Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i have a 2 and a half foot tank with platy amd molly fry in, there about 4months old now, they have all being fine and feed well and a water change is done every 10-14days, regular water tests are done and Ph ammonia nitrate and nitire levels are all normal, however i noticed last night that one platy has no eyes, another 2 have 1 eye, i have no idea why tho, the only new fish that was introduced last weekend was a zebra loach, they dont seem in any distress they all swim round fine eat fine etc, could there be something wrong with the water or is there a disease out there that causes it thats treatable

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hopefully not, because it's not all that common, but google "fish TB" (Mycobacterium marinum) I know one of the symptoms can be popeye or eyes falling out, but I can't remember the other symptoms. It's defo worth ruling out anyway.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
it could be popeye, ive heard of it ending up with the eyes actually coming out of the socket before. are the eyes looking swollen at all on any of the fry? im wondering if maybe when the fry are resting on the bottom at night if the loach could perhaps be nipping at them...only a possibility though.

zebra loaches like to have company of their own kind too by the way, maybe consider getting the little guy a friend or 2.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill have a look into that TB, thanks :) and yeah i have moved the loach into my 3ft tank with 2 other zebra loaches, hopefully the fry will be ok, keeping a eye on them all, theres no sign of them with swollen sore eyes or anything, thank you all for replying

1 - 4 of 4 Posts