Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

I recently puchased a beardie (not sure as to the sex yet) who's named Elvis.

Evils is around about the 3months mark and ive had him/her for just over a month now.

In the last few days however Elvis has been acting a little strange. There has been a decline in whats being eaten which is a little worrying due to the fact that he/she is only a juvie.

Every time I let him/her have a little run around outside the tank going to sleep is all it seems to want to do.

When in the tank its basking for most of the day then goes off and tries to bury itself to go to sleeps.

I did some checking and apparently hibernating is something that beardies do but not till they are usually about 12months, so im under the impression that my lil 3month old isnt doing that.

As for foods Elvis is being fed crickets and wax worms usually 3 times a day. Bowl is either filled with some greens or water and there is always a fresh pot of cress put in as this seems to be a fancy of his/hers.

I try to bathe Elvis at least once a week and spray him daily as well as the greens, his basking log and the fake plant thingy thats in there which Elvis likes to sometimes climb.

As for the set up I will try and get some pics up soon but heres some basics:

3ft Tank
Repti-Glow 10.0 UV
100W Bulb
Fake Plant
Heated Rock
Basking Log
Log Hide Away
Wood Chippings On Bottom Of Tank

The thermometer is situated in the middle of the tank. And reads a 85F, at the baskign area its a lot warmer(did check it when we first set it up and it was over 100F, but since then the thermo has been stuck on the tank)

Any help would be much appreciated. I dont wonna take Elvis to the vets unless necessary as im worried that they might do more harm than good, however if needs be I will most definately take him/her.

PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Howdy

I recently puchased a beardie (not sure as to the sex yet) who's named Elvis.

Evils is around about the 3months mark and ive had him/her for just over a month now.

In the last few days however Elvis has been acting a little strange. There has been a decline in whats being eaten which is a little worrying due to the fact that he/she is only a juvie.

Every time I let him/her have a little run around outside the tank going to sleep is all it seems to want to do.

When in the tank its basking for most of the day then goes off and tries to bury itself to go to sleeps.

I did some checking and apparently hibernating is something that beardies do but not till they are usually about 12months, so im under the impression that my lil 3month old isnt doing that.

As for foods Elvis is being fed crickets and wax worms usually 3 times a day. Bowl is either filled with some greens or water and there is always a fresh pot of cress put in as this seems to be a fancy of his/hers.

I try to bathe Elvis at least once a week and spray him daily as well as the greens, his basking log and the fake plant thingy thats in there which Elvis likes to sometimes climb.

As for the set up I will try and get some pics up soon but heres some basics:

3ft Tank
Repti-Glow 10.0 UV
100W Bulb
Fake Plant
Heated Rock
Basking Log
Log Hide Away
Wood Chippings On Bottom Of Tank

The thermometer is situated in the middle of the tank. And reads a 85F, at the baskign area its a lot warmer(did check it when we first set it up and it was over 100F, but since then the thermo has been stuck on the tank)

Any help would be much appreciated. I dont wonna take Elvis to the vets unless necessary as im worried that they might do more harm than good, however if needs be I will most definately take him/her.

PLEASE HELP!
Ok first things first.. Wood chippings for a baby/juvie beardie is not good. The risk of impaction is greatly increased by having this as a substrate. I would take it out and put the beardie onto either newspaper, kitchen roll or lino for now.

Two other things that are a bit of an issue is the heated rock and the hide. I would take out the heated rock for sure.. Beardies feel heat from above and can burn themselves on things like that because they dont realise they are getting too hot. The hide beardies tend to get over possesive about them, really they dont need them just provide plenty of wood and rocks.

Wax worms should be fed as a treat once week at most. Make sure your basking temp is at least 105 but perferrabley higher at 110.

He/she could just be going into shed but the sleeping thing worrys me a bit it is another sign of impaction.

If you need to ask anything else please dont hesitate to pm me.

Liz

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
as said above hun get rid of the wood chip very risky for a juvi and its not worth it,i use lino but you could just use newspaper if you wanted,as for your setup what are your temps like,do you have a stat ,i would also get rid of the heat rock they cause burns hun and i dont use hides for babys either as they tend to stay under them all the time and then dont get the much needed uv:flrt:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firstly thanks very much for the speedy replies.

The chippings are about to be removed, the man in the store said they would do :(

As for the log hide Elvis doesnt really use it till bed time. Most days Elvis is out under the heat lamp.

Ive also turned off the heat rock.

Does anyone know where I can find an accurate growth chart? And also any other signs of impaction?

This evening Elvis ate some crickets this morning and then a few more this evening. Wasnt interested when I tried to feed him this after noon. Also there was fresh poop if thats any help?

I also have this Reptix Vital vitamin powder. Which I use once a week.

·
Registered
238 Posts
same as above,get rid of wood chips. my local reptile shop said i should use these. i would use kithen roll or newspaper for babies. i use sand but i would use that when they are at least 12months old. wax worms are very fatty, only be given as a treat once or at the most twice a week. i would get a digital thermometer so you can an accurate reading of the basking temp and the cool end.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't spray too much as they don't want high humidity. Feeding twice a day is ample for that age. Get the basking temp asap as he needs the heat to digest, especially if 3 times a day.

Get looking through the care sheets on here. Given me a good source of info, although some mixed views you will get the idea.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
If he is pooing that is a good sign.. Growth charts I have never really seen but, if you keep a record of his length and weight like every month that should help you see what he/she is doing.

I would bathe rather than spray as spraying ups the humidity in the viv and that can cause problems like RI's

Liz

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Firstly thanks very much for the speedy replies.

The chippings are about to be removed, the man in the store said they would do :(

As for the log hide Elvis doesnt really use it till bed time. Most days Elvis is out under the heat lamp.

Ive also turned off the heat rock.

Does anyone know where I can find an accurate growth chart? And also any other signs of impaction?

This evening Elvis ate some crickets this morning and then a few more this evening. Wasnt interested when I tried to feed him this after noon. Also there was fresh poop if thats any help?

I also have this Reptix Vital vitamin powder. Which I use once a week.
as long as he is eating then i wouldnt worry to much............the vitamin powder....normal dusting is using a calcum powder 3 times a week then a vitimin powder once a week...........can i ask are you gut loading his crickets ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as long as he is eating then i wouldnt worry to much............the vitamin powder....normal dusting is using a calcum powder 3 times a week then a vitimin powder once a week...........can i ask are you gut loading his crickets ?
Not gut loading the crickets yet. I was looking at the cricket feed the other day in the shop.I was told that its just as good to put in some veg with some crickets and let them have a nibble on that?

When I separate some crickets for feeding into a bag I have put some veg in with them and left them for a while before feeding Elvis. Is this ok? Or have I once again been given poor information at the shop?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
yeh hun just gut load with a selection of veg thats what i use,glad your getting the chippings out a poo is a good sign just keep and eye out for now hun if it seems like hes not pooing a warm soak in the sink normally does the trick,also glad to hear about the heat rock they can badly burn your baby,few more tips fpr you dont leave the crickets in the viv they will nip at your boy,i learnt this the hard way and one of my boys has a missing toe:flrt: i use a cup to feed mine hun it works for me i put the vits in the cup and then the crickets shake with my hand on,and then tilt the cup near the beardie so as it comes out of the cup the beardie takes it this is a good way as you dont get them in the viv mine never miss one near the edge of the cup as they are older and know how it works doesnt take long for them to figure it out.what are your temps hun this could be why hes not eating whats your basking spot,ambient and cool end:flrt:

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Has anything changed that could have caused this? Cage temperatures / lighting or something new in the room? What type of "tank" is he in - a wooden vivarium or a glass tank? Glass tanks can sometimes cause this if you don't cover the sides up - the beardie can feel a bit exposed and can often see the reflection of another beardie in the glass. How heavy is he?

I'd be tempted to stop handling him and getting him out until this is sorted - if he's just having a bit of a confidence crisis then he needs to be left alone to get him feeling a bit more safe and secure in his cage. You could also try switching to a different type of livefood (try locusts, roaches or a different colour of cricket) - sometimes a change will encourage them to eat more. I'd stop with the waxworms entirely until you've got this sorted out as well - the last thing you need is him deliberately not eating crickets (which are good for him) on the off chance that he'll get waxworms (or mealworms) later.

If he's basking all day it's possible that the cage is a little cool for him - what sort of colour is he when he's basking? Dark? You could try using a rock that's an inch or two taller to make his basking spot a bit higher and hotter. You could also try getting a reflector for the UV light (around £5-10) - they usually increase the UV intensity by around 80%. Although it's unlikely to be the cause of this, more intense UV will often make dragons more active and it could help him.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Elvis lives in a wooden viv with sliding glass doors. The log thats in the viv sits directly under the bulb.

The log is shapped like a V with one arm/branch longer then the other. Its set so that the one arm is reaching towards the bulb and the other rests at the bottom of the viv so theres a somewhat shaded bit in the middle(a lot easier to look at than to explain)

Elvis will either be basking either on the arm (mostly first thing in the morning) or in the shaded area.

Will get another thermo to check the temp and also look for a reflector. As for colour he goes more golden than dark.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts