Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya can anyone plz help? i have an adult female emporer scorpion and have had it for around a month now. i have jus checked on her and have noticed loads of tiny little insects running around n sum drowned in her water dish. does anyone kno what these are and what should i do to get rid of them? thanks very much:)

·
Registered
879 Posts
what do they look like?
and could you post a picture?
if they are small and white, and jumping about they are springtails.. which will be benificial to the vivarium by cleaning up any feaces :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sound like mites, take her out, get any of them off her if there are any, remove the substrate and bake it. use boiling water in the enclosure to kill anything living that you cant see, or if it's something you can throw away that'd be better.
A good way to avoid getting mites is removing dead pray items as soon as. : victory:
If they're almost so hard to see by naked eye, they could be springtails, but if they are about half a mm big they could be mites.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i couldnt post a picture no i can barely see them myself but i looked harder n theres quite a lot of them

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mites sound probable. Might sound stupid... but... they're not baby scorpions are they? How big we talking?
they r very very small with like antenna things on the front of em, n i think i saw like a tiny dot thing moving about aswell

·
Registered
888 Posts
i couldnt post a picture no i can barely see them myself but i looked harder n theres quite a lot of them
Could be springtails, they are benificial and wont do your Scorp any harm whatsoever. :)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh and while im on this subject what substrate would u all recomend as the best? i kno im gunna get about 15 different answers shot at me here lol at the minute im using a thing called humus brick were ya put the block in water n it all comes loose and everything u kno what i mean

·
Registered
888 Posts
oh and while im on this subject what substrate would u all recomend as the best? i kno im gunna get about 15 different answers shot at me here lol at the minute im using a thing called humus brick were ya put the block in water n it all comes loose and everything u kno what i mean
That's the best one. ;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
cheers mate
Could also add some vermiculite too if you need extra humidity.
i'd recommend the fine grain stuff though.
Dont put too much vermi in though, as if your scorp dig's, alot of vermi can be bad for burrows! but should be ok if it's about 70% sub 30% verm. :)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i actually bought a big bag of the stuff today cos im expecting sum baby beardies soon hopefully

·
Registered
888 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok new happenings ppl. i have just noticed like hundreds of tiny tiny tiny little things in her water dish n mooching around on top of the water what the ****in hell are they? does anyone kno? they r like soo small i would have never noticed if it was jus 1 of them but there is like a group on the water

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
OK, poke the water... do they all jump away?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nah man i put a pen in it n they moved to the side but thats jus cos of like the wter physics or whatever n they back in the middle now

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Hmm... can you get a picture at all? And how big it 'tiny tiny tiny little'? Like in mm.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts