Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone to feed my pet corn snake only to discover she is not inside the tank, she may have been missing for a week as I was away since the last time I fed her, how can I get her back, please help I have a cat but I haven't seen my snakes dead body so hopefully they haven't found each other, is there any way to find her thank you

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
No the tank was in adjoining office on a shelf
when i was younger and had corn snakes it would end up in my sock draw ,underneath bed look in all draws and cuboards in room folders etc radiater they can get anywhere i found myne after 6 weeks fine in my sock draw. dont panic just start at one end of the room and check as best you can.: victory:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when i was younger and had corn snakes it would end up in my sock draw ,underneath bed look in all draws and cuboards in room folders etc radiater they can get anywhere i found myne after 6 weeks fine in my sock draw. dont panic just start at one end of the room and check as best you can.: victory:
Okay, going to check everything again hopefully wel find her okay in piece thank you!:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
while you were away, was the room locked/closed?

if so, with any luck, its still in there.

check the similar post that also went up recently for detailed advise, but flour method, bottle trap, and providing water are the most common pieces of advise.

also, keep the room locked down if it was locked, no point letting it get out now.

check warm places, provide a heat source where possible. mine turned up on my laptop one morning so...

most importantly, never give up looking, could be days, months or in a few cases years, but it may still show up.

Lee

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Like said, if the room your snake was in is secure and was closed for the duration you were away it should still be in the room. Look absolutely everywhere you'd be surprised how tight of a space they can and will fit in to.

If it was open you're going to have a harder time finding it but check everywhere in the house. Put flour down on the entrances of your doors and check it in the morning, if you see any markings in it you'll know it's either gone in or out of that room recently.

I've only had one escape which was my royal, he made an appearance (briefly) on one day under the toilet down a hole near the piping and 4 days after that we found him on the stairs on his way down another level, in four weeks of being out of his viv he basically made it down one flight of stairs into the nearest room at the bottom of the stairs, they won't go *too* far usually

·
Registered
436 Posts
check the warm places, my corn escaped years ago and found her in the airing cupboard

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Must really be the weekend for snake escapes!

First thing: *really* check the tank. I've thought I had a lost juvie corn more than once, but he was just really well-hidden in his substrate. Or they can tuck themselves into hides in odd positions.

Assuming a definite escape:

Think like a corn snake: what it wants is dark, close and secure like a burrow, and warm!

Most snakes who escape (my estimation from anecdote and experience) are found in the room in which they escaped. The vast majority of snakes who escape and are recaptured are found in the house. I don't know that anyone's ever tried to collect figures, but it seems to me as if most people who lose snakes do find them again. In fact, I've heard it said that you're not really a corn snake owner until you've lost and recaptured the little creeper at least once.

1. Put down water dishes throughout the house. The biggest danger to in-house escapees is usually dehydration (although unfortunately a cat is very well up there. But if you haven't found a dead snake, then the odds are your cat hasn't killed it yet - cats tend to be prey-displayers for what they don't altogether devour).

2. Search everything in that room, and I mean *everything*, square inch by square inch. Including the stuff in the dustbin - empty cans, matchboxes, whatever. I found my juvie rat snake today in an empty Nurofen box that had fallen under a piece of furniture - about three feet from point of escape. If the snake is not in that room, continue the search in the next room, and the next and the next. They are particular buggers for getting under or behind refrigerators and other appliances. It can get into holes you wouldn't think it could get into, and it can coil up smaller than you'd ever believe it could coil up, even when you've seen it.
This is probably the way most snakes are actively found (as opposed to the "I just opened the drawer and there he was" type of finding).

One way that may help determine if the snake is in a given room: lay a layer of flour around the walls, under raised furniture or around the bottom edges of furniture closer to the floor, etc. Leave the room and turn off the light. If the snake is in the room and has moved around, you should see trails in the morning.

Another common alternative is the "sound trap". Crinkle newspapers or something else real noisy; set them around the walls and under or around furniture. Turn the light off and sit in the room with a torch in your hand. If the snake is there, hopefully it will come out and start cruising around; if it does, you will hear it and can then turn the torch on and (hopefully) snag it.
Downside: involves sitting in a dark room all night with nothing to do but listen for your snake.

3. Try a bottle trap. Basically, you cut the top off a 2-litre plastic bottle, punch some airholes in the bottom of the bottle, take a brained f/t pinky (or fuzzy or whatever) and leave a scent trail leading to your trap, put the pinky in the bottom of the bottle, invert the top (so the top of the opening is pointing towards the bottom of the bottle) and tape it back on in that position. The theory is that the snake will go in after the pinky and have trouble figuring out how to get back out, or will just curl up in a food coma. Some elaborations I have seen are: cut off part of the cap (leaving enough to screw on) to make a hole big enough for a hungry snake to get into, but not big enough for a fed snake to get out of; and tape some plastic strips so they point inwards down the opening - the snake can easily push them aside to get in, but can't get back out through them. Warning: the prey item must be removed within 24 hours - corn snakes are not rotten carrion fans, and neither will you be when you smell it.

4. If you have heat control for that room, turn the heat down and set out a heat mat under a layer of substrate or such, with a hide on top of it, in the darkest area you can find (under something if possible). If you did the bottle trap, put it next to the heat mat.

5. If you haven't found your snake in a month, or three months, don't panic. Corn snakes are notorious for going walkabout for even six months or a year before their rediscovery - some of them have spent that time outdoors, as they are well adapted to the climate here. You can, however, think of it as an excuse to get a second snake without actually admitting to any s.o. or parents that the expectation is pretty decent to eventually find snake #1 and end up with 2 snakes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
my corn snake went missing for 7 weeks, we did find snake poo under the tumble dryer whilst looking for him so looked like he was living there for a while cause it was usually warm there. my mother found it in the bath tub as she was running the water. it will show up ! we had 3 cats at the time and it avoided them. have faith !

·
Registered
201 Posts
our corn does it pretty regular she like Houdini,so the naming her nemo fitted "finding nemo" she usually turns up behind the false fire but has been found behind the dryer in shoes even tho we have emptied the room and didn't find her she turned up in a the sock draw bit scary pulling a snake out when you want a sock lol the cat told us she was there (as it was the cat that let her out) cats and sliding viv doors don't mix lol good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
My baby girl got out Thursday morning. We have tipped the whole house upside down. Done every trick I've read about still nothing. Is it possible she has got outside via a hole in wall by boiler. She is only 4 months old so worried mummy now

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Is it possible she has got outside via a hole in wall
Possible, yes ...

If you read previous posts some people have found the snake behind its enclosure, other after a couple of days by setting up heat pads etc, or using talc as a means to tracking any movements. It could have got out of the house through any gaps, and as its cold at night it would become more lethargic and would naturally seek warmth. Sometimes pulling the place apart makes the snake shelter more as it detects the disturbance.... As to where it is, that's anyone's guess

The question is how did it get out in the first place?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possible, yes ...

If you read previous posts some people have found the snake behind its enclosure, other after a couple of days by setting up heat pads etc, or using talc as a means to tracking any movements. It could have got out of the house through any gaps, and as its cold at night it would become more lethargic and would naturally seek warmth. Sometimes pulling the place apart makes the snake shelter more as it detects the disturbance.... As to where it is, that's anyone's guess

The question is how did it get out in the first place?
She was in a monkfield viv and the bit when the wires go for the temp gauges she has pushed on the end that much its popped out and with her only being a baby she has managed to get through within the space of 2 hours of me seeing her and hubby going to work

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
If she's that small to get through the gap as described then she could be anywhere, especially if your house is of a certain age where gaps exist where pipes run etc. There's not much that can be done other than place a pinkie out in a bottle trap (google bottle trap for snake) and hopefully if she is still in the room, she'll come out looking for the food.

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
check the warm places, my corn escaped years ago and found her in the airing cupboard

This ^^^ as they are most concerned about heat I’d say at this time of the year in the uk .

They are heat seekers ..maybe check around the PC base , monitor/ printer. ... extension leads ..

I got one back recently simply by lying a plastic tank on its side and put a tiny 7w heat mat underneath it ... also a tiny bowl of fresh water each day ... I found it about 2 weeks later fast asleep in the tank above the heat mat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts