Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i got a year old jungle carpet python 4 weeks ago, the shop owner said i
To offer it food only every 2 weeks, which i have, and both times its refused. It maybe to do with my night time temps, which drop to about 15 c. I checked a care sheet and it said night temps should never drop below 25c? So last night i swapped my white light for my red light, thinking that pythons couldnt see that. I watcheD it for 10 mins, and every time the light came on (thermostat) the snake just froze and didnt move untill the light went off. Now i knew this would stress it out even more, so i ended up unplugging the thermostat and light. I have a heat mat in there on all the time, but that really doesnt do much. It could be broken but i dont know. In the day time i keep the light on all day. Should i use a ceramic? If so what wattage should i use for a 3x3x2 white vivarium? Or infrared or what should i do?? Cheers

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
As already stated I have a 100w ceramic heat lamp in a cage in my carpets viv temps are at 85 to 90 f prity much all the time and 80 or less at cold end I wouldn't use the coloured lamps personally but that's just me :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Did the shop have it on nighttime temp drops - if so what temperature did it drop to? If it's too cold and the snake doesn't think it will be able to digest its food it may not eat. Also is it a male? My male has not eaten since October. Last winter he did the same thing (was about a year and a half then). I offer smaller food maybe once every 4-6weeks (which can be eaten by another snake if he refuses). Males are a bit preoccupied over winter breeding season and nighttime drops means it knows that it is winter.

If the ceramic is on a thermostat it won't matter how strong it is, I use a 100W on a 4x2x2 so 150W would definitely be able to get you the temps and you might get away with a 100W if you are worried.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Okay so can pythons see red lights?!! Is it necessary to get a ceramic for night time? Is 15c to low??
there has been a few debates about the red lights some say they can see it some say they can't but if snake is freezing every time it comes on it must be bugging him!im not sure about catpet pythons but I wouldn't let my royals temp drop below 26 cold end my ceramic is on a pulse stat and left on 24/7

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yes 15c is far to cold !! It's only a year old I would feed it on medium mice if u can get temps up get a ceramic heat lamp and a uv fluorescent lamp for lighting that's Wat I have and my carpets eat like pigs :) hope this helps mate :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did the shop have it on nighttime temp drops - if so what temperature did it drop to? If it's too cold and the snake doesn't think it will be able to digest its food it may not eat. Also is it a male? My male has not eaten since October. Last winter he did the same thing (was about a year and a half then). I offer smaller food maybe once every 4-6weeks (which can be eaten by another snake if he refuses). Males are a bit preoccupied over winter breeding season and nighttime drops means it knows that it is winter.

If the ceramic is on a thermostat it won't matter how strong it is, I use a 100W on a 4x2x2 so 150W would definitely be able to get you the temps and you might get away with a 100W if you are worried.
Cheers answered all my worries. The snake ate a day before i got it, and i dont know the sex. The shop had it on nightime drops but nothing below 25c i think, and its only a yearling so breeding is unlikely

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Okay so can pythons see red lights?!! Is it necessary to get a ceramic for night time? Is 15c to low??
Hi,

First of all it's infrared you are thinking of (a normal red coloured light they can definitely see).

I was told years ago they couldn't see infrared but after maybe a year of using them I believed they could see them (lots of observation!)

So I switched to ceramics

100 watt should be ok but if your room is cold you may find the ambient temperature of the viv is not warm enough

Plus by your post it seems you have a pulse or on/off stat if the light was going on and off? So you really need a ceramic with those just to stop the epileptic disco!!

15c is way to low, that's almost winter brumation temps for some species!!

Ideally for a jungle carpet, your temps should be as follows:

Hot spot: 30-32c or 88-90f
Ambient: 26c or 80f
Cool end: 23c or 75f

I am thinking you may be turning your heat off at night?

Personally, I think until your more experienced and understand more about the snakes 'internal clock' (maybe buy and read mike swanns carpet book) I would leave the heat on constantly

The heatmat you've or in there won't be warming the air so I doubt your snake will eat until you get your heating sorted properly

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I totally agree with the above post get rid of all red lights and Wat not just a ceramic heat lamp and a fluorescent lamp that's all u need get ur temps up ASAP and unwill see a dramatic improvement in feeding feed it once a week small mice once every two weeks medium mice :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Cheers answered all my worries. The snake ate a day before i got it, and i dont know the sex. The shop had it on nightime drops but nothing below 25c i think, and its only a yearling so breeding is unlikely
No problem. Mine was only a yearling and about 150g for his first winter with me and he still went off his food.

Shops sometimes keep snakes on 'maintenance diets' which allow them to grow really slowly (so they don't outgrow their vivs) so once he has fed a few times with you I would up his food size. My yearling boy was ~100g when I got him and like yours on small mice. This year I got 2 from a breeder, at 7months they are now 250g (mice only) & 350g (rats) so I can really see how little food the original shop bought snake must have been fed!

Once you have a ceramic set up you don't need to turn the heat off at night. You can sort that out once it's started eating consistently if you do want to reduce night time temperatures.

Good luck with it and great choice in snake :2thumb:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No problem. Mine was only a yearling and about 150g for his first winter with me and he still went off his food.

. This year I got 2 from a breeder, at 7months they are now 250g (mice only) & 350g (rats) so I can really see how little food the original shop bought snake must have been fed!
So my yearlin is 110g, is it gonna be a midget 4 foot python?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Not if u feed him :)
This ^^^
One of mine I got from a pet shop had not been fed all that much and was about 110g when I got her and she was about a year old. She was also a bit picky eating when I first got her but now no problems and she is putting the weight on well by the looks of her (not weighed her for ages so not sure what she weighs now)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts