Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have this big empty viv thats been sitting around a while and decided last month that i wanted a pink tongue for it :)
so for a month now all ive been doing is reading endless care sheets! :bash: so ive got it all down from diets to temps ect and added in my own knowledge as i grew up in the same part of aus there from and would see them wild daily i know the places they liked to hide out :lol2:
my problem is with uv
ive never kept anything that requires it before my cresties and snakes go fine on the natural daylight in the house

some sheets say yes most say no, however when ever i saw them wild it was day time which tells me they need it imo as thats when they are active

so i have all the fittings for a tube light but no tube bulb....what one to get how strong a or b?!
then basking? if they have a uv tube can an infrared bask spot serfice for day and night like i do my king snake or do i need spot for day then infra for night with a uv tube?
if i do need spot for day and infra for night is there a spot that has uv so i can ditch the tube and run the infra/uv spot on timers?
im so confused!
please help.....p.s ive also emailed this jumbled and confusing question to the guys at Arcadia as ive heard they can be good help but that was a week ago and im still awaiting reply

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
hi

yes I am happy to help but your message has nota arrived here as yet?

I will need to know the size and decoration of your viv and a list of any kit that you already have

all the best

john

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So my viv is wooden 4x2x2 so all heat/lighting would be inside and caged up
I have plenty of 100w infrared heat bulbs and ceramics that I use for my snakes and spare cage guards and domes (I live pretty rural so I stock up in case things need replacing and I cant get to a store fast)
I also have spare heat mats I use with my sand boas if these would be a better source of heat for the pts
The tube light fitting I have is t8 arcadia contoller (although I have no idea what that means lol)
Decor wise I dont use live plants but do have large drift wood for climbing and hides and fake plants to make it more homely

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
hi

what wattage does the controller state?

if it is one of ours it will have an AC or ACR or ACU or ACUP code?

john

So my viv is wooden 4x2x2 so all heat/lighting would be inside and caged up
I have plenty of 100w infrared heat bulbs and ceramics that I use for my snakes and spare cage guards and domes (I live pretty rural so I stock up in case things need replacing and I cant get to a store fast)
I also have spare heat mats I use with my sand boas if these would be a better source of heat for the pts
The tube light fitting I have is t8 arcadia contoller (although I have no idea what that means lol)
Decor wise I dont use live plants but do have large drift wood for climbing and hides and fake plants to make it more homely

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
ok it should then say ACUP18 or ACU18

if so I would use an FD318, this is a 6% 18watt 24" T8 lamp. add in the ALR18 reflector. These are essential as so much light is wasted other wise

set this up fixed to the roof of the hot end of the viv, this is your photo and thermal gradient.

you can place formal hides and caves at the cool end and use live plants all through the viv. These skinks climb very well and will be able to self-regulate their own ideal level of exposure in the viv and as they have need.

The 6% Will re-create a gentle ambient UVI over a dedicated portion of the viv.

Why not speak to Gill from Justairplants to find out what plants are safe to use.

Its a great species to keep and one that I have been involved with in the recent past. they do bask and they pretty much need to eat snails most of the time.

good luck

john

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont suppose you know of anyone who farms their own snails? Im getting some live escargot in the hopes of getting a supply going, I've seen lots of stuff on people getting wild caught, feeding them up then boiling to kill off parasites before freezing but im guessing having my own supply would be more reliable than catching as many as I can, just wondering if you could point me in the direction of someone who's done this before, im guessing you cant go very wrong with snails but id still want them as happy as can be before getting eaten

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
yes this is super easy,

just keep a few African land snails and you will have production for most of the year. any over supply in the summer can be frozen off for the winter.

if you are breeding them and feeding cleaned foods then you know that there is very little parasite risk. I would use Verm-x for 3 days a month on a food source to increase useful gut flora and to decrease the parasite risk. follow the instructions, it may be herbal but it is very, very effective.

most if not all shops will have them.

John,

Dont suppose you know of anyone who farms their own snails? Im getting some live escargot in the hopes of getting a supply going, I've seen lots of stuff on people getting wild caught, feeding them up then boiling to kill off parasites before freezing but im guessing having my own supply would be more reliable than catching as many as I can, just wondering if you could point me in the direction of someone who's done this before, im guessing you cant go very wrong with snails but id still want them as happy as can be before getting eaten

1 - 9 of 9 Posts