Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm relatively new to keeping snakes. Me and my boyfriend have had a male corn snake for nearly a year with no problems until now. Our snake has been sitting in his water bowl for long periods of time. At first we thought he had mites so we bought "Mite off" gave him one treatment of that, yet he's still sitting in the bowl. Is that to wash the dead mites off or is he just enjoying a bath?!

My second question is, our snake also seems to enjoy bashing himself against the glass door of the viv. he'll push his nose against it as if he's trying to get through it, he'll rub himself against it quite hard and will also try and get nose through the gap between the two doors. Is he wanting attention or is this him trying to go forward and getting annoyed that he cant?

As I write, our snake is lying half in his water bowel with his head in the little ledge behind his viv fast asleep :D

Hope you can help, sorry i'm a n00b :D

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
whats the temp in the viv, how big is the viv, and any pictures of the enclosure..

you might not have gotten all the mites to srat with, are you sure they are all gone..
when you have mites, the best thing is newspaper flooring, and 2 platic ice cream tubs either end, and a water bowl..
mites hide big time, and you only need to miss a few, and its all starting again...lol

whats his set-up?
Tom

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
1. did you see any mites on snake or in the water?

2. he don't want any attention. mine did the same. when he damaged sale on his head i decided to put him in much more bigger viv. he's quite placid now.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whats the temp in the viv, how big is the viv, and any pictures of the enclosure..

you might not have gotten all the mites to srat with, are you sure they are all gone..
when you have mites, the best thing is newspaper flooring, and 2 platic ice cream tubs either end, and a water bowl..
mites hide big time, and you only need to miss a few, and its all starting again...lol

whats his set-up?
Tom
The temp is 26-29 (29 by his light, 26 on the other side) the viv is about 3' long and a foot deep. its wooden outside with sliding glass doors at the front. He has a light bulb (covered by a mesh so he cant burn himself) in the ceiling on the right side. At the moment he has newspaper (always has done) and a large water bowel with 2 bits of wood in and a large stone hide so he can hide under it to be in the dark.

I saw a few 1mm grey crawlie things last week when i was clearing him up. Oh and the wood is new stuff bought yesterday and doused in our cleaner.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. did you see any mites on snake or in the water?

2. he don't want any attention. mine did the same. when he damaged sale on his head i decided to put him in much more bigger viv. he's quite placid now.
I did see one kinda 1mm grey crawlie thing on his newspaper when i went to clean him out last week, then the week before i did see one on him. so far non in the water that i can see.

And our snake is beautiful and placid, I just wonder why he seems to be so anxious to get out!!!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The temp is 26-29 (29 by his light, 26 on the other side) the viv is about 3' long and a foot deep. its wooden outside with sliding glass doors at the front. He has a light bulb (covered by a mesh so he cant burn himself) in the ceiling on the right side. At the moment he has newspaper (always has done) and a large water bowel with 2 bits of wood in and a large stone hide so he can hide under it to be in the dark.

I saw a few 1mm grey crawlie things last week when i was clearing him up. Oh and the wood is new stuff bought yesterday and doused in our cleaner.
i would say that bulb generates to much heat and light. corns are kinda shy so they don't like to feel exposed. give him another hide and change bulb to heath math.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would say that bulb generates to much heat and light. corns are kinda shy so they don't like to feel exposed. give him another hide and change bulb to heath math.
Before we had this possible "mite" outbreak he had 3 hides which gave him complete darkness and warmth. he has a heat mat but that only got his viv up to 22 which was a lil too cold.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I did see one kinda 1mm grey crawlie thing on his newspaper when i went to clean him out last week, then the week before i did see one on him. so far non in the water that i can see.

And our snake is beautiful and placid, I just wonder why he seems to be so anxious to get out!!!
i never seen mite on snake but i think they more of 'spots'. since its autumn it wound be unusual that garden insects get into viv from what i read. i think that it could be conds in viv. but might b wrong.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i never seen mite on snake but i think they more of 'spots'. since its autumn it wound be unusual that garden insects get into viv from what i read. i think that it could be conds in viv. but might b wrong.
what to explain why he seems to always want to escape? I'll suggest it to my partner.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but i will stress now, I want to know WHY he is sitting in his water bowl. the temps are 26 where he is sitting and he has NEVER done this before, but has been doing this for the last few days. Is he too hot?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Help with snakey

hiya, i used to have a ratsnake that did exactly the same as yours! id suggest a gud clean out of everything as it sounds like he is either to hot or he has mites or both.

