Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to share this with you just to hear comments in case the same has ever happened to you.

I got bitten a few times by my boas, but last time I got bitten (in august 2006), something weird happenend. It was painful as usual and bled quite a bit :?

I was bitten in my hand and one of his fangs pierced my right thumb. After a couple of weeks all other bite marks had disappeared, but the thumb was still sensitive and swollen :roll:

After a month I noticed a small lump, tried to proceed a self operation with a needle and pincers, but it didn't work :(

So I decided to get over it, thinking one they the lump would go away. Everynow and again it would hurt like hell, as if I had a thorn in my thumb :oops:

Last weekend, I had enough, because it was hurting to strum my guitar or grip the drum stick with my right hand :?

After the shower, I decided to have another self surgery with the needle, after cutting the skin open, I squeezed the finger, and saw this white thing of approximately 3 millimeters poking out :wink:

Basically, all this long story to say I had part of a boa's tooth in my thumb for nearly 5 month :lol:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
i've heard that from a few people, a guy called pete who works in wiltons still had a bit of sommin in his hand where one tagged him, has anyone seen the fangs on a emeraly tree boa? omfg there huge...ill stick to pythons i think, much more littler!

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thing is, should I take my boa to a dentist now :?: :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
i had a blood python tooth in my finger once but it was only for a couple of days not five months :D

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
had a Crawl cay boa tooth in the joint of my thumb for three years,finally came out in two pieces an now i can move my thumb properly too,have removed many embedded teeth from my hands and arms,usually they only stay for a few days and are no problem,as for the snakes they are designed so that the loss of a tooth or two is of no consequence.
regards gaz
PS: as an aside i was once bitten in the ear by a 7 foot boa,anyone been bitten anywhere unusual? have also had several near misses with tree boas aiming for my eyes,is this a deliberate policy by them?has happened too often to be chance i think

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank god, I was only bitten in my hands to the date :roll:

Was the boa who bit you in the year generally aggressive, or was it something you've done wrong :roll: :?:

·
Registered
380 Posts
a snakes teeth are like sharks, when they loose one another takes its place. quite often hatchlings leave teeth when they bite.
there is no need to get it checked out just for loosing a tooth as they often loose teeth while feeding too.
has anyone seen the fangs on a emeraly tree boa?
i dont think anyone has ever seen fangs on a boa as they dont have any lol
but i know what you mean and yes they have the biggest teeth of all the boids

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But the impression I had when I squeezed his tooth out of my finger was that it was only a small part of a tooth (but big enough to have stuck in one's finger :( ).

Can they break in half, or is it more likely that it was a tiny tooth that fell off ? :roll:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
touche, but it was easier than saying " has anyone seen the size of the three biggest teeth in the front of an **amazon** tree boas mouth" lmao :lol:

**it is an emerald, not an amazon**(not an emeraly either) i'm not with it today!

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
rossthedon said:
lol i cant take the piss. when i got my first kingsnake i thought they had fangs but just no venom!
apparently, its the other way around?!? i've read that all snakes possesvenom, but few have delivery mechanisms to deliver it. does that include boids?

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
Dex the snake in question just had a random "moment" lol,lots of blood but not the worst bite i've had,
emeralds have good nashers yes,i have 9 basins here but have only had one bite off them in two years,ruschenbergerii like to bite in the evenings and are very persistent,often delivering several bites as you go about your business,lovely.
regards gaz

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
as long as it hurt dude, then it wasnt a pointless thread :lol:

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, the bite didn't hurt as much as my self op :D

Now I think I'm qualified to do it on others if you ever have the same problem :twisted:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
lol, damb shame, no decent wound then?>

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, boa bites normally hurt and bleed a lot, it maybe just that I got used to it now :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts