Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Please help snake lovers.

I am a invert keeper and have no knowledge of snakes at all or how to keep them.

I am from the UK and I bidded on a vivarium online and got it for £10 which was cheap. It was filled with sand but didn't mind cleaning it. Picked it up an hour ago. However upon cleaning it out I have found a snake in there, I jumped and I cannot go near it. I have a fear of snakes but I do not want this snake to die in my care so I am turning to you guys. I have contacted the seller and he says it was the previous tenants and they were mistreating there animals and he has other under weight animals and cages for sale they left. This is shocking.

Please can a snake lover tell me what breed this is and if it is underweight so I can get him or her food quickly. My invert room is heated at 24 degrees.

Every time I open the top it strikes.

I will attach pictures. Please help me help this poor guy out.

I have took most of the sand out and it was all old and mouldy and no water was in there. I am sorting the water out as soon as I write this message.

Attachments

·
Registered
(Harley / F / Calrolina) (Noodle / F / Anerythristic) (Ruby / F / Hypo Bloodred Het Amel/Anery)
51 Posts
Looks like a Kenyan Sand Boa, first thing to do is get the viv set up maybe give it a clean out then add fresh substrate a heating source some hides and a water dish then go from there do a bit of research on the species,

In terms you have done this snake a favour if the previous owners never took care of it and the best part is sand boa's don't get massive like other snake species.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a Kenyan Sand Boa, first thing to do is get the viv set up maybe give it a clean out then add fresh substrate a heating source some hides and a water dish then go from there do a bit of research on the species,

In terms you have done this snake a favour if the previous owners never took care of it and the best part is sand boa's don't get massive like other snake species.
Thank you good sir!!

I have provided a water dish full now, i am currently researching now regarding care, i will go out and buy food tomorrow, what size do you recommended in mice/rats for this guy?

·
Registered
(Harley / F / Calrolina) (Noodle / F / Anerythristic) (Ruby / F / Hypo Bloodred Het Amel/Anery)
51 Posts
Thank you good sir!!

I have provided a water dish full now, i am currently researching now regarding care, i will go out and buy food tomorrow, what size do you recommended in mice/rats for this guy?
In all honesty I have no experience with this species of snake as for food general rule is you'll want a mouse that is equivalent to the size of the thickest part of the snakes body,

Hope that helps you sorry I can't provide any more infomation.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Keep it hot and dry by day, unheated at night.
Provide overhead heating NOT a heat mat.
Provide a hot spot of around 34C.
Food wise, try a small fuzzie to begin with.
If its male, which from its build it could be, it won't feed much throughout the year.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
I am from the UK and I bidded on a vivarium online and got it for £10 which was cheap. It was filled with sand but didn't mind cleaning it. Picked it up an hour ago. However upon cleaning it out I have found a snake in there
Bargain... £10 for a Sand Boa, complete with glass tank... (y)

Follow Ian's advice and you'll be OK. If you don't want the snake then I'm sure there will be people on here that would take it off your hands if required

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In all honesty I have no experience with this species of snake as for food general rule is you'll want a mouse that is equivalent to the size of the thickest part of the snakes body,

Hope that helps you sorry I can't provide any more infomation.
Don't be sorry you helped me help this guy out!! Thank you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep it hot and dry by day, unheated at night.
Provide overhead heating NOT a heat mat.
Provide a hot spot of around 34C.
Food wise, try a small fuzzie to begin with.
If its male, which from its build it could be, it won't feed much throughout the year.
Thank you Ian,

This is what i'm going to do.

Great advice!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update,

I have researched the Kenyan Sand Boa in great detail last night,

I am going to keep him/her as i feel it's had a rough time with its care, it's a fighter to survive no food. no heat source and a dirty environment for a long period of time (according to seller) and 'they didn't even know a snake was in that tank' I'm not sure what to believe, but i just want to give it a good home, and i am purchasing a wooden vivarium 3ft and going to follow Ian's advice. Any recommend what watt bulb i would need to to get temps of 35, i will control this with a thermostat but just need to know the wattage of the bulb would get this temp.