I used a ceramic bulb for the heat for him as the heat mat was not getting the rite temps! But then he still used the water for a short time before i figured out the temps were slightly too hot!

i would also suggest trying to pack the viv out a lil bit more maybe with vines or foliage to make him feel a bit more safer. either that or handle him more he mite just wana cum out and have a play!

If you do have mites i would definitely recommend using frontline it got rid of my snakes 1st go after several failed attempts using different methods.

Good Luck and hope i may of helped

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My friend, you are a GENIUS!!! What is the ideal temperature a snake should be at? (Corn snake) We've given him a good clean out and he'll get all his toys back tomorrow once they've been "deconaminated!"

·
Registered
625 Posts
i have found from personal experiance snakes do get very stressed out when they have mites, its a bit like us getting nits it drives you nuts & you keep scratching the snake rubbing is his way of scratching.
i would say you need to do more than one treatment of mite-off to get rid of them & make sure you treat the viv aswell, it has taken me weeks to get rid of them in the past.
Try reading this it has some very helpfull tips http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snakes/32336-mite-treatments.html

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have found from personal experiance snakes do get very stressed out when they have mites, its a bit like us getting nits it drives you nuts & you keep scratching the snake rubbing is his way of scratching.
i would say you need to do more than one treatment of mite-off to get rid of them & make sure you treat the viv aswell, it has taken me weeks to get rid of them in the past.
Try reading this it has some very helpfull tips http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snakes/32336-mite-treatments.html

Hope this helps.
Yeah maybe i was panicing a bit too much. we were planning to do another treatment. By the way, your snakes look beautiful :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Light bulbs do tend to dry out the enclosure. Do you know what the humidity is inside the cage? It's possible that it is too dry in there and he is trying to hydrate himself.

Like someone else said, it could also be too hot. Cornsnakes generally do best at moderate temperatures with 23 degrees for the cool side and around 29-30 for a warm side. Do you have your heating device on a thermostat?

The other possibility is that he is simply trying to hide in the bowl. Does he have enough places to hide and feel secure? It is natural for them to probe and poke every hole to test the enclosure, but if he feels to stressed and insecure, he will most certainly look to escape.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Light bulbs do tend to dry out the enclosure. Do you know what the humidity is inside the cage? It's possible that it is too dry in there and he is trying to hydrate himself.

Like someone else said, it could also be too hot. Cornsnakes generally do best at moderate temperatures with 23 degrees for the cool side and around 29-30 for a warm side. Do you have your heating device on a thermostat?

The other possibility is that he is simply trying to hide in the bowl. Does he have enough places to hide and feel secure? It is natural for them to probe and poke every hole to test the enclosure, but if he feels to stressed and insecure, he will most certainly look to escape.

Hope this helps.
No i dont know waht the humidity is, that is a good point. its not on a thermostat, i keep an aye on the temperatures myself. and he has 3 hides so he has security. The temperatures are 26 on the cool side and 28 on the other side so i will go and buy a thermostat and a humidity reader. Thanks for your help :D

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Squaccy: I think it's important to firstly identify whether or not your snake has mites. Prolonged bathing is a sign of mites but unless you have noticed them on the animal and in the water bowl I would say he/she hasn't got mites.

One of my Royals recently had mites (about 3 weeks ago). They are quite hard to spot but they look like poppy seeds and you will see them crawling over the snake, commonly by the eyes, mouth, and vent area. As you're snake is bathing you would also see loads of little poppy seeds at the bottom of the water bowl. If you haven't seen anything like this I would say your snake doesn't have mites.

I don't recall seeing any mention to humidity levels. It might be that your snake is quite de-hydrated, hence the soaking or bathing. I would recommend checking the humidity levels (ideally you should have a hygrometer in the viv all the time). If quite low (less than 50%) I would put a larger water bowl in the viv to increase the humidity.

Is the snake feeding ok?? This is normally a good indication on the snakes health and well being. If he/she is not eating it might suggest something is wrong.

Hope this helps?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shedding is also a good indicator of whether your snake has sufficient humidity. If the shed skin does not all come off in one piece (for the most part), it could be too dry.

And I agree....look closely around the eyes, mouth for mites. Look for any upraised scales with tiny black dots under them

1 - 20 of 28 Posts