Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got my first tarantula, and was wondeing if i could have some advice,
Ineed to know everything really so, if you guys could just post me some stuff about tank and substrate etc
thanx
jay

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Excellent choice :2thumb:

For Avicularia species (pinktoe) you will need a tall tank or tub as they are arboreal tarantula's so need more height then ground space. You can use cocofibre or peat moss as substrate with a tall piece of corkbark and plant for it to climb on and web. You will need to keep it a high humidity and because of this the tank will also need really good ventilation to stop it getting mouldy. A waterdish will be needed too.

Avicularia are my all time favourite spider so if you have any pics to show off your new addition, I would be well pleased :)

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
the tank has to be higher than long, with ventilation through the sides, at the top and bottom, coco fibre or Ecoearth is what most people use, or ORGANIC compost, has to be organic.
you'll need a cork tube or a peice of cork against the wall which the tarantula can hide in.
plants are not really nessecary, but it gives the tank a better look, and it will look more natrual if the plants are realistly placed.
spray the viv so it wet on the substrate, avoid spraying the spider itself.
Out of interst, how big is it? if its a sling, it will only need a small jar for now, if adult, a 12x6x6 is about right
Good luck with your Avic, ventilation is very important

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
I keep mine in a cereal tub (plastic ones from a supermarket). I mix some eco earth so its about an inch with a couple of handfuls of vermiculite. I cut a square in the side of the tub and cover with fine wire mesh and then place holes around the top and bottom of the tub. I then put a large piece of cork bark in the tub and add tarantula.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey!!

Excellent choice :2thumb:

For Avicularia species (pinktoe) you will need a tall tank or tub as they are arboreal tarantula's so need more height then ground space. You can use cocofibre or peat moss as substrate with a tall piece of corkbark and plant for it to climb on and web. You will need to keep it a high humidity and because of this the tank will also need really good ventilation to stop it getting mouldy. A waterdish will be needed too.

Avicularia are my all time favourite spider so if you have any pics to show off your new addition, I would be well pleased :)
hEY THANX FOR THE ADVICE,
ooops caps lock,,,
she is about a inch in size maybe slightly bigger, what sort of heat source would you use, i havea heat matt on back of tank, and i have soaked vermiculite as substrate, i have some eco earth which i may put in, " as its left over from my scorpion tank lol,
p.s i will upload some pics for ya,
jay

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
hEY THANX FOR THE ADVICE,
ooops caps lock,,,
she is about a inch in size maybe slightly bigger, what sort of heat source would you use, i havea heat matt on back of tank, and i have soaked vermiculite as substrate, i have some eco earth which i may put in, " as its left over from my scorpion tank lol,
p.s i will upload some pics for ya,
jay
You're welcome :)

A heatmat on the back should do just fine if the temps where she is kept are low enough to need it. Temps usually around 27-30 with humidity of around 80%.
You could mix the eco earth with some of the vermiculite to make a decent substrate that holds moisture well.

Will keep an eye open for your pics :2thumb:

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
For a 1" spiderling all you need is a little plastic tub. Asda do a little tub about 3" high by 1 1/2" across for 26p. Melt some small holes in the top and sides with a hot pin.
Fill it just under halfway with damp substrate and put a piece of wood in slanting upwards. Your Avic will use this to climb and web. Mist the inside lightly a few times a week so the soil doesn't dry out.
When it's a bit bigger you could move it into one of those screw-top plastic beakers, again with air holes :)

I have an Avic that size which I got from Poxicator on here, and it's the cutest little thing.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
For a 1" spiderling all you need is a little plastic tub. Asda do a little tub about 3" high by 1 1/2" across for 26p. Melt some small holes in the top and sides with a hot pin.
Fill it just under halfway with damp substrate and put a piece of wood in slanting upwards. Your Avic will use this to climb and web. Mist the inside lightly a few times a week so the soil doesn't dry out.
When it's a bit bigger you could move it into one of those screw-top plastic beakers, again with air holes :)

I have an Avic that size which I got from Poxicator on here, and it's the cutest little thing.
Personally I prefer to get Avics into adult sized containers as soon as possible so as to save on rehousing them too often. Avics can be funny little sods when it comes to moving house and take ages to settle and start webbing after a move. They are also active little predators so do well with extra space. I've raised many this way with very few losses.

I also keep the substrate relatively dry (wet it and let it dry before wetting it again) and just lightly mist a couple of times a week. Mould can be a real pain in the backside if they are kept wet all the time. The only time I ever soak the substrate is when I'm putting them through a wet season. The waterdish is full at all times though.

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Personally I prefer to get Avics into adult sized containers as soon as possible so as to save on rehousing them too often. Avics can be funny little sods when it comes to moving house and take ages to settle and start webbing after a move. They are also active little predators so do well with extra space. I've raised many this way with very few losses.

I also keep the substrate relatively dry (wet it and let it dry before wetting it again) and just lightly mist a couple of times a week. Mould can be a real pain in the backside if they are kept wet all the time. The only time I ever soak the substrate is when I'm putting them through a wet season. The waterdish is full at all times though.
I agree with this. Also if u do rehouse them try to move the piece of bark with their webbing already attached as this will encourage them to reweb and also if they are coming upto a moult will stop them going on the floor which will kill them. A trick taught to me by Pete (Poxicator)

·
Registered
13,232 Posts

Thanks for that tip :) My adult Avic is only just settling in now. It's only just started webbing a bit and eating almost a month after I got it. When I rehouse my sling I'll put it into something bigger than I'd planned, so I don't have to move it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts