Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke this morning and to my utter dismay my royal had opened his viv and consequently has gone missing.. He is 11months old and doesnt know the layout of the house ..I am distraught..
He was up and active with me for 5 hours before i put him in his viv at 2 a.m this morn.. usually he just retires after being up
I have been searching all morning... had all the appliances out in the kitchen.. unfortunately there are several places he cuold have gotten into the wooden enclosusures running around the radiator pipes...
Any ideas on places he may be or how to entice him out would be really really appreciated..also has anyone lost a royal or any snake before and found them again??
I have had seveal beautiful snake friends over many years now and have never lost one before :-(
Also yes i know i was irreponsible and stupid for not puuting the wedge between the glass doors to stop them sliding open so easily...
BIG Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
put flour around the edges of the rooms and then you'll know if he moves from one room to another. sick a heat mat and hide on the floor and keep checking it now and then. could also try leaving a rat in a plastic bottle, he'll get in but not be able to squeeze back out and then you can just cut the plastic bottle open and pop him back in his viv.
hope you find the wee man. x

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
In my experience they don't go far (at all) If mine have ever got outta the rack they've nestled in the space behind the next tub down! I'd start looking close by the viv personally!

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
My royal has got out twice in the 4 years I've had her, once she managed to pull (not push) one of the air vents out of her viv, and the other time I forgot to lock the viv and she slid the door open and got out that way.
On both occasions she hadn't gone far, one time she was curled up under the sofa and the other time she was down behind one of the sofa cushions. They will look for somewhere snug and dark.
Hope you find him soon!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Check behind the viv and work outwards from there they don't tend to go far.

I found my most recent escapee in a shoe under my bed :lol2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Much thanks to all

Check behind the viv and work outwards from there they don't tend to go far.

I found my most recent escapee in a shoe under my bed :lol2:
Really appreciated all your responses they are very reassuring.. I will try all the suggestions accompanied by prayers and trust i will find him x

·
Registered
302 Posts
One of mine escaped one night, so I tore the room apart and couldn't find him. In the end he was under my gargs exoterra about 2ft away from his rub :gasp:

Look in every small gap, its amazing where they can fit into

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Look in every small gap, its amazing where they can fit into
this. they really do love small spaces. I mean a lot of people say theres not enough room in a rub for an adult royal, yet mine escape and promptly find the ONLY smaller space in the whole room than their usual hides and just sit there. Theres really not much space BEHIND an ikea komplement tub when its in place but thats where they go lol.

its not like u find them sprawled out in the middle of the floor having a stretch!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Lots of good suggestions already posted. One thing I'd like to add, is that having a snake out for 5 hours is a little too long in my opinion. Snakes don't 'enjoy' handling, they simply tolerate it.

I'm not saying you should handle it or get him out, just that it should be for a shorter time. Maybe an hour or so at most.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Don't worry, the vast majority of folk who lose their snakes find them again. Sometimes it takes a while (like, literally a year or two), but that's rare. The odds are extremely high that (1) you'll find your baby, and (2) your baby has not gone far.

Be sure to put down water in every room he could get into; the greatest danger to a lost snake in the house is dehydration. Put it by a wall, as they tend to stick close to walls.

Fine-tooth-comb the room, square inch by square inch: you'd be amazed what they can get into, up on, and behind (people have been known to suddenly come eyeball-to-eyeball with their snakes while opening the closet - or the curtains - or the toaster)! Your snake has almost certainly found a comfy dark place and settled in. As I often remind people with lost snakes - don't forget to check the rubbish inch-by-inch; trash to you often = penthouse apartment to snake (I found my most recent escapee curled up in an empty Nurofen box, which was one of his favourite hides thereafter until he outgrew it. Looked awful in the viv, but it made the snake happy). Particularly with a relatively quiet and not notoriously greedy species, a good total search is your best bet. And, as folk have already noted here, most snakes don't even leave the room once they've gotten out of the viv - though it would be good to check possible exits and trace them if you don't find the snake in the room after a full search.

Google "bottle trap". There are a few variants, but they pretty much all consist of cutting the top off a plastic bottle, putting a prey item (brained, and maybe even use it to leave a helpful scent trail leading to the trap) in it, and taping the top back upside down to form a funnel so the snake can easily get in, but not back out. However, this is really going to be a lot more effective for an avid feeder.

If the room has a heater or radiator, put a hide by it, as snakes like warm.

Very best of luck, hope you find the little critter soon!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
missimg baby found!!!

Don't worry, the vast majority of folk who lose their snakes find them again. Sometimes it takes a while (like, literally a year or two), but that's rare. The odds are extremely high that (1) you'll find your baby, and (2) your baby has not gone far.

Be sure to put down water in every room he could get into; the greatest danger to a lost snake in the house is dehydration. Put it by a wall, as they tend to stick close to walls.

Fine-tooth-comb the room, square inch by square inch: you'd be amazed what they can get into, up on, and behind (people have been known to suddenly come eyeball-to-eyeball with their snakes while opening the closet - or the curtains - or the toaster)! Your snake has almost certainly found a comfy dark place and settled in. As I often remind people with lost snakes - don't forget to check the rubbish inch-by-inch; trash to you often = penthouse apartment to snake (I found my most recent escapee curled up in an empty Nurofen box, which was one of his favourite hides thereafter until he outgrew it. Looked awful in the viv, but it made the snake happy). Particularly with a relatively quiet and not notoriously greedy species, a good total search is your best bet. And, as folk have already noted here, most snakes don't even leave the room once they've gotten out of the viv - though it would be good to check possible exits and trace them if you don't find the snake in the room after a full search.

Google "bottle trap". There are a few variants, but they pretty much all consist of cutting the top off a plastic bottle, putting a prey item (brained, and maybe even use it to leave a helpful scent trail leading to the trap) in it, and taping the top back upside down to form a funnel so the snake can easily get in, but not back out. However, this is really going to be a lot more effective for an avid feeder.

If the room has a heater or radiator, put a hide by it, as snakes like warm.

Very best of luck, hope you find the little critter soon!
I found him in the same room as his viv under a cupboard i had already moved out twice,,, he must have wedged himself in one of the corners
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge support and reassurance

snakeu and myself are :) x

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I found him in the same room as his viv under a cupboard i had already moved out twice,,, he must have wedged himself in one of the corners
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge support and reassurance

snakeu and myself are :) x
new he wouldnt have gone far ! :2thumb:

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
They (Royals) never venture far, in my experience of escapees - they made a bid for freedom, and then get a bit spooked at the open space, so find somewhere dark and cramped close to the viv, and sit tight.

I sometimes sit up in the snake room with a viv door open and let them venture out - they are often reluctant to come out, and do it in stages - 2 inches forward, 1 inch back. Its quite fun to watch really, helps get a better understand of where they head for when they do escape (usually round the back of the viv).

·
Registered
386 Posts
I love watching my corns do a runner and like Se7enS1ns I leave the viv door open for my bigger ones Misty Max and Coco and just watch them. They spend hours wandering around and sometimes even venture into the middle of the room . Max knows there is a doorway and that it goes somewhere else so he tries to push it but of course he can't so in the end he gives up and just wanders round the room for the rest of the day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts