Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could all you people who were snake-a-phobes or had members of their families who were snake-a-phobes , could you post to say how they/you got over their/your fear and how corn snakes are completely harmless, so dad doesnt think that i am lying.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
CORN SNAKES ARE COMPLETELY HARMLESS AND GREAT. SO DAD,GET A CORN SNAKE. sorry about caps, also they look good in a descent setup and become a nice pice of furniture. : victory:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
my girlfriend was terrified at me getting a brazilian rainbow boa,but once she had seen it close up and held it she was fine,didnt even complain when i brought home a hognose a month later:lol2:

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
my last girl friend was terrifeid of snakes, she wouldnt even look at them but when i eventually ground her down, she held my Brb and fell in love with it... she said the same thing as most people "its not slimey???" its all in the head Dad. iv had a few people convert over the years:smile:

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
My ex partner wasnt keen on snakes at all until I bought one. After a while he got used to it being around and started to find its behaviour in the viv fascinating.
Eventually he became so intrigued by them that he decided to brave picking up a small snake and was amazed by the feel of them and the way they moved.
He has never become completely smitted with the snakes but can happily watch them and even handle them on occasion.

PS something like a corn is very straightforward to keep and they have very good temperaments as a rule.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
ive known loads of people to have them and never get bitten,
Not only that its a corn snake its really not gonna do much if it does have a pop :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
get one there great harmless and amazing to wach
my corn viv is the senterpiecee of our kichen/sitting/dinning room
dan ps my dad loves them to bits snce i got her and has even bought and biult me a viv for my next snake turn around or what

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
my mum is frightened of snake's and worms.. she still won't go near worms, but she's now quite happy with the snake's.. she has handled our baby boa, 2.7kg royal (she used to help out cleaning the viv's, and she was is the biggest), and corn snake...

All of which.. completely harmless - go tell your dad! :) lol

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
my dad was scarred of snakes, but i got my first on the grounds it stayed in my room, away from him.

within a week he held him, and now he loves them all, he doesnt want me to get a boa tho, he saw a emerald yawn.

but corns are harmless, even at full size you'll be hard pressed to find one that could break the skin, and even harder pressed to find one that bites.

they are good snakes, easy to keep and a pleasure to watch.

(i dont have a corn, but i have simalar speices and sevral friends with corns)

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
corn snakes are the best beginner snake, never ever had any problems and have never been bitten, calm and good natured, my 12 year old has his own snake and iv'e brought up all my children with corns and cannot recommend them highly enough.
word of warning dad.....my husbands mum wouldn't let him have a pet she used to say when your'e older you can have what you want and believe you me he has...needless to say i have 5 children and a zoo of animals and i could'nt be any happier:no1: my kids have respect and responsibility and compassion for their animals something i feel will see them through adult life.....go on dad make your daughter smile...and trust that she is responsible enough to have researched a corn snakes care.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
My wife was totally against the idea (this was even when I had the viv, heat mat, light fitting, mat stat)

So we went to the rep shop for a gander, and she then spent half an hour cooing hello to EVERY snake in there, Pythons, Boas, Corns, Rats, Kings the works.

Now I have to tell her to stop going up to the viv whenever fluffy pokes his head out of his hide.

Visit a good rep shop it really broke the ice on her worries on snakes, oh (I'm biased but) get a corn they are so easy to care for and have such a nice demeanor.

:peace:

P.S. get the Cathy Love book if you already haven't, my missus read that loads and that helped also

·
Registered
399 Posts
Everybody in my family was scared of snakes before i got mine but after time once they knew more about i.e behaviour,temperament etc they became interested and wanted to hold them and now offer to look after them when i go on holiday : victory:.The key is understanding the animal as ignorance is the reason we fear - oooh that was deep:) .So dad let her have a snake!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
My boyfriend was scared of snakes...Wait a sec...He still is...Ooops!

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
my daughter wanted a corn snake but i was scared went to rep shop for beardie food and they had a yearling corn out he was about a year old well i touched him with one finger then a hand i ended up holding him then held a 5 foot adult and yes i ended taking the yearling home much to my daughters delight and guess what i now have six corns and want more so go on dad you cant be as bad as i was give it a go i am so glad i did

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
i am the proud owner of 5 snakes now!!! the day i got my first snake my girlfriend was none too happy(understandable)....after some encouragement she now has the confidance to take any of my snakes out and handle them and will still tell you though she dont like snakes !! but she dose have a real soft spot for them so tell your dad to read this and also to let you have one of your very own!!

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
So many people have come to my house and said 'ewww scary horrid snakes' and then by the time they've gone home they have handled a young and then an adult corn snake. Corns are cool, and so laid back. Come on,Miranda's Dad, you'll fall for them yourself I bet!

·
Registered
777 Posts
My sister used to have a Northern Pine snake that was so placid and calm that she helped quite a few people get over their fear of snakes! My boyfriend on the other hand, never quite got over it and when my 3ft Boa bit him on the knee he was convinced he was going to die LOL :lol2:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
it takes time ok, my dad was scared of my snake, as was my bro, but i said there will be no probs, it takes time, get him to hold 1....i was scared of my hoggie till recently...lol jus put my hand in a picked it up...all good no probs but it takes that initial push for it all to go

hope that helps

·
Registered
111 Posts
LOL. never had problems with corns! been bitten by my rat snake! drew some blood but it didnt hurt, it was my fault anyway it was ffeding day and i had just held the mice...lol what a n00b, but that has been the only time he has ever struck at me.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
My eldest daughter was the first person to introduce a snake into our house - her dad never wanted one and due to his mum having a phobia of them he "inherited" that phobia. I personally had never had anything to do with them either but the first time I held our baby royal python Emily in my hands she was so unlike what I expected and I fell in love with her. Well we got her home and he gradually got used to her - he was told he never had to touch her or have anything to do with her and she was safely upstairs in daughter's bedroom in a escape-proof viv. Almost two years down the line he's now quite OK with her sitting next to him so long as she's attached to one of us and doesn't see her as a threat at all. He even drove us "way oop north" to get a boa last year :smile:

As for snake-o-phobe granny - first time she saw baby emily she leapt off the settee and fled to the far corner (not a mean feat for a 90-year old woman!!). Now she'll stay on the same settee and take no notice at all.

So go on, dad - say YESS!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts