Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this forum and just wondered if someone could give me some advice ....

my 3 foot king snake hasnt eaten a mouse since the middle of december which is odd because he usualy eats anything slightly resembling a mouse!
i have tried changing my supplier of mice, braining the mice, leaving in a container with the mouse, leaving mouse in over night, changing size of food but EVERY time now he shows no interest whatsoever, infact if you take the mouse near him he will turn in the opposite direction. :-| i even tried live feeding yesterday to which he showed an interest by stalking the poor mouse for hours but his attempts to catch it were either very half hearted or he's REALLY rubbish at catching mice. in the end i took the mouse back out because he had seemed to had suffered enough for one day (the mouse and snake came out without a scrath on it) what can i do to get him eating again? i have left time in between feeding attempts and the temps/viv have not changed. is my snake turning vegetarian or maybe he thinks he's a royal...........p.s sorry about the long post

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Live feeding is said to be a last option, yet your king has only stopped eating for a month. Maybe you are trying too hard. try leaving him for a whole 10 days, nothing but water changes, and try him on a brained mouse, dead of course.

Out of interest, have you changed his habitat recently? moved him into a new viv or anything that might have put him out of sorts?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I know some snakes are brumating at the moment - my hognose has only just come out of brumation when she fed last week - she hadn't eaten for 3 months. Like someone said on another post, keep weighing your snake to check for weight loss, otherwise if it seems normal and healthy and no weird breathing or anything, it could just be the time of year. I wouldn't recommend live feeding either.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
my corn norm fasts this time o year, don know why, mbut i tend to look at it as, a healthy snake that don eat for a month without probs is good cos it don brake the bank, he should pick up again in time good luck

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
hiya my male corn snake stopped eating for about 5 weeks and all i done was (something i didn't think about before) gave him a smaller mouse ect he was on a small mouse once a week and i gave him a fuzzie warmed and left it in over night and it was gone :) lets just hope it stays down tho...

Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts