Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

At the moment I am feeding my 7 month old cali king snake 1 or 2 pinkies every 4-6 days or so. She's a very aggressive eater, taking frozen ones right out of my hand. However, the pinkies don't seem to be making much of a bulge on her, even when she is fed two. She s about 20" or so, complete estimate as quite hard to measure to be honest!

Should I move her up to fuzzies at this age, or should I continue feeding 2 pinkies for a little while longer!

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
try with a fuzzy or even rat pinkys. i have just moved up size'z on the corn. last week took 4 pinkys so thought it was time to move up and this week it had a rat pup i think. i must say were slightly worried about but it eat it, got big bump now.

they can normally swollow any thing the 1 and half time bigger than there body.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
It all depends on the thicknes of your snake and the thickness of the food.

Fuzzie mice can vary in size quite a bit. Buy some and compare the size of the fuzz with that of your snake.

The general rule is the food should be around one and a half size that of your snake.

One way I increase food size for my snakes is to feed them two pinks a week for two weeks then a fuzz for one week. See how it goes and how big the food looks in the snakes stomach.

·
Banned
2,221 Posts
Hi,

At the moment I am feeding my 7 month old cali king snake 1 or 2 pinkies every 4-6 days or so. She's a very aggressive eater, taking frozen ones right out of my hand. However, the pinkies don't seem to be making much of a bulge on her, even when she is fed two. She s about 20" or so, complete estimate as quite hard to measure to be honest!

Should I move her up to fuzzies at this age, or should I continue feeding 2 pinkies for a little while longer!
do you defrost the food first.. lmao

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Evilchild is right, if its not making a bump, move up a size. You will be surprised how much they can stretch! I would also suggest stop hand feeding, unless you want a snake that assosciates your hand with food! You will end up getting bitten!

·
Registered
266 Posts
cool thread. Was wondering..how do you know to feed your snake 2 fuzzies/rat pups rather than just 1.

I have a feeling that if i offered my girl 2 she would take them both...but i dont want to push it.

·
Registered
17,332 Posts
As you have already found out, kingsnakes are great feeders! Your snake will manage a fuzzie no problems, so just move up a food size. She will be on half growns before you know where you are!!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks every one, I think I will move her up to one fuzzy a week then.

Oh and yes, I do defrost them first!!! DUHHHHHH!

·
Registered
13,984 Posts
A seven month old Cali should be well onto fuzzies. Here's my girl at eight months eating a good sized fuzzy. Two of these bad boys at a time and before that she was eating at least four pinkies every six to eight days.

As long as your snake can engulf and swallow the prey item, then it's not to big : victory:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts