Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have had for just over 3 weeks a 5ft 6, roughly about 4 or 5 year old Columbian Rainbow Boa, got it from the parents of a guy who was away at Uni all the time and he couldnt devote the time and attention needed. Anyways......was told it ate like a pig but when I got him he was due to shed. As I always feed my snakes on a Sunday without fail (I picked him up on the Saturday) I fed everyone, they all strike fed except the Boa. So i left the mouse in there overnight but didnt really expect him to eat it, which he didnt. Last Sunday I fed him again and he nearly took the feeding tongs with him he dived that quick for it. This Sunday we are back to the same thing as the first week, he looked at it but wasnt really interested.

Dont get me wrong, im not panicking over this at all. Just would like a couple of all yours views...do you think I should just feed the big fella once a fortnight, any other ideas? He is on large mice at the mo

Thanks in advance of any bits of knowledge you can pass on.

Regards, Nikki

(sorry for going on a bit)

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
a 5ft 6 boa. I'd guess this snake should be on large rats.. My 3 month old baby royal's will eat large mice, so i'm sure 5ft 6 boa's will require large to giant rats... go by the girth on the body. Some people would say they can take just over the girth of their body.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
royalpython said:
a 5ft 6 boa. I'd guess this snake should be on large rats.. My 3 month old baby royal's will eat large mice, so i'm sure 5ft 6 boa's will require large to giant rats... go by the girth on the body. Some people would say they can take just over the girth of their body.
Yeah, I do go on the girth, but he is a Columbian Rainbow Boa, he doesnt have the same girth as a BCI, these large mice are pretty large though... but still doesnt explain why he will eat one week and then not the next, surely if he wasnt getting enough food he would literally take my arm off the next week......

I do have some rats in my freezer and they would just be too big for him but thankyou for your reply. It is very much appreciated

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I feed my year old royal every ten days and my baby boa every seven days, as they get older and bigger they stop eating as often because they are not growing as much, stick to every fortnight and keep an eye on its weight, fortnightly should be ok.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
royalpython said:
ahh, ok.. never knew the rainbow's girth would be so small.. seen the boa bit and pressumed.. :)
I wouldnt say it was small, just not as huge as the average common boa...but you did make me think, i did just go and double check the sizes again of the mouse and I still believe that the mouse size is ok. I think I will just try him on every 10 - 14 days and monitor him very closely. Why cant he be like my Royals...they eat anything and everything on sight!!! I swear I can see them adjusting their jaws to see if they can fit my dog in sometimes when she's walking past :lol: but thanks for all the comments......they are very much appreciated :D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thinking its the frequency of feeding here, BRB ( ok NOT CRB but ) adult ones are reccommended to fed every fourteen days . I would ( tho have not kept CRB ) have thought that yours would be almost the same . Wait and see if anyone else adds to post.

Take care

G

·
Hi Nikki

I used to keep crb's a few years ago and my adults were roughly the same length as yours is now.I was feeding them 1 small rat every 14-18 days and they did extremely well on them.

As adults they tend to eat one larger meal and then nothing for a couple of weeks so it sounds like your doing the best thing starting with large mice but i would up it a little.Maybe try a weaner rat next feed then a small rat in a months time

·
Registered
543 Posts
Nicola.

I have a 3 1/2 ft CRB. She is on weaner rats, about the size of a jumbo mouse. I would expect yours to be on larger that a large mouse.

As for feeding, she can be a bit of a funny eater. Fed her last night and she nearly took my hand of. Other times when i feed her, she sniffs around but doesn't strike. When she does that, i hold the rats snout near her mouth so the can smell it. She then tends to sniff it for a while before pushing forward upto the rat and gently taking it into her mouth and swallowing it. This works most of the time for her. If she is obviously not interested and moves away from the rat, i skip that feed and try her a week later. She has probably only missed 2 feeds in the past year.

Dont expect a strike every time. My CRB certainly doesn't.

Hope that helps

Duzzie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts