Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I’ve got another question with regards to keeping bearded dragons, if someone more experienced could help I would greatly appreciate it.

My question is:
Due to the hours I work and go to college I’m not actually in the house THAT much but I would like to see my dragon and I was just wondering whether or not a timetable such as this would be healthy for a dragon and if it would just mess with its natural clock too much.

07:00am- I get up get dressed go to college/work and add fresh fruit, veg, and water to his cage.
12:00pm- Lights comes on.
01:00pm- crickets are put into the dragon’s cage.

12:00am- I return home feed dragon again
02:00am- light goes out, red light comes on

As you can see this would give him a 14/10 light ratio but at rather unusual times this is however the only times I could see him most days. Would something like this be unhealthy?

Thank you in advance
Stevan

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
First thing, Is it a baby or an adult your getting??

The times do seem a bit messy consider they are not nocturnal, they are more day than night.

They need 12 hours on/ 12 hours off for UV and i normally drop the temps to the 70's at night for them.

You should really feed them a couple of hours after lights on & temps have risen with dusted crickets. and leave a bowl of greens & Veggies for them. I never feed mine fruit as too much can cause the runs!

I then feed them again late afternoon and give them a couple of hours to digest there food before switching the lights off and turning the temp down.

This is really tricky and i don't want to sound negative towards you but in the nicest manner possible:

Are you 100% sure on a Beardie as a pet? The times are a bit messy and think a timer is in need, and most important, giving him lots of love, He won't be very tame if he's left all day with no human contact.

Please think it over again before deciding 100%.

Also, I don't put babies on a 10/14 hour. I put them on 12/12 hour. Only Adults over a year old should have the 14/10 hours.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm going to have to agree with Becky here - I really don't think your timetable leaves room for any pet time much - except maybe a snake. Your life seems pretty hectic at the moment and you're hardly ever home. Sorry to sound negative ...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would have to agree with the others,beardys like having contact with people and with your lifestyle it doesn't look like you could give them that.What about a gecko,they are nocturnal and not so bothered about being handled.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Its not up to me to say if you should get a beardie or not... thats your decision obviously, and if you want it enough it might work, but all i don want happeneing is the effort of maintaining that schedule getting so much that you end up getting fed up of him. I'm not saying you would intentionally, but that kind of stress would get to any one!

Personally, i would get a gecko. and i am infact! lol. I'm at uni and have a very irratinal hectic timetable myself so i am getting crested geckos. They're cute, fun to watch as they jump around, only need feeding once a day or every other day. you still feed them a mix of crickets and fruits (in the form of babyfood or CGD mix) and theyre nocturnal. Theyre also considered pretty handlable as although skttish whyen young, they calm down considerably and can b really quite affectionate! theyre schedule would also suit yours!

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
i would recomend a gecko or 2 as well (its what i have hehe), im at uni and the schedule is hetic not really time to give a beardie the attention it needs, plus geckos are far more fun especial since thir nocternal like me and nmost students so their out when u get in and can give them the attention they need then withoug disturbing their dayly cycle.

if it was me dude as i have i would go for a gecko or 2.

good luck
jay

·
Banned
290 Posts
it doesnt really sound like you have much time for your dragon. maybe a gecko or a corn snake would be a more appropriate pet?

your light would be better on a timer methinks

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys thanks very mush for youre advice, mabys I'll just have to wait a little while before I get one? I want whats best for the dragon

Thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts