Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi would like to make a planted viv for my brb including waterfall? plants? and using bark chips corvering soil any sugestion on any of thes fings like wat are good plants anybody know of any good water features
the viv is 120x80.40
dan

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi would like to make a planted viv for my brb including waterfall? plants? and using bark chips corvering soil any sugestion on any of thes fings like wat are good plants anybody know of any good water features
the viv is 120x80.40
dan
Hi,

My oldest BRB is only a year older than yours, however i'm not exactly sure how to make a nice planted viv... Your boa is small, and won't want a big house, and yet you'd need sturdy places for them to climb. so i'd suggest artificial climbing spaces with some ficus to provide leafy surrounds. The substrate sounds ok as long as you are using overhead heating, just be careful when feeding that it isn't ingested.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
i am making a planted viv for my water dragon, and they need simalar, (but not the same) enviroments. the main difference is the WD may snack on the plants. i will probably do one for my burm, if the WD one is sucsessful.

i would reccomend using a platform, above the soil as a basking spot, so the ground isnt in direct heat, as this would dry the soil.

as for plants, as the brb isnt going to be eating them, you can have most.
look for house plants that are for a shaded place, that can stand the temps.

dracinia is good, as are spider plants. moss is good for the humidity.

just make sure that the plants you use have no prickles/thorns/spikes, and do not cause a skin reaction, then you should be fine.

you would also want to line the bottom of the viv, i am using rubble bags, glued, qith silicone sealent over the joins. i will staple the edges for added strength. then put in some hard core (rocks, broken bricks) for drainage. then some soil. i will use some weed profing felt, or nylon mesh (holes for the plants) in mine to prevent deep digging, then on top i will use some orchid bark.

otherwise, you can use a deep layer of bark, and potted plants on trays, but i doubt that will work as well, alot of water would be spilled and absorbed, and it definatly wouldnt look as good:smile:

i will use a clear bottle, with holes in the bottom, buried so i can see the water level, in the bottom, for ease.

have you posted any pics of you boa, i think there gawgous:no1: : victory:

regards
Dan

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not yet still setling in but wil and there will be a lot
i am planing on doing that kind of thing it wont be till she is older but will sart and get it all setled how big do u think she should be before she can go in the big viv thats 120x80x40
dan

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Never tried a planted viv mate, but you asked for my comments, so here goes:

I've put up a few posts covering my BRB's setup when I first got it, and when I moved to it's first viv (only 2ft), so search for em if you want to see how I set up.

Looking at the specific points in your post:

- bark chips are good, I find they help maintain good humidity on their own, when combined with a couple of large water bowls, no need for extra misting. Keeps it 75 - 80% in mine. Make sure you have a humid hide too at all times.

- I've heard stories of small snakes getting into the waterfalls and curling around the pump, so decided not to use one. I've heard that putting a fogger attached to a timer on for an hour each morning works well, but I've not used either.

- I use the fake exoterra plants, can't be bothered with real ones.

- Moving to a big viv also depends on what you have it in now, and when it will outgrow it. As a comparison, mine started in a flat exo terra tub, I've moved to a 2ft x 15" viv now it's at 2ft in length, and will look to build a 4ft when the snake gets to 3 - 3 and a half feet in length. Just gonna make sure there are plenty of hides in the big viv.

2 suggestions for the viv - The exo terra snake caves with the enclosed bottom and removable lids make great humid hides. I have a medium one which I keep filled with damp moss and my snake loves it. Secondly, cover on of the water bowls with a piece of bark or something, th snake will be able to soak while still feeling secure.

Finally, I agree with the earlier comment about sealing the joins in the viv with sealant. Essential. Plenty of threads on habitat board about what one to use.

·
Registered
577 Posts
i did a realistic planted viv for a young boa constrictor a while back, i even tried some green anoles and red eye tree frogs in with her and it worked great except for one problem, as the snake grew she tore it all to pieces and wrecked everything, still it was really nice while it lasted and i didnt lose a single frog or anole the whole time they were together ( 2 years or so)

heres how it looked at its best

and how it looks now

thats the same viv taken from roughly the same angle and the big guyanan is the original snake i put in it 5 years ago

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
i did a realistic planted viv for a young boa constrictor a while back, i even tried some green anoles and red eye tree frogs in with her and it worked great except for one problem, as the snake grew she tore it all to pieces and wrecked everything, still it was really nice while it lasted and i didnt lose a single frog or anole the whole time they were together ( 2 years or so)

heres how it looked at its best

and how it looks now

thats the same viv taken from roughly the same angle and the big guyanan is the original snake i put in it 5 years ago
WOW i really love your setup a big thumbs up :grin1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts