Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my platy finally gave birth, can see about 8 fry atm, i dont think she is finished but my question is i already have some fry in a breeding trap that are about a month old, will they eat the new fry if i put them together? they wont be in there long as the mom will be put back in 3ft tank soon as shes done, all the fry can then have the smaller tank.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Hey, my platy finally gave birth, can see about 8 fry atm, i dont think she is finished but my question is i already have some fry in a breeding trap that are about a month old, will they eat the new fry if i put them together? they wont be in there long as the mom will be put back in 3ft tank soon as shes done, all the fry can then have the smaller tank.

They will eat them if they can fit in the mouths of the older fry, otherwise shouldn't be a problem :)

Can't you put them in a pint glass for a couple of days? thats what I used to do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, i didnt know i could do that, i thought they needed the pump for oxygen, would they be ok, sorry, im new to keeping fish, thank you for the quick reply :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
or you can put them in a plastic icecream tub or a simular container its far Better then putting them in a pint glass do a part water change evry 2 or 3 days

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive caught some so far and put them in a tub but what about the oxygen and heat, they are on a towel covered waterbottle atm to try keep temp up

·
Registered
59 Posts
Float the tub in your tank it will keep same temp in stead of pump for oxygen you can change 10- 20%of water evry 2 or 3 days

·
Registered
59 Posts
thets great news:2thumb: if you have them in a tub be careful not to over feed them. they dont eat food straitht away so no need to feed them for the first 24 hours,

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Over 40, lost count after that lol :2thumb: thank you all for the help :-D

just noticed my other sunset platy is pregnant now too :-D
if shes about a week or two, whens best to put her in the breeding trap?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gestation is about 4 weeks.
PS - the mother shouldn't eat her fry straight away, since birth causes her to produce a special hormone that represses her appetite. Add a small pinch of flake food or dried bloodworms to be on the safe side, that way she can eat that if she needs the protein.
Remember to separate males and females ASAP, or you will have a population explosion!

Congratulations, btw!:2thumb:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx for the tip :) yeah they will be split lol, dont have room for more after this next lot lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gestation is about 4 weeks.
PS - the mother shouldn't eat her fry straight away, since birth causes her to produce a special hormone that represses her appetite. Add a small pinch of flake food or dried bloodworms to be on the safe side, that way she can eat that if she needs the protein.
Remember to separate males and females ASAP, or you will have a population explosion!

Congratulations, btw!:2thumb:
special hormone or not if a livebearer is hungry enough it will eat its own fry straight away

there are many types of livebearers that will eat there fry almost straight away no matter how well they are fed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.