Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i'm in the process of setting up a 3ft tank for a yellow bellied slider, i've got all the bits ie filter, heater, basking ramp etc but i'm at a loss to what lights i need. i've been doing some research but now have info overload and back to square 1.

can anyone tell me what lights i need, as in specifically? the tank has got 2 strip lights along the center, can i use them or do i need to disregard them and buy 2 other separate ubv/a ones, please help i cant get the turtle till i have the light sorted!!!

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
You'll need to provide UV- so it's worth replacing at least one of the tubes with a 10% UVB one- Reptiglo is a commonly-available brand. You'll also need a basking light of some sort- a 60w spotlight, directed on to the land area would do it, unless you want to shell out for a combined bulb- but they cost. Current wisdom on here is to use clamps to hold the lights, and do away with the hood completely, maybe replacing it with a mesh top, as too much humidity in the airspace can cause problems. Hope that helps a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Ok, you say the tank has two strip lights, which tells me you have a lid on the tank?

You need to take the lid off... having the lid on will cause too much humidity in the tank which can lead to respiratory problems for the turtle.

You need to provide UVB light (10% strength) and a light that gives off heat -this can be a normal household bulb) Both of these are to be positioned over the basking area.

Alternatively you can use an MVB (Mercury Vapour Bulb) - these provide the correct level of UVB and also heat. They are more costly to purchase than the above option, but in the long run are more cost effective.

The lights can be attached to the tank, using 'clamp lamps' or by suspending them above the tank using a 'lamp stand' (Zoomed make these)

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
I wouldn't call myself and expert Ron... I still get things wrong, ask advice and have lots to learn too.. but thanks for the vote of confidence! :blush:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts