. Wish I'd been informed by the breeder at point of sale!

Some retics suffer with neuro though dont they? Did I hear of an Ultra Ivory that is constantly going upside down etc?

Maybe you can advise?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you know of any pieds for sale currently? I'm sure people may well be interested in knowing......

Someone also mentioned Panda's which is one of Jay Brewers projects? Can anyone shed any light?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Dean at The Reptile Room and Peter at Peter Rice Reptiles have pieds for sale. I only know of Gabor that has any available as a private breeder.

With regards to neuro issues, I'm only aware of the jaguar in retics. If there was an ultra ivory with problems, then I dare say it was probably a one off issue rather than a genetic one.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Thing is give it a year and you will pick them up well cheaper.
Already seen them offered at just over a grand, it's at the point where everyone is breeding them so due to be the big excess sell off next season and with retic adult sizes prices will drop faster than the latest ball morph lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tend to agree! With the developments and work being put into the dwarf and SD market, I can see the mainland market dropping quite a bit over the next few years!

We're all about the mainlands! We'll wait for the pied price to drop then get one sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I had my pied from Gabor, it is a gorgeous snake with a great temperament. From what I hear although have not seen myself, Bob's pieds do not have as good a temperament.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.