Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one collard lizard she is about 10 months old but recently she has been poking her head out of her hide and opening her mouth and just liyng there. she is in a 3 foot viv hot end around 100c and cold end around 85-90c. i was just wondering if this is something i should be worying about. Any help would be grateful thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Collareds require very large, very hot enclosures. A strong temperature gradient is essential for this rocky desert species, with a place for hot basking and a place for cooling off. You should provide higher basking areas, thus creating a vertical and horizontal gradient. Daytime 75-90, Basking 95-104; Nighttime 70-85.

A substrate of gravel and rocks will suit them. As they tend to the nervous side, hiding places are a must at different places along the gradient. (Note: tails can be drop though it generally takes a hard tug for them to do so.)

UVB-producing fluorescent lights are essential for calcium metabolism in addition to the incandescent lighting used to provide heat
in other words stop cooking our lizard hope i helped you

ps the mouth is open becuase its panting just like youd be in that heat lol
sometimes reptiles have very similar traits to ourselves

also add a moist hide this can be created by getting any exo terra hut and just packing the top with damep kitchen roll or using an ice cream or tupaware container

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the help the things that you have said are very similar to the set up i gave only he has carpet on the floor to reduce risk of impaction i will change to sand to or another more suitable substrate.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Hey Liam, your temps are fine. Personally with ALL my collareds I use a 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5 viv, I use a 75w day glow bulb at one end of the tank, with a basking rock directly underneath, sand substrate, and plenty of climbing and hiding spaces in one end of the tank. They run around a heck of a lot so I try to pile their climbing apparatus safely at the back of the tank, and leave the front open so they can race around without any hassle.

My thermostat probe at the cool end is set to 88 degrees in the day, and off altogether at night. This leaves me with a basking spot of about 105 degrees which is perfect. If you arent sure just pop a temp gauge, pref electronic under the basking light for a little while when it's on.

You might be interested to know that I rarely see my collareds "Gaping" except for one little female Elvis, who does it ALL the time, she's sub-adult pretty much like yours so I wouldnt worry.

Only thing to be mindful of is that there have been a high number of infections in Collareds this year in the UK and overseas, from what we understand it is predominantly respiratory infections. This can be caused by damp, hence personally I would never use damp hides for a collared, they simply don't require it. In a lay box, yes, but not as a regular fixture.

I would also stick to sand substrate (NOT calci-sand), I have a female that likes to eat gravel.

Going back to the respiratory infections, when this was the case most tipped their heads back to open their airways, and a popping sound could sometimes be heard when they were breathing, I'm sure you'll be fine but just thought I'd make you aware on the off chance. If this is something she is / comes to do take her to the vet ASAP.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you very much i am considering buying a 4 foot tank of e-bay for her as i am hopefully getting a male soon. i was wonderin if collards need more length or height for theyr vivs?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Definitely floor space, they like to climb but are not an arboreal species they definitely spend more time on the floor

You might be hard pressed to find collareds this time of year as they hibernate in the wild (most on the UK market if not all at present are WC) but if I havent got babies in the spring I prob know a man that has, lol.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
PS: I dont understand the following ????

hiding places are a must at different places along the gradient. (Note: tails can be drop though it generally takes a hard tug for them to do so.)

UVB-producing fluorescent lights are essential for calcium metabolism in addition to the incandescent lighting used to provide heat
in other words stop cooking our lizard hope i helped you

It's prob my blond features but where did the bit about the tail come from, and who's cookin your lizard? Lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts