Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Right, i said i would post my latest viv build and some picture of my overall stack including this latest additon! Sorry this has taken so long but as you'll see in my second post ive been a little busy with another part of the stack which i hope you'll all like/be impressed with!!! ;)

As you can see there is less structure in this one as we wanted more floor space as this one is for two beardies. we still stuck with the tiles for easy cleaning and hygiene, and also made the items removable in this viv so we could easily change it in time!

As you can see from the full stack view Pimp my viv (PMV) II has had its plants removed as they kept dying in the heat and the morio worms would disappear inside the pots!!! :lol:

As you may be able to see from the photos we adjusted the lighting as suggested by pendragon by having two UVB's tubes with reflectors, a UVA natural sun light for peak day sun and moon lighting to start and end the day.

Comments welcome!! :whistling2:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Electrical Control Panel

so here is the 2nd thing we have been working on.......

sorry the photos arent great but its a bit of a squeeze behind the vivs to take a photo square on! as you can see no plugs, multiplugs, timer plugs or excess wire.... literally one mains lead into the wall which powers everything!!!!!

here you can see the main control panel, the left side is the 240V supply with digital timers which gives me a possible 8 timed circuits allowing the automated on off of the lighting and heating systems. the right hand side is the 12V DC panel which powers the fans and moonlight system.

the next picture shows how the lower viv is attached to the main control panel.

At the moment we only have the two vivs running from it but as the stack expands we will be able to run everything off this one control panel!!! :no1:

·
Registered
608 Posts
RE Set Ups

Hi

The set up of the vivs pale into insignificance to the wiring set-up!!!!!! That has got to be one of the best I have ever seen.:no1:

My vivs are wired in a similar fashion only instead of a electrical boxes, conduit tubing and carfully positioned starters and thermostats I have used 14.24m of gaffa tape and a nail!!!!!

Respect:notworthy:

Mark

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, thanks everyone for the great comments! It's seems like my wiring has taken the lime light away from the viv's though! Lol.

Right let me quickly reply to everyone:-

Nike T7 - I came up with the top design to give varied levels to the viv so the Beardie could experience differing levels of UV and still look natural. Where the bottom viv I tried to keep more open and easy to clean as of having two inhabitants.

Pendragon - Unfortunately I was rushed building this latest viv so didn't have the time to document the different stages. Though after seeing the numerous You Tube videos by Becky I may try and do one during my next build!

Josh N - The wiring of the panel didn't actually take that long though the design of the panel and the purchasing of the correct parts did take quiet some time!

Viper - Accessing the panel can be done by rotating the top viv slightly though all the dials and switches can be accessed by reaching down the side.

I hope that answers everyones questions and feel free to ask anymore! Once again thanks for the great comments!

·
Registered
256 Posts
They are awesome dude!! :no1:

THey are very neat and tidy, both back and front.

So whats the deal with the lighting, looks great...How do you do it?

·
Registered
423 Posts
What a totally awesome set-up and example of how to really go to town on the care of the collection. That’s the neatest wiring setup I have ever seen, and some fantastic backgrounds. Are you an electrician by chance ?

Wouldn’t mind some detail on the wiring system if your willing to share it ?

:no1: :2thumb: :notworthy:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What a totally awesome set-up and example of how to really go to town on the care of the collection. That’s the neatest wiring setup I have ever seen, and some fantastic backgrounds. Are you an electrician by chance ?

Wouldn’t mind some detail on the wiring system if your willing to share it ?

:no1: :2thumb: :notworthy:
Thanks very much for the comments. I used to work with electrics which gave me the idea for the control panel. I just didn't like using loads of 4 way gang sockets and timer plugs, to me just looked like an accident waiting to happen!
As for sharing information I wouldn't mind at all! Hence the reason for forums right? Though I would say it's best to know what your doing and being confident in your skills when it comes to wiring!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I work for an electrical distribution company so getting parts would be no issue etc. I am a programmer by trade anything from windows applications to programs for Microcontrollers and I dabble a lot with DC circuits in particular although I am no electrician.

My current home project as I like to call them is a data logger / control unit for the vivs so I can remove the need for multiple dimmer stats etc the controller will be configurable on the fly so to speak from the software monitoring it which will also be a system for recording feeding, weights, health etc of all my pets. It might even have a web interface yet. It keeps me busy I suppose.

Like you I hate the idea of wires and lots of plugs in lots of sockets, I have a several viv's to control but there requirements can be grouped into two real control scenarios as they either contain bearded dragons or royal pythons.

I was looking at removing the multiple ballasts required to run the UVB and natural light tubes I use and moving to ballasts that run multiple tubes. I notice you still run individual ballasts was the reason for this one of individual control and timing ?

As for the main control board you have there how did you decide to wire that to the mains, I assume your not wiring back to the consumer unit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow I love your set ups!! The backing and the sides that have levels on and come outwards, did you but or make them? Brilliant!!

The wiring, I cant say anymore than anyone else, that is just awsome all round!!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.