Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey !god damm its hard work trying to set up a viv for the first time! and quite frustrating.... :x ,but i bought my glass three ft viv off ebay which came with heat mat,and mat statt in fulyworking order! only it came with a light and the bulb is 40wtt and is half blue and the rest white,now what kind of bulb is this? and is it suitable for a corn? if not what would you reccomend?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
To me it just sounds like one of those blue spot light bulbs. The ones that are painted, or half painted in this case.
The bulb (if its what I think it is) will emit white and blue light. I know snakes can't see red light but not sure about blue. Somebody else will tell you.

Anyway it will be okay, but I think you may need a stat. Possibly not as I had a 40w bulb in a 18x15x15 viv and even on full it struggled to overheat. You may get away with using is on full and regulating the ambient temp with the heat mat. Be cautious if you do this though as the temperature of an uncontrolled heat source can be changed by the temps outside the viv (central heating in your house). You will also have to turn it off at night otherwise your corn will still think its day time which will mash his head slightly.

Corns spend a lot of time on teh ground so you may get away with just the mat and use the bulb purely for viewing (turn off when not viewing).

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
For a corn you'd be fine just having the bulb on during the day to boost the temps and off at night, with the mat on 24/& to give a warm area on the floor.

As carl said, make sure it's not going to overheat the viv - if the temps get above about 88F then put a lower wattage (25w) bulb in there.

Also, any light bulb or any power should have a guard - as it's a glass viv I'm assuming it's got a screen-type lid so you'd need something like this:

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=590

1 - 3 of 3 Posts