Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This wil sound so daft, but bought some pinkies for my gray-band and they are black! :oops: Thought all pinkies were pink! Didn't know whether black mice were born with black skin or not. It's just the pet shop we get them from is not 100% reliable at times. Just wondered if any of you guys have ever had black pinkies. :lol:

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
neither have i ummmmmmmmmm didnt know u could get black pinkys

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
There is nothing wrong with dark coloured pinkies, they are exactly the same as pink ones - its just melanin pigment in their skin, the same as feeding a brown adult mouse as opposed to an albino one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The shop i get my pinkies from occasionally gives me some black ones and they are fine.......threw me a bit the first time too but my corn was more than happy with them.

On the other hand my housemates corns refuse to eat the black ones....*shrug*

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Yep lots of WC stuff seems happier to eat dark coloured mice than albino ones. The shop I get my stuff from now has a whole variety of coloured mice, which is fairly unusual. I dont know who their supplier is though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I breed mice and get black pinkies from certain mice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didnt know they smelt different! I figured a pinky mouse is a pinky mouse is a pinky mouse.

If they are genetically the same though, and its just melanin pigment in their skin, how comes they have a different odour? Does the pigment mean they make a slightly different smell, or are they ever so slightly genetically different or what?

I'm just curious how it works...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also, does anyone know why pinky mice are called pinky mice? It would seem its not because they are pink.

I always thought it's because they are supposed to be roughly the size of your 'pinky' finger (Americanism), however, even the larger ones i get arent really anywhere near the size of my little finger.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had black and sort of patchy pinkies, went down well!

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i used to get some well weird coloured ones lol..
they are fine

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your replies. They're for my 7 month old gray-band. She struck at the first one, so maybe they do actually smell different! :lol: Knowing my luck now, the reptile shop will only have pink pinkies forever more! :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.