Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is my tank hot enough?If(though most likely when!) I egt a conr, im not sure whether the tank will be hot enough with a heta mat the temp at the mo is:14c and 58f my GALS's tank is 19c and 66f with a heatmat not on a thermostat. will it be warm enough with a heatmat?
sorry about all the questions.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Temps. should be about 30C in the hot side and about 26 on the cold, i think you'd be best with getting a bulb too with the heat mat and definatly get a thermostat.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
well how bigs the tank, dont think you would need a bulb just yet. heat mat will be warm enough, if it gets to cold for the snake he/she'll just go on the heat mat side.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also whats the easiest and cheapest way to give heat if heamats wont raise the temp enough btw i will have a thermostat and e thermometer.

·
Registered
324 Posts
just normal bulbs... It's what i use. I have never used ceramic heater, they're meant to be super effective and economical to run but a bit expencive to buy as opposed to the 60 watt bulb you buy i tesco (as i do!)

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
If that's an exoterra faunarium you are using, you could set up a desk lamp with a red bulb above the vented lid, shinning into the tank, put this on a thermostat with the probe inside the tank.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if your house is warm to begin with then a heat mat will do the job fine.. where are you measuring the temperature? remember the corn will be sat over the mat, so the temp reading needs to be on the floor over the mat

if its not getting abouve 66f for a surface temperature, then your mat maybe faulty, the mats i have here, the surface temps get up to about 110f

N

G

·
The other way to bump up the temps if they will not reach the required is to cover some of the faunarium vents of so that the heat does not distribute straight out of the vents.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Greenphase said:
The other way to bump up the temps if they will not reach the required is to cover some of the faunarium vents of so that the heat does not distribute straight out of the vents.
Yep, I gotta a towel over mine.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its actually 15c! my snail tank(61x30x30cm) the temp at the mo is 35c right on the heamat (there would be glass imbetween though on the corns tank) I suppose it would be the samish in a faunarium next to the heatmat,but it is qite huumid in the tank so i dont know... but are there any 'extra strength' heatmats as i dont wna tit to be too cold... how do you set up the lamp, if there were wires in it wouldnt the sanke just escape?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I poke the probe between the vent in the lid by bending 2 of the bars out of the way. It does create a little gap, which is fine for my BRB, but may be too big for a small corn - if you are in any doubt, don't do it, not worth risking an escape.

If you set a lamp up outside the tank, so may be able to do without a thermostat by keeping a close eye on the temp with a thermometer, and adjusting the distance the light is from the tank until you get the right distance to get the required temp.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but what type of lamp ive heard people say that direct light is bad for corns all the time? anyway when i get the set upou set up, ill see what the temp is with the heatmat cos i wont get a snkaae till im sure evrythings runngn smoothly, i expect a heatmat will heat it fine, a

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BUMP! please help, if the surface temp of my heat mat is 35c isnt there a wya to get more heat out into the tank?(im talking about my snails heatmat, but they all work the same)

G

·
Hello mate.

On a faunarium i would usually use a 6x11 heatmat and situate it inside the tank along one end.Just drill o couple of holes in the faunrium and then place the cables through them for the heatmat and stat probe.Then put a little but of silicone around the cables at the hole to close them up so that your snake can not escape.Now layer you substrate oner the top of everything and you should be ok.

Hope this helps you out a little

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Miranda said:
BUMP! please help, if the surface temp of my heat mat is 35c isnt there a wya to get more heat out into the tank?(im talking about my snails heatmat, but they all work the same)
If you have the mat on the outside of the tank, try putting it inside of the tank, padding it and sticking tape over the padding so don't burn?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
If you need a 11 x 6 heatmat then let me know as I have one I no longer need and have never used (no packaging though).

You can have it for £10 inc postage.

PM me if youre interested.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hot enough

I used to keep my Corns on top of the cooker - that way if it gets too hot you could have corn on the hob for tea. :shock:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts