Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the planning stage at the moment and will be getting the Laguna 1300 litre holding tank.

I don't want to make something myself as I'd be too concerned about leakage. I know nothing about pond filters but I think they work differently to external aquarium filters? I've seen some pictures online where the filter has been set higher than the pond and think it's because gravity is used to return the water whilst a pump in the pond itself forces water up into the filter?

Based on a pond size of 1300 litres with turtle stock, what sort of filter should I be looking at? Are there any leading pond filter brands?

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Not sure about best brands to buy, but you are right about the standard pond filters using gravity. So the outlet does have to be above water level. I know you already said you didn't want to make one, but a bog standard non pressurised pond filter is basically a box for holding media which you attach a separate pump to, so by using a storage box (or bin!) you're doing the very same thing pretty much. Plus you decide how much biomedia it can hold, by choosing what size of container to use :)

You can get pressurised pond filters which work the same as aquarium canister filters (and can sit anywhere since they don't use gravity) but for turtles in 1300 L you'd be pretty expensive :?

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't remember what the recommended filtration calculation is i.e. how many times an hour should the water be recycled?

·
Super Moderator
16,539 Posts
We've "built" filters for both the outdoor and indoor ponds, following Graham's expert advice given on here. It wasn't hard and neither have leaked.

For filtration this is from the sticky he put at the top of this section:

Articles: Filtration._

Hope it helps - if we can, let us know!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Fishmate, laguna, hozelock are some of the pressurised pond filter manufactures. They still need a pump, but the filter can be hidden out of site.

The pressurised filters dont have a very good reputation in terms of pond filtration but should work better on a small indoor pond. I think the problem is that the figures they quote are based on very low stocking levels and they end up clogging up or require constant cleaning. If you choose one then I would half the quoted filtartion capacity. i.e. for your 1300l pond get one that does at least 2600l.

You always plenty of these advertised second hand as people buy them for ponds and soon realise they are not up to the job.

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Fishmate, laguna, hozelock are some of the pressurised pond filter manufactures. They still need a pump, but the filter can be hidden out of site.

The pressurised filters dont have a very good reputation in terms of pond filtration but should work better on a small indoor pond. I think the problem is that the figures they quote are based on very low stocking levels and they end up clogging up or require constant cleaning. If you choose one then I would half the quoted filtartion capacity. i.e. for your 1300l pond get one that does at least 2600l.

You always plenty of these advertised second hand as people buy them for ponds and soon realise they are not up to the job.
I assumed pressurised pond filters didn't need a separate pump :gasp: That makes them stupidly expensive in my book then, if you need to buy a separate pump as well anyway. Ridiculous, that is.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
You can often find second-hand pressurised pond filters on eBay much cheaper than new, pound for pound they are generally less effective than box filters but can provide a workable solution, especially if you need to mount the filter alongside or below the pond. I've been using a Hozelock one for several years and it does the job.

Any of the smaller box filters will work, there's not a lot to choose between them TBH as the principle is so simple, and for relatively small indoor ponds you don't need such a high capacity pump as you'd use for a large outdoor pond, in most cases one of the larger capacity powerheads from an internal filter is quite adequate, you can even use the whole internal filter as the foam acts as a pre-filter.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
That would be fine, and yes you can usually turn the fountain off.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to come back to this. I've been emailing a pond supplies retailer about various equipment and they've said I should be looking at 10,000 litres per hour filtration on a 1300 litre pond with turtle stock. I don't mind the added expense and over filtration can't be a bad thing but would the output flow be too much for turtles? Mine seem to prefer to be out of the flow in their current set up. I'm not sure how I could lessen the flow around the pond.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
10,000 lph is far too much, I think the pump for my pond (approx 1600 litres) is 1200 lph max, and in reality probably manages a bit less than that as it has to pump the water up about a foot to the first filter box. Admittedly my filters are enormous in comparison to the pond!

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
That should do it, I use an older version of that filter for one of my larger indoor setups, but with a less powerful pump, it should be fine for the size of tank that you're planning.

You can still add a box filter later on if you need to, maybe grow some plants in it too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts