Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help i fed my corn snake earlier but i think i fed him a to bigger mouse he is moving really slow and when he opens his mouth a bubble come's out went to pick him up and blood come out of his mouth what do i do

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
help i fed my corn snake earlier but i think i fed him a to bigger mouse he is moving really slow and when he opens his mouth a bubble come's out went to pick him up and blood come out of his mouth what do i do
How much bigger is it than his girth?
Is it possible you over heated it and the mouse had popped, and that is why there is blood?
Sounds like he may be trying to regurge, leave him be for the time being.
Any pics?
Vets may be in order, would book him in-
Reptile vets

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the mouse was about inch and a half to 2 inche's long and my corn snake is just under 2 foot
been feeding him pinkie's but the ship told me after ive fed him the first lot of pinkie's move him onto other's he was eating 3 pinkie's a week

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
bit of a weird question for you, the blood coming out of the snakes mouth,
does it look old??? like from the mouse, will probably be dark and thick. or is it bright and runny???

is there a big bump where the food is in the snakes belly??

is your snake restless at all?? it could be as reptile man said that the stomach of the mouse has burst, it has also been known for the claws of the mouse to get cought inside the snake, generally causes discomfort but cant really rule it out

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
the mouse was about inch and a half to 2 inche's long and my corn snake is just under 2 foot
been feeding him pinkie's but the ship told me after ive fed him the first lot of pinkie's move him onto other's he was eating 3 pinkie's a week
Size sounds, pretty much perfect tbh.What's he up to now?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he hasnt moved but i think the blood might be from the mouse as it wasnt comming out before i tried to pick him up im really worried his head is tilted at a bit of an angle is not a constant flow of blood only when i tried to pick him up he still has the mouse in his belly

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
The way I see it is a snake won't eat a food item that is too big, if he's managed to get it down he should be fine. Leave him to it but keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts

that wasnt quite waht we wanted to hear

what was the size of the mouse compared to the snakes body?

a corn can take an item thats about 1.5 times the thickest part of the body (i only feed about same size though)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Even if the mouse was a bit too big the best thing to do is leave the snake alone.
Handling it now will mostl ikely result in it sicking up the mouse.
Handling after a meal = It's like you having your sunday dinner then going on the rides at the fair.
Leave him in peace and it will most likely digest it OK.
If in doubt, feed him a slightly smaller mouse next time.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
make sure if you heat a mouse to defrost it that it isnt too hot, but on the other hand make sure it isnt still frozen in the middle, larger mice will take a lot longer to defrost than pinks.

just some random advice for the future :lol2:

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Just to give you an idea of the sorts of things a corn can swallow (and have NO adverse effects at all) here is a pic of one of my corns having a large meal.

I wouldn't for a minute suggest this sort of meal as a regular thing, but it helps to illustrate how big a meal they are more than capable of eating

First thing to do is NEVER pick up a snake after eating (although you've probably figured that one now!
Second thing is to very closely monitor the snake. As the others have said, it could have been blood from the mouse or it could be that a claw has nicked the inside of the snakes throat. However, it is also possible it is something more sinister (I'm particularly worried about the 'bubble' you mentioned.)

Is there any chance you can put some pictures up?

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
954 Posts
all my corns eat extra large mice without any problem and the mean didnt sound to big as the snake got it down i agree the blood probably came from the mouse you corn should be fine just keep an eye on him gl..

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
the snake didnt make it thanks for everything though
Didnt make it, as in its dead?????
An oversized meal is unlikely to kill a snake, if it went down and there was something wrong with the mouse the snake would have thrown it back up. If the poor little thing is dead then sounds like there was something more wrong to begin with.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have looked after it completely to how i have read online and in the corn snake book i cant see it was my looking after that done it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts