Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if any of your guys pokies webbed up much or are mine just really slack lol??

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
My old AF regalis used to web loads when she was in a temp. enclosue with just a piece of cork bark. But when I moved her into the exo & made a dark little corner for her with curved pieces of cork bark she hardly ever webbed. Only when moulting & then there was just like random strings of webbing around the entrance to her little hide.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My ornata is just a juvenile and it's just started to web up round it's cork bark but I'm sure it's ready for a molt. Only just had my metallica and it came in a tub with some webbing in it : victory:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Was just gonna ask the same question myself :2thumb: my rosea shed in oct and have noticed a lot of webbing just recently, so guess she's just that way inclined.

She's also a lot more mobile and roaming all over the place, so the viv is literally covered in webbing.

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
I find they tend to web up using the substrate. I always give mine at least 2 inches of substrate so they can do this. As slings i find they tend to prefer to burrow lmao

·
Registered
95 Posts
When mine was in its old smaller container it webbed the whole thing up, i dont have any pics of the entire enclosure but you can get an idea of how much web there was from this pic...

However, when she outgrew this tub, i got a proper tall glass home for her, she has been in there a good two months now and has barely webbed at all.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have found pokies kept alone don't tend to web very much, when in a colony though they web loads. Both my regalis and formosa colonies have laid a lot of web all over the tank, where as single individuals don't tend to lay much if any web.

Also I find the more secure the hide the less likely they are to web up the tank, sometimes I think they build web to try and feel more secure when they don't feel the hide is adequate.

·
Registered
16,413 Posts
as slings/juvies I find they web a fair bit..but as adults in a new enclosure they don't really seem to very much as long as they have a cork bark tube or pieces of curved bark to hide in.

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
I have found pokies kept alone don't tend to web very much, when in a colony though they web loads. Both my regalis and formosa colonies have laid a lot of web all over the tank, where as single individuals don't tend to lay much if any web.

Also I find the more secure the hide the less likely they are to web up the tank, sometimes I think they build web to try and feel more secure when they don't feel the hide is adequate.
Spot on!
So many people seem to provide the bare minimum in an enclosure with either very little hide, hoping their arboreal with go fossorial on them, or the bleakest 1 bit of bark enclosure. Since RobC has provided lots of videos on pokie set-ups I find lots of people copying the same, with low level cork tubes facing the entrance/exit. Whilst RobC proves it works for him this is not how pokies are found in their natural environment. They inhabit crevices and hollows in the trees, with little or no webbing apart from during the early stages.
Provide a good hide for them and you'll not find much webbing, colonise at early stages usually results in lots of webbing due to the moulting process.
Sticking them in a bare enclosure and they're likely to suffer stress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts