Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my daughter leopard gecko was in a cage, with hole that a small cricket would struggle to get out.Leo Missing for 8 days then she was found, so we moved her to a cage which was smaller but had a lid, so I knew she was 1000% safe. So, after we bought her a king snake, and he was 2ft long and was quite rounded, so we looked and thought we had a cage spare made perfect sense to put him in. Now the King Snake has gone missing, She checked it 3/4 times an hour to make sure its shut, after her leo went missing. We went round friends today, and we came back and her snake was gone. As I say the glass is quite hard to open, and needs a human to open it. The holes were so small part of small cricket could fit in and thats it. Im baffled and find it eerie how this can happen. After her Gecko went missing about 4 days ago. Now her snake. Could someone please help. Where to find a King Snake. My daughter is livid, that this can happen. We put her Leo excaping from the same cage down to her not being careful after handling her and forgetting to shut it. But we have all been super cautios, once handled triple check cage.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
They can get through tiny spaces, they can dislodge most their bones in their head, to squeeeze through gaps.

The chances are, the snake will be near the vivarium (cage), so look around, under stuff. Build a trap (in the sticky section).

Good luck

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
King snakes are really the best escape artists in the world, I caught one of mine squeezing through the 3 mm gap between the viv glass doors once.

have a very good through search for it, in and around the room the viv is in also build a trap or three (ive found that water rather than baited work best)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
King snakes are really the best escape artists in the world, I caught one of mine squeezing through the 3 mm gap between the viv glass doors once.

have a very good through search for it, in and around the room the viv is in also build a trap or three (ive found that water rather than baited work best)
But what I found strange, my daughters Leo get out aswell and she couldnt of got through the tiny gap. Thanks for yours and everyones help.

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
But what I found strange, my daughters Leo get out aswell and she couldnt of got through the tiny gap. Thanks for yours and everyones help.
the logical answer would be that there is a gap or hole that you haven't found yet. Or you were right about the leo escaping due to your daughter not shutting viv properly and the snake fitted through the hole.

The chances are it will have gone for the first dark and/or warm place it could find.

·
Banned
472 Posts
make sure you shut the door to what ever room its in so you know its in that room somewhere and then you can just lure out with a mouse or somthing

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Lots of hope, snakes generally turn up after a <enter varied period of time>. Anyway, make sure you look in any hiding places round about, most likely went to the darkest and safest place it could find.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
another thing that worked for me was a heated moss box. put the moss box in a quiet corner of the room on a spare stated heat mat (if you have one) and leave it over night. Found a missing house snake that way.

·
Banned
733 Posts
if its a small snake its very unlikely that it would
have climbed to any high hiding places. its more
likely to have dropped down to the floor then
scrambled to the nearest hiding spot.
check every possible space lower down before
pulling everything apart.

if u have an idea were the snake is but ur
unable to access it or capture it then try
setting some bottle traps near to the location
or water bowls surrounded by flower to track
the snakes movements.
hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Are the viv doors sliding glass? If so use a rubber wedge to lock them. As well as locking it gives you a sanity check (at a glance) that the viv is still shut.

Good luck in finding them. As said check anywhere warm and dark. I found one of my snakes behind my wood burner and another wedged between the wall and a cabinet.....

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
i got an escaped king back using the following method.
1.brain a food item
2.put it in a hessein sack.
3.put the sack in a quiet,dark and warm place.
4.prop open about 3inch of the sack

i did this with a fresh food item every night.on the third night i heard my king and witnessed it scuttling out from under a skirting board across the floor heading for the hessein sack.ive had mates use this method and they woke up to their snake in the hessein sack quite content after its meal.wish you all the best in finding your snake mate.
cheers shaun

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hi, just had similar problem with sand boa (also a burrowing snake) found 3ft up the radiator cover (must have climbed the wooden grille) - curled up asleep in the warm. So don't just check the floor - look anywhere!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i got an escaped king back using the following method.
1.brain a food item
2.put it in a hessein sack.
3.put the sack in a quiet,dark and warm place.
4.prop open about 3inch of the sack

i did this with a fresh food item every night.on the third night i heard my king and witnessed it scuttling out from under a skirting board across the floor heading for the hessein sack.ive had mates use this method and they woke up to their snake in the hessein sack quite content after its meal.wish you all the best in finding your snake mate.
cheers shaun
Thanks, Will do that, went out brought some mice, it was due to feed today, so hopefully it should be hungry. But I cant give up.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are the viv doors sliding glass? If so use a rubber wedge to lock them. As well as locking it gives you a sanity check (at a glance) that the viv is still shut.

Good luck in finding them. As said check anywhere warm and dark. I found one of my snakes behind my wood burner and another wedged between the wall and a cabinet.....
Went out today to buy a viv lock, been meaning to do so for ages.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts