Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

I recently puchased a beardie (not sure as to the sex yet) who's named Elvis.

Evils is around about the 3months mark and ive had him/her for just over a month now.

In the last few days however Elvis has been acting a little strange. There has been a decline in whats being eaten which is a little worrying due to the fact that he/she is only a juvie.

Every time I let him/her have a little run around outside the tank going to sleep is all it seems to want to do.

When in the tank its basking for most of the day then goes off and tries to bury itself to go to sleeps.

I did some checking and apparently hibernating is something that beardies do but not till they are usually about 12months, so im under the impression that my lil 3month old isnt doing that.

As for foods Elvis is being fed crickets and wax worms usually 3 times a day. Bowl is either filled with some greens or water and there is always a fresh pot of cress put in as this seems to be a fancy of his/hers.

I try to bathe Elvis at least once a week and spray him daily as well as the greens, his basking log and the fake plant thingy thats in there which Elvis likes to sometimes climb.

As for the set up I will try and get some pics up soon but heres some basics:

3ft Tank
Repti-Glow 10.0 UV
100W Bulb
Fake Plant
Heated Rock
Basking Log
Log Hide Away
Wood Chippings On Bottom Of Tank

The thermometer is situated in the middle of the tank. And reads a 85F, at the baskign area its a lot warmer(did check it when we first set it up and it was over 100F, but since then the thermo has been stuck on the tank)

Any help would be much appreciated. I dont wonna take Elvis to the vets unless necessary as im worried that they might do more harm than good, however if needs be I will most definately take him/her.

PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firstly thanks very much for the speedy replies.

The chippings are about to be removed, the man in the store said they would do :(

As for the log hide Elvis doesnt really use it till bed time. Most days Elvis is out under the heat lamp.

Ive also turned off the heat rock.

Does anyone know where I can find an accurate growth chart? And also any other signs of impaction?

This evening Elvis ate some crickets this morning and then a few more this evening. Wasnt interested when I tried to feed him this after noon. Also there was fresh poop if thats any help?

I also have this Reptix Vital vitamin powder. Which I use once a week.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as long as he is eating then i wouldnt worry to much............the vitamin powder....normal dusting is using a calcum powder 3 times a week then a vitimin powder once a week...........can i ask are you gut loading his crickets ?
Not gut loading the crickets yet. I was looking at the cricket feed the other day in the shop.I was told that its just as good to put in some veg with some crickets and let them have a nibble on that?

When I separate some crickets for feeding into a bag I have put some veg in with them and left them for a while before feeding Elvis. Is this ok? Or have I once again been given poor information at the shop?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Elvis lives in a wooden viv with sliding glass doors. The log thats in the viv sits directly under the bulb.

The log is shapped like a V with one arm/branch longer then the other. Its set so that the one arm is reaching towards the bulb and the other rests at the bottom of the viv so theres a somewhat shaded bit in the middle(a lot easier to look at than to explain)

Elvis will either be basking either on the arm (mostly first thing in the morning) or in the shaded area.

Will get another thermo to check the temp and also look for a reflector. As for colour he goes more golden than dark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.