Reptile Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
There is no evidence that says snakes WON'T benefit but plenty of work suggesting that while not essential, behaviour is different. Colours are brighter and the animal generally more active.

OP, if you want to provide UV, go for it. It won't cause any harm, and the snake is likely to benefit from it.
When you consider their natural environment, they would be exposed to plenty of UV.
You have been a great help Ian thank you

·
Registered
(Harley / F / Calrolina) (Noodle / F / Anerythristic) (Ruby / F / Hypo Bloodred Het Amel/Anery)
59 Posts
Just to let everyone know,

I am picking up a 3ft wooden Vivarium today for him/her. a Bulb fitting will be attached and i will get a 100W bulb from my local reptile shop today and a guard.

He/she is currently doing well, i have him/her in a temporary exoterra (all i had) with a heat mat, connected to a stat, i know it's not ideal but i guess any heat is better than none over the weekend.

Any one recommend a type of sand i should get today?

I did offer food on Saturday (mice fuzzy as advised), but was refused but gave it to a tarantula of mine, so no food waste ;) . I am hoping when he/she is comfortable in the right temp, he/she will eat.

Will post a picture later of him/her in the new enclosure!

Thanks everyone
Substraite either aspen or sand,

I know some people use sand and it can be a touchy subject as some people who have kept there sand boa on sand have had no issues where as some others have had issues with it,

It's up to you at the end of the day if you choose to use sand then get the playsand that's used for kids sand boxes.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
For substrate I simply used aspen in vivs.
When my sandboas were babies in small rubs I used sieved bird sand (sieved to remove the bits of grit and shell).
The problem with using it in a viv, especially a 3 foot one, is weight. You need several inches of substrate to allow the snake to burrow, so imagine the weight of several inches of sand filling a 3 foot viv.
Hence why I switched to aspen. And they were quite happy in that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Substraite either aspen or sand,

I know some people use sand and it can be a touchy subject as some people who have kept there sand boa on sand have had no issues where as some others have had issues with it,

It's up to you at the end of the day if you choose to use sand then get the playsand that's used for kids sand boxes.
I have ordered ProRep Desert Red Sand 10kg, is this ok?

I also got:
Vivexotic Repti Home Viv 86cmx37.5x42cm
Reptile Systems Infrared Heat Lamp 100W
Exo Terra Thermostat 100W (says top temp settable is 35, which is what i will be setting it at, WILL THIS BE OK?)
X Large water dish Exo Terra (i know they require low humidity but wanted to give it a choice to go in the water)
Prorep Guard Standard round
ProRep Ceramic Lamp Holder With Bracket

Can any one tell me if any of this is wrong and if i need anything else.

THANK YOU.

Will post a picture once all set up.

·
Registered
(Harley / F / Calrolina) (Noodle / F / Anerythristic) (Ruby / F / Hypo Bloodred Het Amel/Anery)
59 Posts
I have ordered ProRep Desert Red Sand 10kg, is this ok?

I also got:
Vivexotic Repti Home Viv 86cmx37.5x42cm
Reptile Systems Infrared Heat Lamp 100W
Exo Terra Thermostat 100W (says top temp settable is 35, which is what i will be setting it at, WILL THIS BE OK?)
X Large water dish Exo Terra (i know they require low humidity but wanted to give it a choice to go in the water)
Prorep Guard Standard round
ProRep Ceramic Lamp Holder With Bracket

Can any one tell me if any of this is wrong and if i need anything else.

THANK YOU.

Will post a picture once all set up.
Exo Terra Thermostat 100W

This the On/Off thermostat? If so I wouldn't recommend using it with a bulb it'll burn out to quick due to being on and off all the time to keep the viv at the correct temp,

Sand will be fine obviously as Ian said the only thing is the weight but if you can support that weight then it shouldn't be an issue,

Sand Boa's like to burrow so aspen is normally the go to choice as it holds the shape of the burrow and is more lightweight than sand,

But everything else on that list looks good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Exo Terra Thermostat 100W

This the On/Off thermostat? If so I wouldn't recommend using it with a bulb it'll burn out to quick due to being on and off all the time to keep the viv at the correct temp,

Sand will be fine obviously as Ian said the only thing is the weight but if you can support that weight then it shouldn't be an issue,

Sand Boa's like to burrow so aspen is normally the go to choice as it holds the shape of the burrow and is more lightweight than sand,

But everything else on that list looks good.
What thermostat do you recommend, can you name a few for me? I will go out and buy this, i will just keep the exo terra one as a back up.

The viv will be on the ground below a shelf for my inverts so weight is not a issue.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
What thermostat do you recommend, can you name a few for me? I will go out and buy this, i will just keep the exo terra one as a back up.

The viv will be on the ground below a shelf for my inverts so weight is not a issue.

Thank you!!
I've linked a few that will work with the heating and lighting setup you've picked out,

Exo Terra Thermostat 300w Dimming/Pulse Proportional

Exo Terra Thermostat 600w with Day/ Night & Dual Recepticles

Exo Terra Thermostat 600w with Day/Night Timer

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Use aspen, not sand. You need a good 4 inches of substrate, so a 4 inch depth of sand in a 3 foot viv will be ridiculously heavy.
Also, while called sand boas, they don't live in exclusively sandy habitats.
I also found that using sand in a large viv, the sand settles and is very solid making it hard for the snake to move through it.
Having kept and bred a number of species of sand boa, I never had any issues with aspen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is no evidence that says snakes WON'T benefit but plenty of work suggesting that while not essential, behaviour is different. Colours are brighter and the animal generally more active.

OP, if you want to provide UV, go for it. It won't cause any harm, and the snake is likely to benefit from it.
When you consider their natural environment, they would be exposed to plenty of UV.
Just shipped to OP :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I love seeing a community come together to help others out,

I'm really looking forward to seeing this viv setup and you're newly found boa friend enjoying his enclosure,

I bet you never thought in a million years being scared of snakes that eventually one day you'd have one in you're home? :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Update:

Has any one got any experience using 'Reptile Centre' also known as 'Northampton Reptile Centre' ?

I ordered all the equipment from them including the viv on next day before 1pm delivery as i was desperate to get the snake comfortable.

It never arrived and i got one email back with a tracking number for 'DX' and that tracking number doesn't work.

'Reptile Centre' is not even replying to my e-mails now, would ring them but they state they do not offer phone support.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Update:

Has any one got any experience using 'Reptile Centre' also known as 'Northampton Reptile Centre' ?

I ordered all the equipment from them including the viv on next day before 1pm delivery as i was desperate to get the snake comfortable.

It never arrived and i got one email back with a tracking number for 'DX' and that tracking number doesn't work.

'Reptile Centre' is not even replying to my e-mails now, would ring them but they state they do not offer phone support.
I’ve used them a few times, can’t say I’ve had any issues using them before.
Although, I ordered some cement recently & the courier was DX, they were due to deliver on the Tuesday, cement arrived on Thursday.. they aren’t very helpful either!
When did you order it? Yesterday for delivery today?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Never had an issue with them it's where I got all my stuff for my snakes, I got a 50L box recived it with a broken lid contacted them and they have shipped a new lid out for me,

Always had a good experience with there customer service can't fault them at all.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Never heard of DX personally - maybe they need to use a different courier as their on line reviews seem to be just one star !!. I would telephone the shop. If you paid for a service and didn't received it you are within your consumer rights to have a refund for the difference between their standard delivery and the guaranteed 1pm service. They can blame the courier all they like, your contract is with them, and they have failed to honour that contract. It will be down to them to reclaim on the courier for their costs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Now that Malc has mentioned it are you sure the courier is DX? as I've never heard of them either, normally my stuff I order for next day delivery is delivered by APC Overnight and they deliver on time or before the 4pm time frame stated,

As I said I've never had an issue with them always got what I ordered most recent order I was offered a more expensive thermostat due to the one I ordered being out of stock everything showed up the following day par the box lid everything else was intact I emailed them about the box lid they couldn't apologise anymore than they did offered me the option of a full refund or a replacement lid for the box I picked the lid as I need the box they requested another one to be shipped out to me and should be here today.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Update:

Just call them!
There is a phone number on their website.
Ask to speak to the owner or manager, and explain what has happened, and what you have done so far to find your parcel.
If they try to fob you off that it's the courier at fault, politely remind them that your contract is with the shop not the courier.
It may be that there is a simple explanation, like they haven't yet sent your items for some reason.
But if you don't ask, you won't know.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Just call them!
There is a phone number on their website.
Ask to speak to the owner or manager, and explain what has happened, and what you have done so far to find your parcel.
If they try to fob you off that it's the courier at fault, politely remind them that your contract is with the shop not the courier.
It may be that there is a simple explanation, like they haven't yet sent your items for some reason.
But if you don't ask, you won't know.
Exactly... in this modern internet age people seem to forget that originally the primary function of their mobile phone was to use it to talk to other people :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hi guys.

Can someone help me set this viv up building it has been no problem. I used a hammer drill I have to drill a hole for the wire for the lamp holder. However now I am trying to screw the screws into the holder bracket with a screwdriver and just nothing happens and it feels like the screws are not gripping it. Do I need to buy a compact drill to do this? Or how is best to get screws into chipboard. I've never done this and I am terrible at DIY. Sorry ha.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 55 Posts