I will post pictures when it is all done.

Please can someone let me know if 3ft is suitable as i have researched it, but just want to check.

I am going to attempt to feed him/her later

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just an update,

I am going to keep him/her as i feel it's had a rough time with its care, it's a fighter to survive no food. no heat source and a dirty environment for a long period of time (according to seller) and 'they didn't even know a snake was in that tank' I'm not sure what to believe, but i just want to give it a good home, and i am purchasing a wooden vivarium 3ft and going to follow Ian's advice. Any recommend what watt bulb i would need to to get temps of 35, i will control this with a thermostat but just need to know the wattage of the bulb would get this temp.

Please can someone let me know if 3ft is suitable as i have researched it, but just want to check.

Thanks guys!
If it's a male I'd have thought 3ft is a little overboard as I know the males stay tiny, but I doubt it would do any harm to go big!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just an update,

Thanks guys!
A 50w bulb will be more than enough on a dimming thermostat,

Glad you have decided to keep him/her I know you said you were scared of snakes so in chance maybe this is a sign to help you get over that fear,

Either way you have decided to do what not many other people who are scared of snakes would do so I take my hat off to you and look forward to hearing about how he/she is doing in the future.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts

Glad you have decided to keep him/her I know you said you were scared of snakes so in chance maybe this is a sign to help you get over that fear,

Either way you have decided to do what not many other people who are scared of snakes would do so I take my hat off to you and look forward to hearing about how he/she is doing in the future.
Not in a 3 foot viv it won't be, which is the size viv I understand the OP is planning on using.
I would be looking at 100W.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anyone know if this snake needs/would benefit from UVB? I’m sorry, I don’t keep snakes, I keep dragons… but, if the OP could benefit from some UVB I have a T8 controller and a reflector I’m happy to send for free! Let me know!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does anyone know if this snake needs/would benefit from UVB? I’m sorry, I don’t keep snakes, I keep dragons… but, if the OP could benefit from some UVB I have a T8 controller and a reflector I’m happy to send for free! Let me know!
A sand boa doesn't require UVB but any species will benefit from having it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok well I’m happy to send an Arcadia UVB controller and a reflector to the OP if they are happy to receive?

also, I noticed they said the seller had other animals they were trying to sell.. any idea what they are/where I can locate them? Happy to help an animal in need!

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
A sand boa doesn't require UVB but any species will benefit from having it.
There is no evidence that says snakes WON'T benefit but plenty of work suggesting that while not essential, behaviour is different. Colours are brighter and the animal generally more active.

OP, if you want to provide UV, go for it. It won't cause any harm, and the snake is likely to benefit from it.
When you consider their natural environment, they would be exposed to plenty of UV.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Not in a 3 foot viv it won't be, which is the size viv I understand the OP is planning on using.
I would be looking at 100W.

Thank you! Will follow this advise :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok well I’m happy to send an Arcadia UVB controller and a reflector to the OP if they are happy to receive?

also, I noticed they said the seller had other animals they were trying to sell.. any idea what they are/where I can locate them? Happy to help an animal in need!
That is a kind offer. I will sure PM you! Thank you good sir.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to let everyone know,

I am picking up a 3ft wooden Vivarium today for him/her. a Bulb fitting will be attached and i will get a 100W bulb from my local reptile shop today and a guard.

He/she is currently doing well, i have him/her in a temporary exoterra (all i had) with a heat mat, connected to a stat, i know it's not ideal but i guess any heat is better than none over the weekend.

Any one recommend a type of sand i should get today?

I did offer food on Saturday (mice fuzzy as advised), but was refused but gave it to a tarantula of mine, so no food waste ;) . I am hoping when he/she is comfortable in the right temp, he/she will eat.

Will post a picture later of him/her in the new enclosure!

Thanks everyone

1 - 20 of 55 Posts