Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can someone please please help me, im really sorry if this is out of place im just not too sure where to write this, there arent any vets in my area so im not too sure who to consult.

I have a carpet python who is about a meter in length, he has always been ok feeding but a little tempermental/viscous... He is fed once a week, I fed him and I was away on business for a week when I came back to feed him, I opened the viv door to find about and an inch of his tail had been somehow stuck in the viv door, the log that he normally sits on under the light had fallen over and hit the door I dont know how but he was stuck and I dont know how long for, I looked at the tail and it just looked a little squashed it was just the tip about an inch, I fed him and he ate it straight away like normal... I thought it would heal somehow and I dont know any vets for reptiles around here so I didnt know what to do, a couple of days later it was time for him to shed anyway and when he did I thought all was ok, he had lost a small part of his tail but it looked like it was ok and the rest had healed, ive just seen him again now and this is a few days later he is staying in the water a lot now and the tail looks like it has skin hanging of it and it looks bloody... Is there anything I can do myself for the poor thing please? Im really sorry I dont know where else to go for advice, would the snake be ok with a portion of its tail missing???
[/quote]

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
This is the place to ask that. So don't be worried about having it in the wrong part of the forums.

Why not try to get a pic of the injury? Just so some of the people on here might be able to see it and advise you on some action.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it is looking bloody and there is any sign of an open wound then you could get a reptile disinfectant to clean the wound. I think there is one on the market called tamodine. This should help to keep it clean and stop any infections. Keep an eye on it and over time it should heal up fine. Long term missing a small part of the tail wont bother the snake at all. If possible then it would be best to have it looked at by a vet, You could try on yell.com to see where your nearest one is. Failing that give your local vet a call and ask if they know of any near by, They should should know of one that they can refer you to.

Good luck and dont worry, I am sure it will all turn out fine.
keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
One of my garters lost the end of her tail - got it caught in the mesh of a faunarium lid, freaked out and broke/dislocated it - it came off with a shed a few months later and she's been fine since.
It did dry up first and came off really clean though - whereas with yours it's happened quite quickly.

Your one sounds like it may have become infected so he needs a trip to the vet - any vet for something like this would be ok I reckon.
There are a couple of sites with lists of reptile vets though - I'll see if I can find a link.

I think the only long term problem that this kind of thing can cause is if the damage is nearer to the vent and affects the hemipenes.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
not having a go at pocorn at all, but this highlights why all viv decor needs to securley fixed, hope your snakes tail is ok,and heals up nice,sorry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts