Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one yesterday! Went to nosey in a pet shop while i was in inverness yesterday and just as i was leaving saw box sitting with note saying empty boxes help yourself so i nabbed one. Delighted to find one tho was a hassle to bring home on train :lol2:. Such a strange thing to be excited about! Got a couple of questions as well.
Can i do the submersible heater method to incubate eggs in the poly box?
What wattage of heater should i use or does it matter?
When i do get eggs is it best to incubate them in airtight tub or an cricket box?
And can i incubate the eggs on moss? I'm having real probs getting vermiculite.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
when i incubated my wd eggs, i used a heat-mat on the bottom on a stat, the eggs were in cricket tubs with no lid in perilite(but its so annoying i wont be using it again) on a shelf.i expect moss would be fine: victory:

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
i woudl go for the heat mat optoin with a polybox.
as polysterene melts very easilly and gives of poisions / harmful fumes :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
We had good success using the water method with a fish tank heater/stat - the heater stat cost £15 quid, and kept the water a good steady temp. You should be able to get vermiculite at a garden centre.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've looked in the two shops that i would expect to sell vermiculite in the village (flower shop and the ironmongers), tried in inverness and couldn't find any. My mum won't let me order off net till she gets paid on thurs and i don't get paid till wed (it's just incase she lays before i can get some coz i've got moss.
I've got a 2" tank and can get water heater off my mate coz she has loads ranging between 100watts to 200/250watts, also now have the poly box and just need to decide which way to do. Does it matter what size of heatmat?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also is it normal for them not to eat much when the eggs first start to develop?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know what size heatmat is best? Can i use a small one or does it need to be big one?

·
Registered
312 Posts
i'd use a heat mat of a similar size to the floor space of the box. when i incubed my fat tail gecko eggs i used a polybox with a 11x11 heat mat on a thermostat, pulse proportional is the best. u really need a stat to control the temp, u cant trust the temp to stay constant. for the 1st day i tried without but temps got 2 hot and ambient room temps caused slight temp change. u really wanna avoid fluctuations as this can lead to deformities such as tail kinks. the eggs can b on moss but u really need something which will hold the moisture and cup the eggs so soft play sand might work for the mean time. also i used two cricket boxes, 1 to hold the eggs and substrate and another which held a small amount of water to maintain moisture levels. its probably best to keep the lid on the top 1 just remove the lid briefly once a day for fresh air (so just check on them,lol) hope this helps! and how much is she eating at the moment?/when did she last eat and how much?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Perlite will work just as well as vermiculite...I would have thought they would have sold it at the same place as the moss? Failing that Wilkinsons also sell it; I wouldnt be surprised if places like Tesco have it as well; I know B&Q and Homebase do. No idea if you have any places like this around you..! :)

I had a lot of problems with cricket tubs and I wouldnt recommend them personally unless you tape up nearly all of the holes. I found they were too well ventilated and a lot of moisture was lost. I much prefer tupperware boxes with a couple of holes punched in the side; they dont seem to fluctuate as much in terms of humidity. Then again, some people swear by cricket tubs, lol!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks i'll use big mat i've got. Any idea if it's normal for them not to eat? Ekko has two eggs in her but she's not interested in eating at the moment. She's not lost weight or anything.

·
Registered
937 Posts
My leos just laid eggs and she ate hardly anything.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was that the whole time she was gravid or just before she laid?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts